Skip to main content
Topic: winter resurrection progression (Read 13006 times) previous topic - next topic

winter resurrection progression

i picked up a couple new gauges to finish off my panel, and im feelin somewhat motivated once again to work on my car.

i havent turned a wrench on this pile since probly september....its so close to runnin again its ridiculous that i havent finished it up, but life happens. here i sit winter time again; almost 2008. time to make resolutions, right?
i resolve to get this car on the road again over this winter so i can drive it in the spring, and i will  drive it to CJ08! :burnout:

to make this a true progress thread, here are some of the highlights(1.5yrs worth :hick: ) of my project so far:
IRS
Kmember
Kmember plus
front suspension
more IRS
SFCs
roll bar
brakes

this is how she looks right now
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #1
Good work, nice to see progress.  I'd like to put yours next to mine sometime and compare up close.

Does the car need an alignment, looks like the rears are cambered in a little too much?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
its not drivable, so no it hasnt been aligned just yet.

Reply #3
What's the weight difference between the new and old K-members?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
i didnt weigh them myself, so i dont really know. sorry.

when was your cardomain last updated?

Reply #5
That K-member is sweet.  Is it a one-off or production?  If only someone would make a strong, light K for the 83-86s.

My cardomain?  Not for a while.  I'm about ready to add some more as I'm getting close on the motor, and I've got new wheels coming, maybe won't need to mod the fenders.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
it was a production piece at one time. they are no longer produced to the best of my knowledge. its a mustang part, doesnt take much to make em fit a tbird.

Reply #7
I like the gauge setup. Are you going to brush the (aluminum, I'm guessing) to match the dash?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
thanks, yeah its .050" aluminum.
it probly wont match exactly, but yeah im thinkin about brushin it up with a scotchbrite wheel.

Reply #9
that will look cool.
If you can bevel the edge and paint it charcoal. It'll look real close.
don't forget to clear coat it  so it doesn't dull
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
Hurry up.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Reply #11
I've seen this car in person.  I've sat in this car.  I sat in it and made vroom vroom noises while shifting gears and gripping the steering wheel.  Its so cool.!  Keep up the good work Gumby!
One 88

Reply #12
got some work done on the gauges this afternoon

before:

makin room for gauges:

one advantage of not runnin a radio in the car is that i can wire all my gauges up to a spare plug from some old stereo install and plug the new gauge harness into the factory radio harness.

i removed a couple extra wires from the OEM radio harness, and added a ground to the plug. there are three wires in it now, 12V switched, illumination, and chassis ground. when i need to work in the dash later, i dont need to worry about all the wires on the gauges, jus one plug

im hopin to get back out tonight to get everything plumbed at least thru the firewall so i can close up the dash.

Reply #13
dash and underhood portions of the gauges are done! gotta drop the diff, install the temp sender, and string one more wire, then all the gauges will be complete.

from my seat:

from the backseat:

:birdsmily:

Reply #14
Good work.  I'm encouraged by what you're doing, I'm moving in the same direction.  I can't wait to show how my dash is going to look, very similar to yours but a little different.

Nice call on the wiring.  Adding all those gauges can be a real wiring nightmare.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]