Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 81658 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #480
New pump is installed, but the car runs like doodoo. :nonchalance:

It appears to be super rich.  When I pulled the fuel pressure regulator reference hose off of the intake, the idle smoothed out a bit.

I didn't get a chance to check the fuel pressure yet, but should be able to tomorrow. Hoping that I didn't somehow pinch the return line between the tank and the body (would be hard to collapse it though.)

I'll need to toss the laptop on it, to see what the WBO2 is showing.

It's possible that if the fuel pressure is correct. the car was tuned under a weak fuel supply and now that it's getting a healthy dose, the tune is off. This thing doesn't "learn" like the stock EEC4 stuff.

We'll see I guess. I don't think anything else broke/failed when the pump went.

Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Re: Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #481
OK. Got it sorted out.

Tested the fuel pressure and it was good. No need to drop the tank to find a pinched return.

I hooked up the laptop and started to look at things. Almost immediately I saw the MAP gauge stuck at "100 KPa" or ambient. It wasn't reacting at all. SO I grabbed a length of vacuum tube and bypassed the in-situ feed to the ECU and sure enough it was reading properly.
The MAP signal hose to the ECU had gotten pinched when I reinstalled the seat after chasing the power issue.

Found the problem and put it all back together and the car is much happier.  :toothless:

Now, back to my other project and hopefully I can get the roof wrap sorted out soon.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon