Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 81142 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #465
I don't put a ton of miles on the car, but I also have 3 other cars that can drive on any given day. Still, with the car choices and riding my bike to work 1-2 days a week, none of my cars get a bunch of miles put on them.
With the interior built back out, and the car is now usable to haul kiddos around, it'll be driven more.

Right now, I'm not inclined to pay a bunch of money on tires, so I'm probably going to use a set of the Falken Ziex 950's on it. I've used them on several vehicles. While I have no plans for snow/rain driving in this thing, it'll get driven in the cold if things are dry, and I have no need for another "summer" tire. 
Aside from the truck and her old Beetle, everything we drive gets performance all-seasons (V+ speed rating), as I hate squirmy tires.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #466
Got the new tires in the other day and was able to get them swapped out today. Went with the Falkens I mentioned above, in a 245/45.

A couple of pics of the rear suspension, as the lighting is better, not being in the garage.

Ope.
Old tires are old.

Wheels cleaned up and ready to reinstall when I get another free moment this week.

Reply #467
Looks like this thing needs tie rods too.

I was sticking a couple of the wheels back on and noticed that both inner tie rods had some play.

Ugh.

Reply #468
Got the tire rods installed over the weekend and finally got the wheels/tires reinstalled.

One small issue with the tire install. I thought I had pulled off all of the old weights before taking them to be done, but I hadn't. The guy doing the work also missed the extra weights and balanced the set-up with them installed.
I found the mess up when I got home and noticed the excessive amount of new weights. Then I noticed the 8  1/4oz weights on the opposite side. Ope.

Took that one back to have it redone.

Checked the alignment and we should be good to go.

Of course, as if on queue, the starter is beginning to act up. It'll sometimes not engage when the key is turned. Need to verify whether it's the starter or the solenoid,

Reply #469
Well, the starter performed its final act of defiance this morning and gave up completely.

One more thing to fix. :beatyoass:

Reply #470
Cascading issues...gotta love it. That's in the Fox DNA! Sorry to hear but that's fairly straightforward to fix. Love seeing progress with this car, it's so well done in every aspect.

Reply #471
RockAuto to the rescue.

New starter installed today. Just in time for it to rain for a couple of days.

Reply #472
Well, today was not the day for the TBird.

This morning I was supposed to have the wrap installed on the roof of the car, to hide the paint mess. but my buddy had a material malfunction and we're going to have to reschedule.

On the way home, about 4 blocks from the house, the car died. Looks to be a dead fuel pump. All the relays click and the pump doesn't run when powered directly. So now I have that to mess with.  :nonchalance:

Reply #473
Had a short bit before dinner to drop the tank and pull the pump.

So, out of the tank it *works* when I apply power to it---some of the time. None of the internal tank wiring seems loose.

I have a new one on the way, as I have no idea when I installed this one. It's gotta be 20+ years ago. Not that it's seen a whole lot of mileage in that time, though.  :dunno:

Reply #475
Yeah. a 255HP.

Messed with it more. Seeing as the pump would run sometimes with direct power I tested it back in the harness on the car and no joy. Digging deeper, I found out that the power feed through the FP relay wasn't getting power.

That involved tracing the wiring and trying to remember what changes I made when I did the MS install all those years ago.

IN the end I found and remembered the power feed to the FP and that it had been incorporated into my aux fuse box back when I did the lighting, etc.
The clear blue 15A relay is the replacement for the one that was blown, which is the FP power (the other 15A is for the stereo AMP power).

Got things back together and with the new fuse in place, the FP powers up some of the time.

Going back to testing it on the bench. There are times it would spark more when power was applied, kind of hinting at a larger start draw, pointing to a failing pump. (Other times it wouldn't spark, and start cleanly).

My guess is the pump was drawing more power and when it went, I was on a slight "pull". It bogged as the pressure dropped and then it recovered and kind of idled on for another 1/4 mile or so as the last of the pressure in the line went away and the car completely died. The fuse blew on the pull.

Had I remembered the fuse, I might've been able to get it started and drive it home, instead of pushing it the 4 blocks. :p

Now just waiting on the new pump.
Glad I got the source of the issue located, but I wasted time that I was wanting to work on the wagon project. :dunno:

Reply #477
At least you figured out the issue(s)! Great job diagnosing and troubleshooting.

It would've been better if I had decent dospoogeentation (and memory) !  :rollin:

The hazards of building and rebuilding a car over almost 30 years.,

Reply #478
Glad you found the culprit. 

Everytime I drop the tank, I keep thinking to myself a little hinged door in the trunk wouldn't be so bad.....
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #479
Glad you found the culprit. 

Everytime I drop the tank, I keep thinking to myself a little hinged door in the trunk wouldn't be so bad.....

Yeah, it's crossed my mind. Busy with other projects to just do it right now.

I do plan on doing that on the wagon, though.