Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 76008 times) previous topic - next topic

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #105
Quote from: gumby;337078
pics of the broken boss? is it sumthin i could weld back together for ya?

It's the front boss on the inline intake.  My new welder has a mini-spool gun, so I could weld it up myself I'm sure.  Just need to pull things apart to do it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #106
Well, the weather still hasn't decided to behave long enough here, but a couple things have been getting done on the car.

First, I fixed the aforementioned broken fuel rail boss on the intake.  Hooked up the mini-spool to my new welder and built things up, and drilled and tapped a new hole.  That problem solved.

Now yesterday, I was feeling froggy and decided to do this to the car...

Because I was finally getting around to doing this...

You really can't see the bottom of it, because it's obscured by the bumper and oil cooler, but the inlet/outlet are bottom-mounted.

This pic shows how close it is to fitting between the headlight buckets in the header panel.  Somehow I eyeballed the centering placement on it, and there is basically a paper's thickness of room between the IC and the header panel.  I'll probably knock the header panel down a touch when I get ready to remount it again.

Now it's a matter of plumbing things.  I need a bunch of 2-1/2" tubing, and perhaps a couple more couplers.  I have a bunch silicone couplers, 45's and 90's I got cheap a while back, and now will put them to good use.

Being the contrary S.O.B. that I am, I'm not running a rotated intake, so there may be a long run of IC tubing, but it really won't matter when it's all said and done.

Anyway, racing the rain and  weather around here this weekend, so the new mounting brackets are all I got done, but now it means I actually need to finish things so I can drive the car again. :hick:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #107
Nice work. Any progress is still progress. As you know, you have to take where you can get it. The weather sucks here, and when it was decent, I had so much other  to do the Sport was left alone. Not cool.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #108
Well well, its about  time!
Dodging the rain was quite a task this weekend for sure. Good to see some work on the 83 again.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #109
Well, I have a pile of 2-1/2" bends and tubing on the way, so after I fix the g/f's Lancer, I'll be making IC tubing.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #110
Well, I finally had some spare time to work on this.  Got the whole concept scoped out, and just need a couple more bits to be able to do all the finish cuts, etc.

I'll get more pics when I get back to messing with it.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #111
You gonna run the compressor outlet over the v/c, or clock the housing and run the pipe low?

Your air filter location ROCKS! same as mine :bowdown:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #112
Actually the best way it looks to me is to run a silicone "U" off the turbo as it sits.  I looked at clocking it, but it didn't make me happy.

On the driver side, there is a "U" bend that comes out of the intercooler and wraps around the core support, and runs right on top of the lower rad hose brace. It will run low behind the rad, and then shoot up to meet that silicone "U".

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #114
Quote from: Trinom;359786
Didn't you think about water - air IC? I think it's better for our cars, because you don't have to cut any hole for pipes. There are only relatively thin hoses.

Nope, I didn't have to cut any holes for this.  The addition of a pump, a water tank, etc outweigh any "advantages" over an air-to-air IC for a street car.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #115
Looks cool.

Any idea how much power it will add?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #116
Don't really know, and not too concerned.  I'll finally be able to work on nailing down my tune better, though.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #117
Ok, got the final mock-up of the IC tubing done this past weekend.  Had to wait for a couple pieces to show up (they sent me some wrong stuff).

The parts are now off at the powdercoater (for silver) and when I get them back, I'll be able to button this all back up and get the car on the road again.

Other thoughts I was thinking...

I was contemplating removing the existing under-the-floor SFCs I have on the car (from back in '97-98), and using that material I had for the '80 XR-7 to do through-the-floor SFC's.  With the cage and the SFC's and other reinforcements, the car is very stiff as it is.  This would clean things up a bit though, and make things look better overall...as well as make it even more rigid. :hick:

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #118
I added the BOV mount after I mocked things up (and after I took pics).

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #119
Looks great Chuck. Are you planning on going racing? I'm sure it handles the curves well.