Skip to main content
Topic: leaving the 5.0 engine (Read 6413 times) previous topic - next topic

leaving the 5.0 engine

well, because of gas prices, i have decided to getrid of my 5.0. i have been looking around and what i want to do is put a 2jz GTE motor. its the motor thats in the supra. it will be the first foxbody thunderbird with it that i know of.  its all cheap stuff too. i can get everything, puls install for under $5,000. im planning on running 500 to 600HP. i already have everything lined up. its going in halfway through summer. im sorry if some of you guys dont agree, but its about the gas. i will get way better gas mileage if i dont get into it too much.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #1
And the $5K outlay will be offset by what? 

How long will it take you to recover that cost with the improved gas mileage?
$5K will buy 1250 gallons of gas at $4/gal.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #2
Quote from: Chuck W;218620
And the $5K outlay will be offset by what? 

How long will it take you to recover that cost with the improved gas mileage?
$5K will buy 1250 gallons of gas at $4/gal.

X2.But in the longrun,it's up top you.It will be different,that's for sure.good luck.Are selling the 5.0?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #3
+1 for Chuck..

Plus like a 500hp 6 cylinder is going to get very much more mileage than a 5.0 V8.

There is no such thing as an economical 500hp engine.

As Spock would say, "Illogical"

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #4
What MPG do you plan on getting out of the new motor?

1250 x MPG =

Miles you drive on averge a year/ above total =

and see what it come to and do you think youll save money? as for the power it sounds like a cheaper route but overall cost... gas prices isnt the best reason.
1986 Cougar LS

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #5
Even with the E303 cam,I'm getting about 25-26 mpg on the highway.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #6
i can get everything, puls install for under $5,000.

I'll say it now.....You'll go over $6,000....

Nothing ever goes perfect and in a one off project such as this prices tend to spiral upwards....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #7
If your planning on jacking that supra motor to 600+ hp, you're not going to get much better milage than your 5.0. And it's not going to be as durable or reliable.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #8
In his defense, stock Supra blocks will handle 1000+ HP.....Problem is as many have joked:  1000 HP 2JZ = 500 HP anything else.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #9
Well I could care less what he stuffs in there, I was just trying to point out that claiming mileage is the reason for the swap is bogus as the money spent on the engine swap will net him 25K miles on an engine that gets 20mpg. 

He would have to drive that car for a LONG time for the saving from the supposed better mileage on the Supra engine will be realized. 

Even if gas prices continue to climb, unless this magicall engine gets 35-40 all the time (which it won't), it's just not cost-effective.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #10
$5000 buys a hell of a nice high-MPG commuter bubble to drive everyday and still enjoy the 5.0 on weekends...

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #11
@OP:  Hate to burst your bubble but even a 300hp EVO motor gets just 19city 24hwy mpg....my 5.0 does better than that.

EDIT:  I agree with P71 as well.  5k could get you a very nice little 4cyl econo box that gets 30-40mpg.  You'd probably even have ~2k left over.  Your current idea just isnt practical.  You'd probably get worse gas mileage in the first place, and even IF it was an improvment, it'd be minimal and would never really pay for itself.

Windsor > Supra 6 .. always

Reply #12
Not to dogpile too much, but there is another solution, a more economical solution that will meet your performance goals.  One that Ford figured out when they were making your car. 

And you won't even have to change hoods (hint hint).
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #13
Lol!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;218632
Well I could care less what he stuffs in there, I was just trying to point out that claiming mileage is the reason for the swap is bogus as the money spent on the engine swap will net him 25K miles on an engine that gets 20mpg. 

He would have to drive that car for a LONG time for the saving from the supposed better mileage on the Supra engine will be realized. 

Even if gas prices continue to climb, unless this magicall engine gets 35-40 all the time (which it won't), it's just not cost-effective.

But its Toyorta :mullet: its green:pbb:

All joking aside if i was in your situation would keep the 5o.