Skip to main content
Topic: leaving the 5.0 engine (Read 6494 times) previous topic - next topic

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #30
Quote from: quicksilver;218703
ooo my 5.0 is just a SO motor and it gets 12.5mpg in the city.
im planning on living in the same town or one near by. i dont really drive on the freeway to much, unless going to the drags. but there is no way i could get a 500HP 5.0 and get the same gas mileage as a 500hp 3.0.

Road & Track magazine just did a shootout test between the 7.0L V8 Corvette with 505hp, the Nissan GT-R twin turbo 3.8L V6 with 480hp, and the Porsche 911 Turbo Flat 6 3.6L with 480hp. 

For fuel economy here were the results:

Corvette: 17.5 mpg

GT-R: 17.5 mpg

Porsche:  17.2 mpg

So you see at high horsepower levels the displacement of the engine really means [SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"]JACK FOR ECONOMY[/COLOR][/SIZE]

You are also not taking into account the pain in the ass in fabrication and money it will cost you to make custom motor and tranny mounts to get that puppiesanese engine to fit.

This is a bad idea any way you look at it...    :shakehead

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #31
Maybe you better learn some stuff about Tbirds in general....if your car is getting 12 mpg, you need to spend money and fix it, instead of wanting to replace it with something else that is, quite frankly, well beyond your abilities to accomplish.

You have a nice Tbird. Spend the money to do an HO conversion, add a decent power-adder, and buy a economy car to travel in..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #32
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;218715
Spend the money to do an HO conversion, add a decent power-adder, and buy a economy car to travel in..

Couldn't have said it better.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #33
why does everybody alway rag on somebody just for being original? I say do it and i bet with the right tune up he could get better milage with the 3.0 than from a 5.0 and still make more power than the 5.0 ever will
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #34
Quote from: quicksilver;218712
i want something that people havent seen done before.
so what your saying is, the gas milage will be the same both having 500hp or close? its also the cheapest way for me to make 500hp. to make 500hp with a stock HO is risky! but its not ricky for the 2JZ GTE. and like i said, its a long term thing. every mpg i get is one less gallon i have to pay for! im planning on having that motor for along time.

You are not going to get better mileage with that kind of motor.  Five hundred horsepower!?!?!?!  First off, there is nothing stock about a 500HP motor out of a Supra.  Is it going to be a TT Supra?  Yes the block can handle that power, but how about oil consumption?  How about overall longevity?  I agree with the above poster.  I think you are BS ing us all with your mileage claims.  Cheap?  Man, you can get a 500HP crate engine 5.0 if that's what you want.  But I guarantee you gas mileage will be disappointing either way.  Spend your Father's hard earned money on something else.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #35
i can see what you mean by just getting a ho conversion, but then i'll just be like everyone else. the same thing.
i  know its going to take hard work to do it. i know im going to spend some days just pissed off if things arent going as planned but i think its worth the time. you guys might not think so, but i dont want to blend in.
and you shouldnt tell someone that its beyond there abilities, ESPECIALLY if you dont even know the person!
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #36
Quote from: cougarman;218717
why does everybody alway rag on somebody just for being original? I say do it and i bet with the right tune up he could get better milage with the 3.0 than from a 5.0 and still make more power than the 5.0 ever will

We're not ragging on him for being original.... If he wants a Supra engine in it just 'cause, that's cool with me....But his reasoning to do it for better mileage makes no logical sense at all. (Though I personally find cross-breading different makes distasteful, to each his own)

Also a 500hp small block Ford built properly will be as or more reliable than a 500hp supra engine.

If you want a Supra engine so bad why not just get a Supra body and call it all good?!?

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #37
i will have to do minor supporting mods, no different then what i'd have to do with a crate 5.0
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #38
thanks cougarman

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #39
Quote from: cougarman;218717

The reason is that once you're getting to numbers that high you just CANT see that kind of gas mileage. The one rare exception being Corvettes, because they flow so freakin ridiculously and its a go-kart and the engine is matched to that chassis etc in every way and of course that last 6th gear in the what is it T56 I *think?* is nuts and it practically idles along at highway speed so they'll do like low to mid 20s highway and make 500+ horse (talkin the Z06 here).

Quicksilver, if you're not going to be able to afford the gas, you really need to re-think whether or not it's a good idea to be building up this car. If you were thinking of actually doing a build ANYwhere in even the neighborhood of 400-500 horse, take that money and get yourself the cheapest most economical beater you can find yet still solid and reliable, as in spend enough money that the thing isn't already too BEATEN. Then what you got left over, throw into the 'bird here and there, little things. I don't know what you have done already, but you do, so find out what extra you can do with what funds you have.

Gasoline only has so much potential energy per unit volume. When you're making 500 horsepower it doesn't really matter how big or small of a vacuous space the reaction the stuff is undergoing takes place in.....it's still gonna need a lot to move a mass that quickly and with that much force...its simple chemistry/physics really. Maybe a bit of a stretch but I liken it to saying "I wanna go fast on my bicycle but I don't want to pedal hard". Cant be done.

And definitely find out what's wrong presently...even city you definitely should see more than 12 mpg dude.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #40
RED SPAR, how much money do you think a properly built 5.0 cost?!?!?!?!

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #41

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #42
oo i can afford gas, i'd just rather spend my money on saving for a bike, because my dad is using his money for my motor. but when im not WOT, just grandma driving(which i do alot already), its just like driving a normal 6cyl, minus bigger injectors.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #43
A 500HP Ford V-8 is gunna be cheaper than a 500HP Supra motor...EASY...but I'll shut up now. :crazy:

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #44
SSC Ultimate Aero

Engine
6.3 liters    

Weight
2750 lbs

Aspiration
twin turbochargers    

Torque
1094 lb-ft @ 6150 rpm

HP
1183 hp @ 6950 rpm        

1/4 mile
9.9 seconds @ 144 mph

0-60 mph
2.78 seconds    

Top Speed
257 mph

Fuel Economy:
18 City/27 Highway

Now I know this thing is very aerodynamic and weighs a few hundred less than these cars, but either way you look at it, it is a turbo'd 6.3 liter motor. Trade half the performance for more efficiency to make up for the drag/weight differences, you still come out ahead. It's still about the energy available in the gasoline, what forces you must push/push against, and how it's tuned (including choice of gearing!).
1988 Thunderbird Sport