Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138475 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #450
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;261392
he's not using stud mount rockers

I could not tell in the pic, so I was wondering also about the shims.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #451
They're pedestal mount rockers.  I don't think my valve train is nearly extreme enough to require hardened pushrods (still gonna run a stock HO cam and lifters).  I got the shims because the heads have been cut, so the pushrods will be just a HAIR too long.  That's where the shims come in.

Reply #452
Ok ,that's the way to do it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #453
Got an update for ya comin right now

Looking  good!  You should be up and running in no time now.  It should be a good runner with those 3.27's and 5spd, not to mention fun!!  Now get it in there and post up some vids! :)
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #454
Wow, whatta long day it's been.  Started off with me doing some final cleaning on the timing chain cover only to realize that it had a hole in it (how did I not realize that a LONG time ago?).  We decided to go ahead and try to make some progress...got the oil pump/pickup installed and got ready to prime the engine.  Dad hooked up an oil pressure gauge, we got a drill, put about 3 quarts of oil in, and starting priming.  Oil pressure went right up to 60 and oil quickly pumped up the lifters and filling the rockers.  So far so good; she definitely doesnt have oiling problems.

We stopped priming once all the lifters were good to go, and then focused on adjusting the rockers.  Fortunately, none of them needed adjustment so we started turning the engine over to make sure everything was working properly.  That's when we noticed a rocker get really loose due to an intake valve that was stuck open.  Wonderful.

Dad got a flashlight and we looked in at the intake valve.  It was caked in hardened carbon deposits.  Decided to look at all the others, and they were the same.  Wow.  So we took off both heads and cleaned every intake valve.  Luckily, the one that got stuck wasn't damaged.  We did check the exhaust valves for good measure, but they were all ok.

Headed up to the auto parts store, and luckily they had the same exact head gaskets in stock (just to be safe).  That's when we really started cracking down and gettin stuff done.  I installed the first head that was ready to go, torqued it down, and torqued the rockers as dad cleaned/prepped the other head.  We got all of that done, turned the engine over several times and it was working perfectly, so then we buttoned it up.  Turned out to be an 8 hour day (3 of which were spent re-prepping the heads).  Here's how the engine sits now:

Just gotta order a timing chain cover and get the engine painted.  Then it's time to get the swap started!

So take some advice from my dad and I:  WHENEVER buying used heads, check your stinkin valves!

Reply #455
a bit of good advice i can give you....

throw that cork oilpan gasket in the trash, and get a rubber one with steel structure. i lost a motor due to a cork gasket coming apart, and clogging the pickup screen.

2nd, i thought you had the heads gone through by a machine shop?

3rd, where was the hole in the timing cover, and could it have been epoxied instead of replacing it?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #456
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;261675
a bit of good advice i can give you....

throw that cork oilpan gasket in the trash, and get a rubber one with steel structure. i lost a motor due to a cork gasket coming apart, and clogging the pickup screen.

Thanks, I'll grab one when I'm at the auto parts store tomorrow.

2nd, i thought you had the heads gone through by a machine shop?

Me too...he had them cleaned and cut.  Guess he didn't check the valves, idk.

3rd, where was the hole in the timing cover, and could it have been epoxied instead of replacing it?

I thought about just using it...the hole isn't in a critical spot (the gasket would seal all around it).  But it's a pretty py cover overall and I just can't justify putting all the money I have into the engine, then using that cover with a hole in it.

Reply #457
I would have epoxied and just painted the cover too :) That sucks about the heads. My guy before I told him anything wanted to disassemble, clean, and mag the heads before he did any work. If your valves looked untouched I would think they just got resurfaced and thats it. I think I would have sent them to the machine shop and had them redone at this point and had the springs checked. Next time you need to buy valve cover gaskets get the rubber/steal ones from felpro they last forever and you can reuse them over and over.

Are you dropping the motor and tranny into the car the same time? If you are I highly recommend the summit engine lifting plate for $50. It saved me so much time and went in less than 20 min
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #458
Everything else on the heads are in tip-top shape, so no probs there.  We've thought about getting that engine plate...probably will grab one.

As for the VC gaskets...the VCs are just hand tight on there (gonna take them off when we drop the engine in) so they're not dead set on there.  Thanks for the heads up.

Reply #459
We didnt get to take the engine out Saturday so we just did some final prep on the 306:

However, we got the green light to use a friend's shop that has a lift.  Unfortunately, I had work today so dad had the shop to himself (and is now forever spoiled by using said lift).  The engine removal went smoothly, towed the Tbird back home in an enclosed trailer, and now she's home safely.  Lots of cleaning and scrubbing will be done over the next 5+ days.  I would love to have it ready for transplant this coming weekend, but we'll see what happens.  Got a lot of work ahead of me still.  But the motivation and anxiousness is taking over.  I did grab a couple of quick pics, more to come during the week:

That's how the front should look when I launch off the line :cool:

:shakehead  Aint stayin this way for much longer!

Reply #460
sweet.!!!!!!!!!  youtube would be cool.... id watch it ...obviously...
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #461
looking good man!  I worked on starting to pull the heads, cam, etc. off my 5.0 HO donor motor and ran into quite a few snags (like broken bolts) so its good to see someone else making good progress.  Can't wait to see that motor sitting down in your car!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #462
Sweet
Hey, Get yourself some Dupont Prep Sol and some decent shop rags. It will make cleaning that engine bay wicked easy.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #463
Quote from: massCougarxr7;263318
sweet.!!!!!!!!!  youtube would be cool.... id watch it ...obviously...

Thanks!  Already got a couple of vids on youtube...got a link to the first one in my sig.  You can find the other one from there.  :)

Quote from: 50tbrd88;263321
looking good man!  I worked on pulling starting to pull the heads, cam, etc. off my 5.0 HO donor motor and ran into quite a few snags (like broken bolts) so its good to see someone else making good progress.  Can't wait to see that motor sitting down in your car!

Ugh yeah...that always sucks.  The nice thing is that we had been through the top end of the engine already, so things were pretty easy and most of my accessories are still nice and clean.  Should be lookin awesome by the time we're ready to put the 306 in.

Quote from: shame302;263324
Sweet
Hey, Get yourself some Dupont Prep Sol and some decent shop rags. It will make cleaning that engine bay wicked easy.

Yeah, we got plenty of shop towels to use.  I had used some Wesleys Bleche White on the engine bay a while back (look at the top of the firewall and you can see where I used it) so I plan to start with that...should work well for me.  Then Tuesday I hope to spray it down with a new coat of gloss white paint...should be a bit easier to wipe down and keep clean.

Reply #464
The wesleys bleach white works good too. Im just not sure how appropriate it is for paint prep. A buddy of mine used to use it on his truck once a year to clean it. I had great results cleaning with the prep sol followed by scuffing everything with scotch bright and hosing it off with the air and then a quick wipe down with the prep sol again.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~