Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160459 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #270
It's an 03 and there's already rust around the windows.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #271
yep
chebby products..... I swear there WAS a 03 chevy van around here
body was in worse shape then your cougar
floors and frame rails rotted right out of the  thing
it was horrible cause it was newer.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #272
The only reason we still have it is, well, it's pretty quick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #273
Now that I'm advancing beyond lurker status...I just wanted to say: WOW!  The work that you have done for this car is beyond awesome.  Like others have mentioned, up until now, this level of work has been unheard of for fox cougars. 

I'm going to need to take some welding lessons myself; I've got a lot of rot in my car, as well as a few plugged holes (from the antennae and lightbar).

-Rob
1996 Police Interceptor- 173K miles
Engine: '03 SOHC 4.6, Underdrives, FRPP shorties, 80mm MAF, Watson Engineering downpipes, and 70MM T/B. Oh yeah, Dyno Tune done by Livernois Motorsports.  :evilgrin:
Tranny: '00 4R70W w/ mild J-Mod +  Spiral Lock clip, 11.25" torque converter, and an auxillary tranny cooler.

Reply #274
So after it's all done are you going to run around with a 5.0 HO and wire wheels? It would be funny to see you burn the tires if you keep the wire hubcaps :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #275
Quote from: thunderjet302;222510
So after it's all done are you going to run around with a 5.0 HO and wire wheels? It would be funny to see you burn the tires if you keep the wire hubcaps :D

LOL
I may even keep the whitewalls. Who would expect a HO in it. :evilgrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #276
Quote from: theredlineboss;222473
Now that I'm advancing beyond lurker status...I just wanted to say: WOW!  The work that you have done for this car is beyond awesome.  Like others have mentioned, up until now, this level of work has been unheard of for fox cougars. 

I'm going to need to take some welding lessons myself; I've got a lot of rot in my car, as well as a few plugged holes (from the antennae and lightbar).

-Rob

It's just a Mustang thats a little longer. I never thought it was odd to want to rebuild it. I thought everyone else on the board was doing stuff like this when I joined. I didn't know you could still buy one in one piece out west. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #277
Quote from: daminc;222525
It's just a Mustang thats a little longer.

and ALOT less power...

Reply #278
Quote from: daminc;222525
It's just a Mustang thats a little longer. I never thought it was odd to want to rebuild it. I thought everyone else on the board was doing stuff like this when I joined. I didn't know you could still buy one in one piece out west. :hick:

Jerry, count me in as one of those "everyone" guys,lol.  You'll be finished before me, though.
1987 TC

Reply #279
Quote from: HAVI;222629
Jerry, count me in as one of those "everyone" guys,lol.  You'll be finished before me, though.

We'll see what you think after you see this side of the car. LOL
Scott, I have some side moulding you can have. (front Quarter panel moulding)

Well, Its time to get the other side going.
I got it back up to work on this side.

Now it's time to look over the damage.

The rocker on this side is in pretty good shape. The front part is un-rusted as is the rest of the panel until it gets to the quarter panel seam.
The bottom seems a little thin, and I'll probably cut it out and replace the flat section that gets welded to the floor pan underneath

Looking at this side, I see that it's a lot better then the other side.
Here's a pic of the condition of the rubber on the windows of the car. I hear a lot of talk about everyone needing new 1/4 windows and dew strips. Its about the only thing I don't need on the exterior of my car.

This side will get the same treatment as the other. Just a bit less in the panel replacing.
The quarter panel will get cut, much like the other side.
I'm still undecided about where I'm going to cut the panel where it meets the door

The inside jamb and the rocker will get replaced like the other side

Well, thats all I got to show. Now it's time to do it.
Until next Time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #280
god nn
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #281
In light of post #280, it'll be close, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #282
That was a lot of rust but Great work so far man.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #283
I started the pass. side this afternoon.
I cut out the bad spots

You can see, the rocker front doesn't need to be repaired on this side. I pulled the plug out and stuck my finger in there. I didn't feel any rust at all inside there.

Started pre-bending everything, so I could weld it up at one time

another gorgeous day in Buffalo, NY

Here's a little more pre-fab work. Everything marked

And as they say on the cooking show,  BAM!!!
(You gotta have the lines in the floor.)

On to the back.
I'm skipping some pics, because it's mainly a replay of the other side. there's also less to repair, as you can see by the way it's moving along.
This all happened in about 2 hrs. time

Here is the back of the pan cut out, like the other side.

here is everything ready to be welded. just need a few more pieces to finish it up.
I'll also fill the hole from the plug. It's easier to cut the floor for the frame, when it's solid.

Of course, everything will be treated with pickelx, before welding.
I'll open up the frame to treat the inside of them too.
(I feel like I've done this before)
Thats all for today my friends.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #284
Your Monte Carlo has a 100000 mile warranty against rust.
One 88