Skip to main content
Topic: leaving the 5.0 engine (Read 6495 times) previous topic - next topic

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #15
I love that motor, but imagine what else you could do with $3k, sparing the other $2k for gas...  Your 5.0 could have 400+ horsepower, and you could still afford to drive it.

One more thing...

Reply #16
You don't even have to experiment, because somebody's already done it.

If you decide to tune the EEC, you can change when it goes into open loop and really get good gas mileage.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #17
Even I won't pimp the 2.3T as a motor to go to if you want gas mileage, especially if you see a lot of in-town driving.  They don't shine in that respect.

They can pull down highway mileage that is impressive though (I've seen as high as 30-32mgp on my personal cars), but the trick to getting that on a highly-modded 2.3T is going to be the tune.  The stock ECUs suck when you try and operate them outside their set parameters.  Tweaking the closed/open loop switchover point helps though.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #18
Chuck, I pretty much agree with everything you've posted in this thread.

I was thinking along these lines - IF you take that mythical $5K budget for increasing gas mileage and power, he could do a lot worse than swapping in a 2.3T.  He might even be able to do it for "free", if he can find someone that wants to get swap in a V8 in place of that of that "slow" 4 cylinder.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #19
What's gas mileage?  Never heard of it.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #20
Quote from: kingcars;218634
@OP:  Hate to burst your bubble but even a 300hp EVO motor gets just 19city 24hwy mpg....my 5.0 does better than that.

I saw one of those '08's just last week - look decent although they don't have much room. You'd think a turbo 4 cylinder would go better than 24mpg (ours are rated the same but unlike the new cars, ours normally get better than the original ratings). I'd assume it's all in the gearing.

Go 2.73's and a 5 speed if you want economy, and a power adder if you want high numbers. I can't see a mildly turbo'd 5.0 getting any worse gas mileage when driven sanely than NA. Tuned, moderately boosted cars generally do a little better economy wise when driven normally anyways (from what I've seen).

Keep in mind that horsepower goes along with rpm's - a 5.0 ingests 5 liters of mixture per revolution so it makes power sooner. Not taking anything but displacement into the equation, a similarly built 2.5 liter motor would have to run at 10,000 rpm's to make the same power as a 5.0 at 5,000. The losses from high rpm's may counteract the weight of the rotating assembly in a larger engine... Anyways, having a shorter power band, the 5.0 runs in its efficient range much more often than a car who revs all over the place. From here you decide on whether or not you want to gear lower (higher ratio) for even more tire burning fun or keep it higher for economy.

My opinion - don't waste the money. The only area a smaller motor with high numbers is good at is taking off at high speeds already. It will likely struggle to get the car moving and let you down with both its performance and economy. Its torque curve is not where you want it to be for a heavier car. Idling though, the 5.0 wastes plenty of fuel.

It takes the same amount of energy(fuel) to effectively overcome physics. The only way to drop your gas bill is to get a lighter car that has low drag. Corollas, certain Civics, certain Saturns, Metros, hybrids, and the new breed of mini-cars in the US are really the only choices. These all generally do 30+ city and 40+ highway with their killer 100 and below horsepower motors.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #21
I would do it for the sake of doing it and not for gas mileage. 

Plus, I just thought I'd add that the downtime while doing the swap will cost you too.  be it bumming rides, cab fair, buses, your 10mpg truck, etc...Don't ask how I know, and how I ended up buying and driving a Saturn in the meantime, and how the gas prices weren't this high back then, and that my truck doesn't even get 10 mpg, and I ended up having to drive the Saturn all the time now, even though the project is finished, and the next project isn't and....

Ah, Hell, by the time I get the Tbird or the 48 F1 on the road, I'll have to take a loan out to drive them, but it'd be worth it!!!
1987 TC

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #22
i should have clearified. its the best horsepower to gas milage ratio i could think of without getting a 4banger. they come with forged internals. plus, i just love supras!! if i could afford one, i would buy it in a heart beat! but this project, im thinking over a long period. im going to have this car till i die. but sometime along the road. all motors die. and when that happens. im going to put a big block in it, and live out my days doing wheelies.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #23
ooo and i couldnt find anyone with a 2JZ GTE motor on the website
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #24
ooo my 5.0 is just a SO motor and it gets 12.5mpg in the city.
im planning on living in the same town or one near by. i dont really drive on the freeway to much, unless going to the drags. but there is no way i could get a 500HP 5.0 and get the same gas mileage as a 500hp 3.0.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #25
and my dad is paying for a good chunk of it for my graduation present

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #26
Quote from: quicksilver;218700
i should have clearified. its the best horsepower to gas milage ratio i could think of without getting a 4banger. they come with forged internals. plus, i just love supras!! if i could afford one, i would buy it in a heart beat! but this project, im thinking over a long period. im going to have this car till i die. but sometime along the road. all motors die. and when that happens. im going to put a big block in it, and live out my days doing wheelies.

Have you taken ANYTHING we said into consideration?  You're not going to get better gas mileage.  PERIOD.

Even if you DID, it would be VERY slight and by the time it would pay off, you'd be well off on another project with the car; either that, or it will be a weekend driver/project car and paying for gas wont be much of an issue.

EDIT:  If you're getting 12.5mpg right now then something is either wrong with the way you drive or the engine.  Even my old SO got solid 19-20mpg.  My HO gets in the mid 20s all day long.

Besides, if you're gonna be into hot rodding, you're gonna have to pay the price.  It's like a golfer complaining about buying golf balls.  If you dont wanna pay the price, dont partite in the hobby.  You're never going to get good gas mileage and high horsepower.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #27
I'm sorry but this project goes completely against logic and reason.

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #28
Quote from: kingcars;218706
You're never going to get good gas mileage and high horsepower.

That statement basically sums up this whole thread.

I dunno shiznit about Supra engines, but I can rather well bet that a 500 horse inline 6 won't get much better mileage than a 500 horse V8.

What does it matter anyway?
If you wanna do it, then do it, but don't bullshiznit us about better mileage from such a swap, cause we know better.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

leaving the 5.0 engine

Reply #29
i want something that people havent seen done before.
so what your saying is, the gas milage will be the same both having 500hp or close? its also the cheapest way for me to make 500hp. to make 500hp with a stock HO is risky! but its not ricky for the 2JZ GTE. and like i said, its a long term thing. every mpg i get is one less gallon i have to pay for! im planning on having that motor for along time.