Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138491 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #660
Engine came out today...no real leaks or anything to speak of, which is awesome. May tear into it a little bit tomorrow before work to get a sneak peak at what could be wrong. I'll keep you all updated.

Reply #661
Engine is apart...rod and main bearings are FUBAR, everything else seems to have made it fine though.  Looks like the crank wasn't quite right somehow...maybe didn't fit perfectly in the block, we can't be sure.  It wasn't the crank that came with the block; the crank that came with the engine was too far gone, so we're wondering if just this crank didn't quite fit perfectly somehow since the crank's wear spots are only in certain places as opposed to full rings that go all the way around it; even though when we built it, we plastiguaged the clearances and they were good.  Who knows.

Reply #662
sounds like the crank was bent.... Which would also explain your viberation issues... Did you have the block aline honed before installing that crank?

Reply #663
well if your buying a crank you might as well buy a stroker crank :) theres always a positive side. Good Luck with the rebuild kingcars... hang in there :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #664
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;275678
sounds like the crank was bent.... Which would also explain your viberation issues... Did you have the block aline honed before installing that crank?

I wouldn't say the crank was BENT since the vibration didn't occur until after 1000 miles.  But a loose, wiped out rear main bearing seems to be the most obvious culprit.

And no, the block was not aline honed as far as I know.  It definitely will be this time around.

Reply #665
On the good side,it's only money.LOL.Good luck.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #666
your bearings took a shiznit, because you lost oil pressure, right?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #667
It's kinda one of those "Did the chicken come first or the egg?" situations.  From the look of the wear on the crank (at the middle thrust bearing), it looks like it may not have been a 100% perfect fit, which caused uneven wear, killed the bearing, killing the oil pressure, killing other bearings.  That's the hypothesis right now; it's all going to the machine shop for professional buttstuffysis.  The cam and cam bearings all look fine; all the big wear is in the rod bearings, main bearings, and crank.

Reply #668
Hope it all goes back together smoothly. I hope mine goes well.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #669
The shop didn't align hone the block? They should have. That's usually standard procedure for a rebuild....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #670
The shop did supply the crank, so they should make good and provide another crank and bearings...

Reply #671
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;275757
The shop did supply the crank, so they should make good and provide another crank and bearings...

Agreed.  Dad has a long history with them and they've always stood behind their work so I don't forsee any problems.

As far as the aline hone, they may have done it for standard procedure; I can't remember them mentioning it though since maybe it's just assumed.

Reply #672
Dropped everything off at the machine shop today....block, pistons, crank, oil pump, oil filter, flywheel, pressure plate, etc.  He's gonna take a look and see what went wrong; his first thought is that something may have clogged an oil passage somewhere since the engine was getting very good oil pressure at first.  I already told him that I want it align honed, making sure the crank fits just right, and the WHOLE assembly (balancer, crank, flywheel, etc) get balanced.  Taking all precautions...and I thought I was buttstuff the first time around.

Reply #673
Nice nice... good thing that at least there's a history with this guy and hopefully he'll cut no corners in examining the whole thing.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #674
Hell just make it a 347 :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.