Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138489 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #630
Yes, it does it sitting still at around 4k...hence why we're gonna try the balancer next.  No, the driveshaft never really caused a vibration till at least 70...I had done pleeeenty of 0-60 runs in the car and never felt any sort of vibration.  If it's in the engine, then I give up.  It's getting ridiculous now, I just want my car back.  Thing ran all day long with the stock 155k mile HO without any of these stupid problems.  I really hope it's just the balancer.  Even if it's the input shaft on the tranny, that's not a huge problem.  But if this engine has to come apart...

Also worthy to note that I think the brand new clutch is having problems.  If I'm in, say, 4th gear and coasting, then tap the gas, the car has like a delayed response then it kinda jerks forward and goes fine.  I first started noticing it today as I was trying to get used to the feel of the new clutch and kept thinking that some of my rough shifts weren't caused by my pedal work.  This stuff is really getting on my nerves...maybe some good dyno numbers this afternoon will get my hopes up.  With the way things are going, though, I'm not holding my breath.

/negative attitude

Reply #631
Ummm.. I wouldnt recommend Dynoing it til the viberation is taken care of.....

Cars are a pain in the ass dude... look at mine, I just got done swapping in a new T5, now I gotta tear it back out and change the clutch....  I just cant be bothered right now to do it....  maybe next week.  NOT looking forward to pulling the LT's which is what I think my hold up is...

Reply #632
Quote from: kingcars;271195
  Even if it's the input shaft on the tranny, that's not a huge problem.  But if this engine has to come apart...

Also worthy to note that I think the brand new clutch is having problems.  If I'm in, say, 4th gear and coasting, then tap the gas, the car has like a delayed response then it kinda jerks forward and goes fine. 
/negative attitude

If you hold the clutch in, the input shaft isn't turning, so can't be the problem...

Unless it's slipping, a clutch is fully engaged with the pedal out, your jerking sounds like some other problem...

Reply #633
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;271216
Ummm.. I wouldnt recommend Dynoing it til the viberation is taken care of.....

Cars are a pain in the ass dude... look at mine, I just got done swapping in a new T5, now I gotta tear it back out and change the clutch....  I just cant be bothered right now to do it....  maybe next week.  NOT looking forward to pulling the LT's which is what I think my hold up is...

Yeah I was thinking that too, nows not the best time to go all out open throttle with her
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #634
I know you said the flywheel wasn't balanced with the motor, but I don't see how it could be properly balanced without the flywheel you're gonna use.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #635
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;271218
If you hold the clutch in, the input shaft isn't turning, so can't be the problem...

Im wondering if he meant "coasting" as in clutch in/in neutral....or if he meant decelerating with the clutch engaged in 4th, and off the pedal?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #636
Was wondering about the engaged/disengaged clutch as well, but took it to be engaged coasting in 4th...

Quote from: 32VFoxBird;271228
I know you said the flywheel wasn't balanced with the motor, but I don't see how it could be properly balanced without the flywheel you're gonna use.

If the crank was balanced as factory, then flywheel balance isn't necessary(still it's a good idea)... Now breezing back to the machine shop and assembly pictures, I found no mention of the replacement crank being balanced at all...

Reply #637
Have you tried just putting it in neutral and revving it? If it still vibrates I'm pretty sure that it's the engine.

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;271234

If the crank was balanced as factory, then flywheel balance isn't necessary(still it's a good idea)... Now breezing back to the machine shop and assembly pictures, I found no mention of the replacement crank being balanced at all...

I would hope they balanced the crank. I know that even though I reused the stock crank in my block the machiene shop re-balanced it before they put it back in.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #638
My crank was fully turned and balanced at the machine shop, along with the rest of the rotating assembly (pistons and such).  I would think an unbalanced crank would be obvious from the get-go....car ran for over 1000 miles before this started.  Also, we've done a few WOT runs with the car since the vibration trying to figure it out.  I'll see what they say when I get there.

As for the new issue I mentioned, I mean with everything fully engaged.  It's worst in the lower gears, but I can get it to happen in 4th and 5th without problem.  Just have it in gear, coast, then get back on the gas. I think it's the clutch slipping because that never happened before the clutch/pressure plate swap.  Brand new parts suck...gonna be even better if it's my brand new balancer causing the vibration.

Reply #639
You're no doubt correct that if there was a problem, it should have been obvious from the begnning... Maybe you'll get lucky and it will be the balancer, they can cause a nasty vibration...

Reply #640
Yeah, my gut is tellin me that it's the balancer and that we should have tried that from the beginning haha.

Anyways...just got back from the dyno.  Yeah, I know...probably not the best idea, but the car is fine.  First 2 pulls started out dreadful with 192rwhp and 199rwhp respectively (280rwtq both pulls).  I was thinkin "Oh great, I haven't gone anywhere from the stock HO!"  So we bumped the timing to 13 degrees and...wow...235rwhp then 240rwhp with 295rwtq.  Tried one more timing bump to 15 degrees and managed to squeeze 300rwtq out of it, but then she was gettin hot so we left it at that.  I'm definitely thrilled with the results; right where I wanted to be.  A couple of basic bolt ons will no doubt get even more.  So thats the story...although I do have a rocker making some noise, so I'm gonna go check out that out in a little bit.  I'll have scans of the best rwhp and rwtq runs very soon.  The torque curve is AWESOME, as you guys will see.  And the AFR was right on spec as well.

Reply #641
Congrat's on the numbers, with a good launch that will get you mid 13s fairly easily...

Reply #642
Thanks man, I'm excited...that was really the extra motivation I needed after the low I hit last night haha.  Also, I forgot to mention that the guys up there commented on my engine bay; said it was the cleanest 5.0 engine bay they've seen in a while haha.  I always love compliments like that.  Makes all the hard work worth it.  Anyways, I got the scans up:

Excuse the misspelled "Thunderbrid"  :hick:

Reply #643
Sweet!  Now you can brag that your car has 300 lb/ft of torque and have the dyno sheets to back it up.

Hopefully you get your vibration issues worked out...those can be trying to figure out sometimes.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #644
Well the vibration has been figured out.  Remember the tapping sound I mentioned just a couple posts ago?  And the "faulty" oil pressure gauge from a few posts before that?  Combine that with the vibration issue and the picture isn't pretty.  The engine is coming back out and getting torn down.  So right at a moment of triumph comes right back with complete demoralization.  It's gonna be a long journey....