Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138490 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #615
Yeah the tranny is fine; the driveshaft's rear joint is what has been an issue, but nothing major.  As for the recent issue, dad's thinkin it's the clutch or pressure plate.  Either way, the tranny and assembly is gonna have to come out.  I was planning a "surprise" trip to the track on Thursday night, but that aint happenin.  Probably would've broken there if I didn't break it yesterday anyway haha.  I was finally getting my 0-60s into the very low 6s/high 5s yesterday too :( .

Top of 2nd gear = 60mph.  Figured I'd let you all see how the driver mod project has been going.  Sorry about the music...forgot to turn it off.  Had my Aerosmith CD in.

Reply #616
Quote from: kingcars;268499
Yeah the tranny is fine; the driveshaft's rear joint is what has been an issue, but nothing major.  As for the recent issue, dad's thinkin it's the clutch or pressure plate.  Either way, the tranny and assembly is gonna have to come out.  I was planning a "surprise" trip to the track on Thursday night, but that aint happenin.  Probably would've broken there if I didn't break it yesterday anyway haha.  I was finally getting my 0-60s into the very low 6s/high 5s yesterday too :( .

Top of 2nd gear = 60mph.

ahhh dude that sucks
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #617
Tbird is going up on a lift later today to get the vibration fixed.  Gotta get it ready for dyno tune and track runs on Friday :D .  Gonna put a tank of 93 Octane in as well.

Reply #618
What's causing the vibration?Let me know.I'm looking for one.I'm thinking it's the differential on the Sport.I have a spare to install if need be.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #619
Well the speed related vibration has always been my driveshaft.  The rpm related one is new, and we think it's the clutch/pressure plate.  While we didn't see anything physically wrong with either of them when we took it apart tonight, we started the car up without them and the vibration was gone.  With that said, I have a brand new clutch and pressure plate on the way and the driveshaft is going to a shop tomorrow to be balanced and fixed.  So on Wednesday, I hope to have a Tbird sans abnormal vibration.

Reply #620
Yeah nothing better than having just....a Tbird, without extra stuff you dont need. :)
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #621
Quote from: kingcars;270540
Well the speed related vibration has always been my driveshaft.  The rpm related one is new, and we think it's the clutch/pressure plate.  While we didn't see anything physically wrong with either of them when we took it apart tonight, we started the car up without them and the vibration was gone.  With that said, I have a brand new clutch and pressure plate on the way and the driveshaft is going to a shop tomorrow to be balanced and fixed.  So on Wednesday, I hope to have a Tbird sans abnormal vibration.

I hope it fixes it for you man...  Viberations are irritating...
I gotta pull my tranny again to and change the clutch
Not looking forward to it but I gotta do it.  Killed mine at the track LOL

Reply #622
Do you have an aluminum one? If not you can make them up on the cheap and they are worth it.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #623
No aluminum driveshaft yet, just got my current one fixed.  About to go pick it up from the shop now :) .  It was funny; dad said the moment he brought the driveshaft in, the guy was like "Let me guess... 5.0 Mustang with a high speed vibration."  Guess it's a pretty common problem :hick:

Reply #624
Well I got some good news and some bad news.  The good news is that the driveshaft work I had done really smoothed out the car at 70+ mph.  Much better now.  The bad news is that the rpm vibration is still lingering; there are only really 2 main suspects left though:  input shaft bearing or balancer.  However, the new clutch is a good bit softer so it's nicer to drive around.  But at least for now the car is much more drivable...if we can ever figure out this stinkin rpm vibration, she'll be runnin smoooooth.

I do have a question though...when we put the engine together, we got a brand new oil pressure sending unit.  The first few times I drove it after the engine swap, the pressure guage always read really high.  Then after a few drives, it started reading about dead in the middle.  Then a few weeks later, it read low.  Now it just plummets to the bottom and tells me I have no oil pressure...if that were true, the car woulda blown up a long time ago so I know its a lying POS just like it was with the old engine (always used to read low).  Anybody else have faulty oil pressure guages?

Reply #625
Put a gauge where the the sender is to really read what you have.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #626
I wonder if that is where some of my vibration comes from.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #627
You tried indexing your driveshaft already I guess.. is the vibration rpm or speed related? You say 70+ mph but than say rpm. If its rpm I would think its coming from the engine and speed would be the rest of the drivetrain. If you buy a new balancer do yourself a favor and don't buy a py stock replacement. I bought a cheap autozone balancer once and it broke in half and caused my crank to snap(this thread )

You can get a decent balancer for under $200 so its worth the money to use good parts.

Also did you have the flywheel balanced with the rest of the motor? I gave my machinist the balancer and flywheel and he balanced everything

good luck let us know how you make out
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #628
Quote from: Bob;271043
You tried indexing your driveshaft already I guess.. is the vibration rpm or speed related? You say 70+ mph but than say rpm. If its rpm I would think its coming from the engine and speed would be the rest of the drivetrain. If you buy a new balancer do yourself a favor and don't buy a py stock replacement. I bought a cheap autozone balancer once and it broke in half and caused my crank to snap(this thread )

You can get a decent balancer for under $200 so its worth the money to use good parts.

Also did you have the flywheel balanced with the rest of the motor? I gave my machinist the balancer and flywheel and he balanced everything

good luck let us know how you make out

I had 2 different vibrations...one vibration was speed-related, which the car has had for a long time.  That was the driveshaft, and has now been fixed.  There is now an RPM related vibration that just started a couple of weeks ago.

The flywheel wasn't balanced with the engine, but it only has a few thousand miles on it and I do not have any shifting issues, so it's highly unlikely that the flywheel is the problem.  Also remember that the input shaft spins at rpm; that's the main candidate right now since we've checked the balancer and it doesnt seem to have moved at all.  We may try to stick on my old balancer just for kicks since we know it wasn't causing a vibration on the old engine.

Reply #629
Does it vibrate at RPMs with the clutch depressed(car setting still)??? If so, it's in the engine, or flywheel/clutch assly...

Flywheel vibrations aren't likely going to cause a clutch engagement problem... Still developing a vibration isn't usually flywheel related, maybe was there all along and wasn't noticed due to the drive shaft???