Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138486 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #600
Quote from: 86XR7project;266092
Canada is KPH and they didn't have the py 85Mph ruling like we did back then.

thats right, ours go up to 120MPH....:D:evilgrin:

Reply #601
Nice!  I like the blue painted plate too.  Oh and....I neeeeeed a 140 speedo :D .

Reply #602
Thanks, it actually is a chameleon paint that goes from red-> purple-> blue, depending on the angle you are at...

Reply #603
Set my Tbird up for a date with the dyno:  May 8th, 3PM EST.  Stay tuned :) .

Reply #604
We're having another dyno day here in a month or so.I've got to get the Sport tuned and clean for that day.Maybe a new clutch as well.Good luck with yours,I hope you see the numbers you want.How much do you think the engine is putting out at the wheels now?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #605
Quote from: kingcars;266698
Set my Tbird up for a date with the dyno:  May 8th, 3PM EST.  Stay tuned :) .

have someone video tape it....  I watch mine over and over.  that was the first time my cougar had ever reved to the limiter...  scared me since I JUST converted to the HO topend, with an Ecam.  I was affraid she was gonna let go. LOL:rollin:

Reply #606
Yeah def. make a video of your dyno run. That should be pretty cool.

Reply #607
Quote from: vinnietbird;266708
How much do you think the engine is putting out at the wheels now?

250 is the goal, and is right around what others with the same combo are getting.  Video footage is mandatory :) .

Reply #608
Took the Tbird to its first car show of the season...got quite a few compliments on it, had a few ask me stuff about it also.  Turned out to be really fun.  Grabbed a couple of mediocre pics while I was there:

A pic that a friend took as I was leaving:

Also been working on that pesky driver mod...vid(s) may be coming soon

Reply #609
Nice !! I hope to attend a few local shows and get-togethers this year.I still have a lot to do before that can happen,though.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #610
Looking good man.  Those wheels were a nice choice with your white paint.  Now I'm ready for some more vids.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #611
Ha well, after my 0-80 vid I realized how rusty I was at the 5 speed...have done LOTS of practicing since then; think I've got my shifts faster than they ever were before.  According to an unorthodox/possibly inaccurately timed 0-60 run last night, I may have knocked it down into the low 6s and MAYBE high 5s if I'm lucky.  Need to get it on video so I can know for sure...but it definitely aint as awfully slow as the last video.

Reply #612
Ugh, got some bad news...on the way home tonight, i noticed a weird feeling in the car.  The clutch pedal throw was sometimes not smooth (I can feel very slight "notchy-ness" in it) like normal and now she vibrates at mid/high rpm (regardless of throttle input or speed).  I think the flywheel and/or clutch are out of balance or something....*sigh* :( .  Gonna look into it more tomorrow and see what dad thinks.  I do know one thing - this driveshaft is getting the boot immediately; I'm tired of it.

Reply #613
Quote from: kingcars;268386
Ugh, got some bad news...on the way home tonight, i noticed a weird feeling in the car.  The clutch pedal throw was sometimes not smooth (I can feel very slight "notchy-ness" in it) like normal and now she vibrates at mid/high rpm (regardless of throttle input or speed).  I think the flywheel and/or clutch are out of balance or something....*sigh* :( .  Gonna look into it more tomorrow and see what dad thinks.  I do know one thing - this driveshaft is getting the boot immediately; I'm tired of it.

Well at least it didnt break on you, whatever is causing it. Is there any noise to it? Hopefully its simple and cheap like the cable, which is not allowing the clutch to engage properly (I have no idea if that is even possible, just random thoughts), but it could be anything. What driveshaft is in it? I would say find an aluminum one from an Aerostar with WELDED ends and get it cut to length.

I really like what you have done. Nothing crazy with the build, all tasteful, and very well planned. Inspiring to me to say the least. Most was done on a budget with I can respect.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #614
Check your U joints first King....

Mine viberates like a B***H now, but that is becasue of a blown tird gear and the rest are getting ready to go... thankfully the tranny is being swapped this weekend for a freshly rebuilt one, with 0 miles on it.  cant wait to actually have a smoothshifting tranny and third gear. LOL