Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160722 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #690
OK, I decided to rebuild the trunk by memory. But seeing that I don't trust my memory, this is what I came up with.
The last repair had a straight bend in it, and I noticed it was holding moisture. This time I decided to bend it on a curve, so moisture can travel to the weep holes.

this was a before.
Here you can see the straight bend that wasn't letting the water to the weep holes.

A great afternoon fix, but a bad design on my part.

Here's the start of the curved piece that will let water get out when the lid is closed.

It's tough to tell in this pic, but there's a compound curve in it.
Unfortunately, the only thing I don't own is a shrinker/stretcher.
So I had to pound it out by hand, which really sucks.
A little more fine tuning, and it'll be good.

Also got some of my stuff for surfacing the panels.
This will ensure that the car doesn't have any waves in it when I'm done. ;)
Now you know why I stripped it.

That's all for today my friends.........
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #691
I see lots of block sanding in your future. Could you not use a high build urethane primer instead. Maybe save a little block sanding time?

Reply #692
The car needs to be blocked no matter how I look at it. This will do a better job before the epoxy primer goes on. Especially on the panels that got welded.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #693
Most of us would have purchased another trunk lid... but nooooooo, not you!

Just kidding. I bow down to your greatness, lol.

Reply #694
I give you alot of credit for going out there on a consistent basis and working on your car. I know I can't do that.

Reply #695
Quote from: DerikWayne;247143
Most of us would have purchased another trunk lid... but nooooooo, not you!

Just kidding. I bow down to your greatness, lol.
Most of us would have gotten a new car! LOL.

Jerry I have a question for you. since you brought up the subject of the underside of my SHO. What would you recommend "winterizing" it with? I'm on a budget so I need the cheap route.

As much as I would like to seal/undercoat it I dont think I can afford it right now.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #696
Quote from: thundr306;247146
I give you alot of credit for going out there on a consistent basis and working on your car. I know I can't do that.

Thanks,
Being a contractor usually gives me a bunch of free time from Thanksgiving till the end of January (tax return time).
When work start up again, it'll be hit and miss like during the summer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #697
Quote from: DVP;247147
Most of us would have gotten a new car! LOL.

Jerry I have a question for you. since you brought up the subject of the underside of my SHO. What would you recommend "winterizing" it with? I'm on a budget so I need the cheap route.

As much as I would like to seal/undercoat it I dont think I can afford it right now.

If I had got another car, I still would have taken it apart and stripped it to the point this one is. This car cost me very little money to keep and rebuild compared to finding one and getting it back to Buffalo.
If I didn't upgrade and add anything extra, It only cost me about $500 to fix it with all the panels and materials I got into it.

As far as undercoating, The spray can stuff would be the cheapest and easiest. I don't know what the underneath looks like right now but if there's rust already, it's gonna keep rusting until you get rid of it.
I may just say that if you have a lot of rust, then don't undercoat it until you can treat it or blast it. undercoating it will make a big mess that you'll have to clean off before you can treat or paint with encapsulator.
A gallon of Zero Rust is only $52. You can do the entire underside of your car 2X  and it would be rustproofed almost forever. then you could undercoat it if you wanted.

Hows that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #698
Undercoating?We don't need no steenking undercoating here !!! LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #699
I wish I had the time to do this to my car
and tools
and space
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #700
Quote from: 347Thunder;247007
All I have to say is, you are out of your brilliant mind! lol

My headache's gettin bigger.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #701
Quote from: daboss351;247215
I wish I had the time to do this to my car
and tools
and space
And money.

But, having time to do all of this is what makes it worthwhile.  IMO, the best bodymen are the ones who have done it over and over and over and over again.
1987 TC

Reply #702
But when you are a bodyman you never want to come home to work on your own. I only finished my car because I stopped doing it for a living.LOL
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #703
Project is temporarily on hold, due to my dad passing away unexpectedly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #704
Im glad you didnt buy another car. Its fun to see the insides of our cars. Plus Im learning ALOT. Will the Zero Rust stop the rust? Its not bad but if I keep it I would like it to not get worse.
1986 Cougar LS