Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138497 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #690
Not sure...looks like my choice of oil filter may have caused it (stupid 99.9% efficiency Purolator...aint touchin those ever again).
Weak. Sounds like a cop-out to me. Lucky it wasn't a $4000 build. Regardless, I'm sure you are anxious to put this behind you. I know i would be. Season is half over. ;0(
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #691
Quote from: shame302;281079
Weak. Sounds like a cop-out to me.

We'll see what happens.

Season is half over. ;0(

Dont remind me :(

Reply #692
Season is half over. ;0(

season half over for what? street racing is always in season.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #693
Quote from: kingcars;281074

Not sure...looks like my choice of oil filter may have caused it (stupid 99.9% efficiency Purolator...aint touchin those ever again).

You know Motorcraft FL-1A filters are just re-labeled Purolator filters right? I've been running FL-1A filters on my 5.0 since the rebuild and even before with no problems. On non Fords in my family I always run Purolator filters. They are some of the best ones out there.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #694
Coulda just been a crazy freak occurance....:( same here Lou I use nothing but FL-1A's since the Advance right by me carries MCraft stuff.

Im personally still shocked that not ZERO but simply not "maximum" oil pressure grenaded that thing. Maybe because it was still being broken in?

I guess Id do like Im sure youre planning on, just be a puppies about the pressure keep an eye trained right on that, just check the filter all the time I guess, once a week pull it off see if its nice and full like it should be. It could have been THAT oil filter....a small part of me wants to agree with shame302 though...I just cant get past it doing that without being totally starved of oil. That thing was not starved IMO. Weird stuff...idk
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #695
Well dad is somewhat in the same train of thought...he thinks the crank was just a HAAAIIIR off of perfect clearance.  However, I'd think something like that would have been apparent much sooner than after 1000 miles of pretty hard driving/lots of high RPMs.  I don't honestly expect to ever know for sure what happened, I just hope that iteration #2 lasts like it freakin should.  I'm growing tired of this.

Reply #696
Well no real news regarding the 306...still waiting to get the block and stuff back.  After considering that it's still 2-3 weeks before we get the stuff back, another 4-5 weeks to build it, then another weekend to put it in, dad and I have decided to finally regasket the old HO as planned and put it in.  I ordered the last few things today:  mechanical oil pressure and water temp gauges, another flywheel, and underdrive pulleys.  Plan to include the 3g alt and Mark VIII fan in the install.  Might have it in this weekend...stay tuned.

Reply #697
Ok well today is a weird day...because I have some good news....and more good news!

The first good news is that thanks to some help from a friend and my dad, the HO is almost ready to go back in.  Fully regasketed now with only a few small things left.  We also found the probable cause of its blowby/oil burning issue...the PCV filter was clogged to high heaven, so I got a new one.

The more good news is that my dad is buying me a new cast steel crank as my college graduation gift (though I didnt ask for a gift :) ).  Also, after the balancing, the machine shop is going to mic everything for proper clearances and even assemble the short block for us so all we have to do is the top end.  I'm excited...things are finally looking good again.

Reply #698
Wow I guess nobody cares anymore...but I'll keep updating.  Engine is going in tomorrow.  Cant wait to have my car baaaack!

Reply #699
People wanna see pics of good things....or carnage...maybe carnage is preferable I dunno. Perhaps if it threw a couple rods and opened up your oil pan for you. :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #700
Quote from: kingcars;283530
Wow I guess nobody cares anymore...but I'll keep updating.  Engine is going in tomorrow.  Cant wait to have my car baaaack!

I'm watching, I'm watching!!  :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #701
:ttiwwp:
Or maybe I post to many. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #702
Well I had planned to have pics of the engine in the car posted right about now.....but the stupid flywheel that I ordered didn't come with the dowel pins, despite the fact that I ordered the same exact flywheel for the 5 speed swap and it did come with them.  Hopefully we can get them tomorrow.

Reply #703
Ok so now that the local Ford place had the dowel pins for us this morning, progress has finally been made on the project I like to call "Tbird: Resurrection"

Can anybody spot the 3 "major" changes from stock?

The first 2 should be easy to spot and once you see those, the 3rd is pretty easy to guess.  Anyways, she's only a couple hours of work away from firing up, barring any major problems!  :D

Reply #704
hedders, 3g alt,.. and you got me on the last one.....
No wait.... its a no restriction hot air intake!!!!!!
LOL J/K
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!