Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138496 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #675
And get rid of the pistons I already spent $500 on?  Haha...I'm taking donations!

Reply #676
did the oil pickup screen look clogged?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #677
No, it looks fine.  The only real strange thing we noticed is that there was very little oil in the oil filter when we took it out.

Reply #678
ask how much more it would cost to go to a zero balance. The more vibrations there are at higher rpm's, the more power you will lose and the more the block will wear and the crank will bend.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #679
I hate this thread. It reminds me of my own trials with my first motor that had a bad block due to the ignorant machine shop. Remember the mention of checking EVERYTHING before putting it together and starting it? :p I wish I had spent more in the beginning to come out ahead with better parts and lower cost in the end.

I'm not sure which is worse, having to machine a different block or having to start over with a new crank. Both cases, you're starting from scratch. Bearings and gaskets add up fast.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #680
Well, we plastiguaged the clearances during assembly and everything was dead on spec, so who the heck knows.  Could have been a blockage in an oil passage somewhere also, we won't know for sure just yet.  But yeah...all that small stuff adds up.  Not looking forward to it.  Luckily, I had gotten the reusable blue rubber valve cover and oil pan gaskets, so at least I wont have to get those again.

Reply #681
Ok so I looked through the 3g alt thread/sticky out of curiosity and and final drafts are gone...can anyone point me to them?

Reply #682
Quote from: kingcars;276158
Ok so I looked through the 3g alt thread/sticky out of curiosity and and final drafts are gone...can anyone point me to them?

only thing I found is this..

Quote from: jcassity;179687
post forwarded to public link

not sure what that means or where the public link is??!!  I might have it saved at home, I'll check for you when I'm done at work
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #683
annnnd. anthony. you dont need to change your .030 over pistons to make a 347 or 331.

thats alllllll in the crank. different stroke.

Reply #684
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;276166
annnnd. anthony. you dont need to change your .030 over pistons to make a 347 or 331.

I believe you do, the piston is shorter in height to allow for more strokage LOL... just a guess double check that with your engine builder/machinist
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #685
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;276166

ummm, yes you do. crnk, rods, and pistons will need to be changed.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #686
Yeah so...going 331/347 is 100% not an option, unless I happen to win the lottery very soon haha.  The bottom end has already cost me more than what the car cost :hick: .  And yeah, thats all I found in that thread as well...hence why I can't find it :( .

Reply #687
Ok, so nothing major to report at the moment.  Scored a Mark VIII efan and a 130amp alternator...gonna grab some UD pulleys soon as well.  As far as the engine, even the machinist is stumped.  The oil filter is the only think we can really point at...even though it was clean when opened up.  Who knows.  Either way, I hope to have the parts back in my hands within the next few weeks and ready to go back together...maybe with a couple of surprises in store. :)  Let's just say that I think she'll be back with a vengeance.

Reply #688
I bet you are ready to get it back on the road.  So is the machinist going to make it right with you?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #689
Quote from: 50tbrd88;281073
I bet you are ready to get it back on the road.

Saying that the past 2 months have been miserable is an understatement :(

Quote from: 50tbrd88;281073

So is the machinist going to make it right with you?

Not sure...looks like my choice of oil filter may have caused it (stupid 99.9% efficiency Purolator...aint touchin those ever again).