Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138485 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #570
Whoopsie! Missed 3rd huh? Car sounds great!

Reply #571
dude, you need my bracket...  that way you get a good view like in my videos.

and Seek, I agree with you.  anyone that has swapped in the HO should definatly swap the fuel pump at the same time, or soon after.

Reply #572
I ran my HO with the stock fuel pump for 2 years...even ran that pretty impressive 14.6 with it.  Though I have a feeling it's not gonna fully handle my 306 for too long.  Oh well, my new Walbro pump will take care of that!

Reply #573
You really don't need a lift for the fuel pump. Doing the fuel pump on ramps in the driveway isn't hard, use a jumper to pump the fuel tank dry with the old pump and than its just 2 strap bolts and the little bolt on the filler.

Looking good my only complaint is to Stop babying that shifter and throw that bitch in gear its not going to break ;) Your 1-2 should be fast and going up to 3rd should just be straight up, don't try and guide it let the shifter find the gear for you thats why they are made to center over third gear, and 3-4 should be very quick you just pulling it straight back...

I expect to see better shifts next video keep practicing ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #574
I backed onto the ramps,used my two ton floor jack with a piece of plywood on it to balance the tank,and dropped the tank just enough to get to the pump.About a 20 minute process.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #575
Quote from: Bob;265707
You really don't need a lift for the fuel pump. Doing the fuel pump on ramps in the driveway isn't hard, use a jumper to pump the fuel tank dry with the old pump and than its just 2 strap bolts and the little bolt on the filler.

Looking good my only complaint is to Stop babying that shifter and throw that bitch in gear its not going to break ;) Your 1-2 should be fast and going up to 3rd should just be straight up, don't try and guide it let the shifter find the gear for you thats why they are made to center over third gear, and 3-4 should be very quick you just pulling it straight back...

WERD! you'll be lucky to get better than a 14.6 with that shifting.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #576
I haven't driven the car in 2 months, gimme a break!  :hick:

The point of the videos weren't to show how fast I could shift...I surely didn't shift as fast as I can.  Maybe I'll whip one up tomorrow and it'll still probably suck.  It's not a spongy stock clutch either...it's pretty stiff.  I do need to get used to lettin her rev up to a little over 5k...I'm too used to getting away with short shifting the stock HO; I could get away with it since the meat of the power band was lower.  With the 306, she loooooves 3000-5500ish.

Reply #577
Quote from: kingcars;265760
I haven't driven the car in 2 months, gimme a break!  :hick:

The point of the videos weren't to show how fast I could shift...I surely didn't shift as fast as I can.  Maybe I'll whip one up tomorrow and it'll still probably suck.  It's not a spongy stock clutch either...it's pretty stiff.  I do need to get used to lettin her rev up to a little over 5k...I'm too used to getting away with short shifting the stock HO; I could get away with it since the meat of the power band was lower.  With the 306, she loooooves 3000-5500ish.

LOL, just messing around with you. My old 306 came alive at 3500 too, really cool feeling when you hit that power band. So now that your all done whats next after the fuel pump?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #578
Unfortunately his shifting ability runs in the family, he gets it from his uncle... 2 click Rick. LOL

In all honesty, I have gotten on the car more then he has. This is his first engine build, he has spent a lot of money and he is a very responsible young man.

See, if Dad breaks it, Dad pays. If he breaks it, Dad still pays!!! LOL

As far as the lift, that is more for me then him!!! LOL

I'm getting too old for this laying on the ground stuff, after 30+ yrs it gets old!!!

Mr. Bill

Reply #579
Quote from: Bob;265767
So now that your all done whats next after the fuel pump?

Driveshaft (aluminum maybe?), then gonna work on paint/body, suspension, and brakes over the next year or two.  Well, after we tweak and tune the 306 and put it through its paces at the track and dyno :D .

Reply #580
Quote from: MrBill88Tbird;265783

I'm getting too old for this laying on the ground stuff, after 30+ yrs it gets old!!!

Ain't that bad if you let the pump suck the tank dry first, only weighs maybe 15lbs empty... I haven't done one in a while but I do get senior citizens discounts...

Reply #581
looks/sounds very good man.  Keep the vids coming.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #582
Quote from: Bob;265707

Actually I was impressed by his shifting. All too often I see some young punk (one of my sons to point the finger) jump into a new rig and start slamming on it like they knew everything and the car was unbreakable. Just to have it end up sitting in the driveway for the next month waiting for a new clutch, or driveline, or U-joint, or wrapped around a tree or another car.
  To see him taking it easy on it, learning it, getting the feel for the new power.. I’m impressed.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #583
GITcho fuel pump in there noooob!!!!!  :D:P
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #584
Quote from: Jim_Miller;265943
Actually I was impressed by his shifting. All too often I see some young punk (one of my sons to point the finger) jump into a new rig and start slamming on it like they knew everything and the car was unbreakable. Just to have it end up sitting in the driveway for the next month waiting for a new clutch, or driveline, or U-joint, or wrapped around a tree or another car.
  To see him taking it easy on it, learning it, getting the feel for the new power.. I’m impressed.

Well it's nice to see someone appreciating my approach to the responsibility of driving a quick car.  Lots of people just want to jump straight from a 17 sec honda to a 12 second Mustang and go romping all over the place; I just don't think it works [well] like that.