Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 75274 times) previous topic - next topic

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #135
Quote from: daminc;363067
chuck, how do you keep the front wheels from rubbing when you turn  the wheel all the way?

I don't. :hick: 

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had it at full lock one way or the other.  There are no limiters on it, and it may rub a bit, but it's such a rare occasion, that I'm not really concerned.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #136
Quote from: Chuck W;363083
I don't. :hick: 

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I had it at full lock one way or the other.  There are no limiters on it, and it may rub a bit, but it's such a rare occasion, that I'm not really concerned.

LOL....Ok, It only happens to me when I forget about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #137
Awesome. All good news. I don't really like the mystery springs I have on there now. Need to see if I can find a pair. Good to know I can run a taller tire on the front.

Quote from: Chuck W;363066
245/45 front, 255/45 rear.  Still C Kits in the front.  Haven't gotten around to doing the whole coil-over thing yet.

As far as stance goes, it was the same when the car was a 302/AOD, and the two other's I've lowered this way have been the same.  You might need a 1/8"-1/4"  of spacer on the front springs with the heavier combo, but you can never really tell until it's all on the ground.  I might have some old ride height measurements in one of the log books, but we're talking about 15 years worth of notes.
1986 Cougar LS

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #138
OK, well the webhost is sorted and I'm working on getting pics uploaded again and links fixed.  Organizing things better this time so I don't have the same issues again.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #139
Quote from: glocklimited9;361941
ive seen this car for years, always been one of my favorite

+1  :)
tbirdregistry.com

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #140
Looking good, Chuck.  How's she running?

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #141
Quote from: flylear45;365169
Looking good, Chuck.  How's she running?

Not too bad.  Been driving it once a week or so, depending on the weather.  I still have yet to get the time to take it out for some revised tuning after the injector and IC install.  It grunts down low (boost starts to come on at about 1800rpm), but it runs out of steam up top.  I've got a new laptop, and once I get a new USB-serial cable, I'm going to let the Tunerstudio auto tune have at it a bit.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #142
Quote from: Chuck W;365174
Not too bad.  Been driving it once a week or so, depending on the weather.  I still have yet to get the time to take it out for some revised tuning after the injector and IC install.  It grunts down low (boost starts to come on at about 1800rpm), but it runs out of steam up top.  I've got a new laptop, and once I get a new USB-serial cable, I'm going to let the Tunerstudio auto tune have at it a bit.

I have been over riding TS autotune under 1300 and in boost. It's paranoid I know, but I think I do a better job in those areas of the curve.

IMHO,  I think anything over (richer than)  12.5 -1 under boost is gonna fall on it's face at higher R's.  Just sayin'. That's the way my TR7 acts. I was too rich at first and was killing the acceleration. A dyno session got me revving the way I should.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #143
Yeah, I'm thinking it's a bit rich. Not too rich to blow nasty smoke, but rich enough to kill the power.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #144
really love the look of this, gives me a few ideas for mine.

I was really surprised to see you were considering an I6 conversion originally! :P
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #145
Quote from: EFFalcon;370291

I was really surprised to see you were considering an I6 conversion originally! :P

The stuff for that conversion is still in the garage, as is another option.  :p

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #146
Dragging this thing out of the past. Loooong time since last posting here. Not even sure where the time goes.

I've been a bad owner, and other than a few drives last season, this old beast hasn't seen much of my attention as of late. Time for that to change!

There are a couple projects that I just haven't addressed, either due to not enough time, not enough money, or just not enough motivation. More of the later, really.

Short list of smaller projects include:

- Rear suspension upgrades, including panhard bar and revised 4-link set-up.
- 8.8 rear with 3.55's
- Coil-overs on the front and perhaps (well, most likely) some different strut mounts.

I've had this old Steeda 5-link stuff for ages.  Time to get it modded/beefed and in place. I've never been happy with the 3.73's I installed in the 7.5, and they've seen better days anyway. I've been wanting to do coil-overs up front for a while now. My Koni's aren't "ideal", but I'm also not planning on going bonkers on spring rates. The strut mounts I made over 15 years ago are probably well past their prime. They were cheap to build, and served their purpose, but they won't work for what I want to do.

The big project is an engine swap. The 2.3T is fine, but it's starting to lose it's appeal to me. Mainly because I've had several cars with them.

I have 2 choices in my garage, and I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to go.

A. SHO V6
B. 200 ci US I6 block with Aussie XF AL EFI head.

Both have the appeal of being "relatively" different, and both would have some sort of turbo attached to them in the end. Option A has the appeal of just being plain shagy. Opening the hood and being able to showcase one of the best-looking engines (IMO) would be sweet. The downside is some serious work is needed to get it into the car. Option B is still unique, and would be cool in its own right. More work needed on the engine itself, mating the head to the block, but it would require very little work to get it into the car.

Seeing as Option A would require more downtime of the car, just to get things together, Option B is slowly winning out. The SHO motor is going to need serious oil pan and K-member work. Even a tubular K-member is probably not going to help things just slide right in. Again, not a huge deal, but means the car is down for a LONG time, while I work out fitment. The option here would be to find a front clip off of a TBird/Cougar and put it on a rolling frame and do mock-ups in the garage. Still kind of tedious.

Anyway, going to get the car situated and get to messing with the rear susp stuff and try and hunt down a 3.55 8.8. That is stuff that's going to be done, regardless of what engine winds up in the bay.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #147
When you get the Steeda 5-link installed I would love to see some pics.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #148
While the SHO V6 is cool that turbo I6 sounds like it would be cool. A turbo Aussie I6 can make some wicked power.

Why are you considering going from 3.73s to 3.55s? I would think the difference wouldn't be that great between the two.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #149
Well, it wouldn't be a "full" Aussie I6 (Getting a Barra 4.0 turbo would be hot, though). Still looking into the sum of parts needed to mate the head and block together and make it turbo-ready.

The 3.55's are primarily to stretch the legs a bit. I've never been really happy with the 3.73's. Not much of a change, I know. However, since I'm pulling out what's there, it's a chance to make the change.