Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160462 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #300
no but your car is in alot better shape than the 86 tbird i junked. i swear the car woulded of folded up under a stiff breze(sp). i mean there was more metal missing than what was there.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #301
Quote from: Cougar8775;225088
no but your car is in alot better shape than the 86 tbird i junked. i swear the car woulded of folded up under a stiff breze(sp). i mean there was more metal missing than what was there.

I guess it's all relative to what you compare it too
At least this side is better then the other.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #302
The last of the floor repair on the entire car.
Thank God, It's got to be the most awkward position to work in.

I made sure I had enough to weld the patches to the frame, before I covered it up.

the entire side still needs to be seam sealed and primed again.
I'll do that after the SFC gets cut through the floor.

Up next!
cutting off the lip from the lower rocker, where it meets the floor.
Also, cutting off the bottom of the rocker and replacing it with new metal, so the jacking rail has something strong to hold on to.

after the new lip is replaced, I'll make the SFC for the pass. side, and get rid of the rest of the rust underneath the car.

We are now officially "Flintstone" Free
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #303
Quote from: daminc;225048

Here's a few pics of what's to come next

What is Your plan with those exessive parts of old floor ? There is rather big gap between sheets.
Only sealing, weld edges from underneath and sealing or cut exessive part and sealing ?
Without seam sealing rust will come inside from here.

Cougar 86 3,8ltr TBI

Reply #304
They will be tightened up and seam sealed after the rust is treated and coated.
I couldn't find a good pic, because it's hard to take one under there.
Here is what the underneath of the drivers side looks like.
I would say 25-30% of this side was repaired the same way

and then after this goes on, its tough to see where the repairs were.

I'm also not worried about rusting, as this car will never be out in bad weather. It will never see salt again and will be checked over every spring before it leaves it's auto copuppies.
It will also be trailered for long distance travel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #305
Started cleaning up the rust underneath the car
Used pickelx and a wire brush, cleans it up to metal again.
Then I just wiped off the rust and did it again.
and then a coat of encapsulator.
I was going to cut the bottom lip off the rocker, but I need to think about where I'm going to put the E-brake brackets that are welded to the rocker lip right now. (can be seen in second pic)

Notice the front frame still has paint on it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #306
This is the part where I cut up what actually looks good.
Is it wrong that I enjoy doing this. LOL

Now you see it.

Now you don't
that's the lip from the inner and outer rocker.
excuse me, that WAS the lip

Here it is cut off flush with the floor.

I knew the rocker was rusted badly, even though it looked good

again, I cut out the supports that were rusted. and I will reinforce them like the other side.
you can see the extra welds I did on the existing panels a lot better from here.

Here's the new inner lip ready to be welded to the inner rocker.
You can also see the support that needs to be repaired a lot better
also another good shot of the extra welds that I did inside the car.

another view

I probably won't be working on it for a couple weeks.
I need the pass side door on, before I can go any farther on this side. There's just too much of my door missing to try to put the quarter and door jamb together.

I may take the doors off to get rid of any rust before the replacements arrive in 2 weeks. and of course I won't be working on it next weekend, because I'll be attending Catjam 08.

I'll be uploading pics from Catjam from Fri - Sun, so if you not able to make it, you can see what I saw that weekend.

So, I'll see some of you this coming weekend. I should be easy to find, I have no cat, but now I have a Panther (The New Blues Mobile).

I'll be back with more updates in 2 weeks.
See you then
Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #307
I'm back,
Just a few pics.

Inner rocker tacked

Inner, inner rocker tacked to floor, which will also be welded to the jacking rail

It's not pretty, but it's really strong

I'm just finishing up where I left off 2 weeks ago. I'll finish welding everything tomorrow
Hopefully I can remember what I planned to do next. It's been a while.
I think it was SFC's on this side and then the quarter panel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #308
"Anything built by man can be fixed by man"

I don't know who first said it, it has sparked many a debate. Jerry seems to be living proof that it is indeed true. T'is wonderful. :bowdown:

This will keep me subscribed to any updates eh? :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #309
Spent  an hour on the car today.
Started cutting the frame and the floor.

Here's the before I took a sawzall to it shot

A few "as I go" pics

Here's a shot of the dry fit to mark the floor to cut.

another shot

Here's a shot of the floor cut out and ready to test the SFC

Here it is in place

inside view

Next I'll be working on the jacking rails and cross braces. (The fun stuff)

The parts train came through Grand Island today.
And guess what, I got a delivery from kitzdnm as he was passing through on his way to Canada.
here's some new stuff for my project.

I also got a TC front bumper cover with almost no scuffs on it with the chrome strip around it. (I love my chrome)  and a dual power seat switchplate for a full console

Until next time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #310
NICE!!
want heads next??
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #311
What you got?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #312
Wow thats a lot of Rust but great job rebuiling it not crushing many props.

Reply #313
i got e7's
and ill send you a pm about what else
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #314
Hey ic,so thats where my egr spacer is.Thats a 70mm one.
I was wondering where I put that.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +