Topic: leaving the 5.0 engine (Read 6546 times) previous topic - next topic

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #60
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Toyota Ftmfw!!!!one

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dude, you were gone for tooooo long!  I forgot how hard you make me laugh!:D
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #61
Man, some great advice from some guys who obviously have worked on some 5.0's before.  If I was this kid, which I am thankful I'm not, but nonetheless, I would get an 88-up 5.0HO, I would rebuild the short block, insert a cam, top off some AFR's, and have fun from there.  I don't think he realizes how "un-friendly" 500HP from a small Supra motor is going to be on the street and how fun the above mentioned 5.0HO would truly be in his car.  But oh well, kids need to learn from their mistakes.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #62
and i dont think he knows what all will be involved in doing a transplant like that, either.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #63
Quote from: LJS30;218765
Man, some great advice from some guys who obviously have worked on some 5.0's before.  If I was this kid, which I am thankful I'm not, but nonetheless, I would get an 88-up 5.0HO, I would rebuild the short block, insert a cam, top off some AFR's, and have fun from there.  I don't think he realizes how "un-friendly" 500HP from a small Supra motor is going to be on the street and how fun the above mentioned 5.0HO would truly be in his car.  But oh well, kids need to learn from their mistakes.

Exactly.  I bought a 100% complete 5.0 HO (WITH accesories) for $375.  With his $5k budget, that could be waaaaaaaay more than 500hp if that's what he wanted, or he could keep it stock and get solid gas mileage.  So either way, it'd be a win-win situation.

Quote from: 32VFoxBird;218769
and i dont think he knows what all will be involved in doing a transplant like that, either.

Couldn't agree more.  It's not as simple as "make my own mounts, then it'll drop right in."

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #64
Cool idea, Dunno how well it will play out...
Theres gonna be a ton of fab and rewiring work involved with this swap.

But if your willing, I would say go for it.
Just research, and really be sure it's what you want to do.

And don't expect much/any gas mileage improvement... :flame:

BTW,
Theres a Complete 2JZ GTE w/ Trans and Turbos on ebay for under $2500 shipped right now (7 available? lol):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-TOYOTA-2JZ-GTE-W-AT-COMPLETE-ENGINE-SWAP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQihZ002QQitemZ120261306808QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #65
A toyota won't go blub, blub, blub, blub, (stomp)BWAAAAAAAAAAA.

It will go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, (stomp)wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Who wants that?

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #66
Quote from: xjeffs;218786
A toyota won't go blub, blub, blub, blub, (stomp)BWAAAAAAAAAAA.

It will go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, (stomp)wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Who wants that?
:giggle:

You forgot the part after "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee", namely,

ka-POW,  kathunka kathunka kathunka.
Ring, ring, ring. 
"Uh dad, it's time to overnite parts from puppiesan.  Again."

And you thought the first explosion was loud.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #67
Guys, let me say first that by no means am I trying to be smart.  However, I must mention this comment my wife said when she read this thread last night.  Now mind you, this is coming from a woman who raced imports in her teens and is in love with the TT Supra.  She said, "this kid has watched "Too Fast Too Silly" way too many times.  :flame:

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #68
I'm surprised that no one has even brought up the fact that 500 horsepower is going to be way too much for this guy. I've driven some 500+ horsepower cars, and they are downright scary at times. Traction only becomes a myth with that power and street tires.

I wasn't even making 300 horsepower in my previous TC, and I was outrunning so many different cars, including 5.0 cars, LT1 cars, Saleen S281, and other cars that were claimed to be fast.

Horsepower is a number, not something that determines how big your dick is and how fast your car is.

If you want the 2JZ, go ahead and do the 2JZ, but you will get a big sticker shock when you go to buy aftermarket parts for it. Sure you get a stout engine block, and a power plant with a lot of potential, but once you're past the bolt on stages, you're going to spend A LOT of money.
It's Gumby's fault.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #69
Quote from: Tbird232ci;218833
I'm surprised that no one has even brought up the fact that 500 horsepower is going to be way too much for this guy. I've driven some 500+ horsepower cars, and they are downright scary at times. Traction only becomes a myth with that power and street tires.

I wasn't even making 300 horsepower in my previous TC, and I was outrunning so many different cars, including 5.0 cars, LT1 cars, Saleen S281, and other cars that were claimed to be fast.

Horsepower is a number, not something that determines how big your dick is and how fast your car is.

If you want the 2JZ, go ahead and do the 2JZ, but you will get a big sticker shock when you go to buy aftermarket parts for it. Sure you get a stout engine block, and a power plant with a lot of potential, but once you're past the bolt on stages, you're going to spend A LOT of money.

Yep, even my dad's Chevelle at a modest 400hp/475ftlb is on the verge of scary at times, especially since it's on simple street tires.  Hell, even in my car that barely runs 14s, I've had 1 or 2 occasions where I've stomped on it and she kicked hard enough to scare me a little (under perfect conditions).  I gotta agree with the posts above...again.  It's a shame the OP is shying away from the great bang-for-the-buck that the 5.0 aftermarket provides.  Those import parts will be priiiiiiicey.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #70
You two guys who posted above me make some further points that this kid fails to realize.  That kind of power is going to bring on so many other factors that can really make things a major headache.  How about driveshaft and rear end upgrades?  How about the frame?  How about brakes?  How about idle quality?  Will it run vacuum accessories?  Oh well, I was young too and used to be all hung up on HUGE horsepower numbers on a street driven car which would never seee 6000RPMS'.  Oh well, youth is wasted on the foolish.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #71
yep.  And a roll cage.  I've read every post on here.  And I thought I'd just add that the Supra is engineered to handle that amount of hp.  The tbird is not.  When forking out the money to do such a swap, and having to build up every other aspect of the car to achieve safety and stability without breaking anything, the money will add up.  This tells me that just buying a Supra altogether is the best bet in the long run. However if you still decide to attempt the engine swap, don't be discouraged, as this will be a learning process.  I have 20 years of learning behind me and the one thing that always comes to mind now, is safety.  At 500 hp the brakes better be more than adequate....you don't want to be paying for someone elses hospital bills.

And one last thing....when yer out on your own, you'll quickly realize how valuable $3000 is.  Good luck.
1987 TC

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #72
I agree with everything just said. You'd have to rebuild the car from the wheels up for a motor like that.
You've seen what I'm doing to my car frame for just a 5.0 HO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #73
What modifications have you done to your engine so far?  HO upgrade? GT40P heads? Cam? Headers?

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #74
Quote from: Tbird232ci;218833

:iagree:

My T-bird makes some where near 300 hp (maybe :D ) and it can be scary at times. When you're going from 155 hp to almost double that you really are in for quite a shock in the way a car drives and handles. Hell I'm betting he would be shocked by a stock HO.

No there is no comparison between a 300 hp car and a 500 hp car. Just because you can drive a 300 hp car doesn't mean that you can drive a 500 hp car. There is a big difference. I've driven both a 300 hp car (a 2007 Mustang GT) and a 500 hp car (a 2007 Shelby GT500). If you think a stock GT is quick then a GT500 will make you piss your pants. There is NO comparison. 500 hp is just stupid scary.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.