Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160458 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #315
Need it back?
I'll send it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #316
I have no use for it.I was just wondering the other day where I put it.put it to good use.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #317
Thanks, I'll treat it like gold. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #318
I have new gaskets for it somewhere,I'll mail them to you when I find them.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #319
Thanks, kitz

Just to put it out there:
I'll be looking for a decent set of heads in the fall or early winter. (Pref. GT40s)
and some other misc. HO upgrade parts. (need to find out what I have collected first)
got to space these things out to buy them.
Getting a set of Chucks motor mounts this weekend first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #320
The cw mounts are nice.

Reply #321
got mine.  I think they'll hold up pretty well.  I got mine with the hard rubber.
1987 TC

Reply #322
Todays adventure is all about doors.
I took off my old doors and got the new doors ready to go on.
Here's one of the new doors all cleaned up and ready to be encapsulated.
I stripped the old seam sealer and cleaned off the surface rust. Then treated it with pickelx.

then the painting.
After this dries, I'll put on the new seam sealer, then coat it again.

So, I'm taking the doors off. Pulling wires, unpluging connectors, pulling out the door lock poppers, when it hit me. My hands aren't getting dirty. After all that work with my hands inside the door, you would think they would be black from undercoating and rustproofing inside the panels.
I figured out why my car rusted out.
Here's a pic of the inside of my door.

Then it got me thinking. I don't remember seeing any rustproofong in the rockers either. or in the front of the quarter panels, right next to the door.
!!    The car was never rustproofed!
Not that its a bad thing. BUT I LIVE IN BUFFALO!!
I can't believe the first owner didn't have it rustproofed.
Oh well, things you wished you knew. LOL

So, here is my car the way it sits waiting for the doors to be put on.

That's all for today my friends. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #323
Aren't the frickin' doors heavy! I had 'em both off my car during the body work and couldn't believe what they weighed! It's no wonder these things weigh upwards of 3500 pounds...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #324
I HATE adjusting the doors to fit right.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #325
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;229222
Aren't the frickin' doors heavy! I had 'em both off my car during the body work and couldn't believe what they weighed! It's no wonder these things weigh upwards of 3500 pounds...

I had my son help to unload them when kitz came over.
He thought I was crazy that I asked him to help with the doors.
Then he picked up one end with me and his eyes got real big and he said he couldn't believe they were that heavy. LOL

I remember the doors on my 78 monarch were a 3 person install.

I'm going to weigh one tomorrow.
Any bets on the weight?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #326
Ok, I forget...  when did you say you were coming to CA to do 'all of the above' on my car?  LOL

Truly amazing work!  I hope one day I am good enough to do this to a car and still have it look like a car!  :hick:
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #327
I'll be there when the ground stops moving. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #328
87.5lb's

Reply #329
First, I'll start with a few pics of the old doors. Sure I could have fixed them, but doors are easy to change. Yea, yea, I know I could have done that with the whole car right from the start. LOL

here's a couple pics of the seam sealer on the new doors.
Gotta make it look nice.

Taping it off

seam sealer on

Tape off

and here's the other door

While the doors are setting up, I took the time to get rid of any rust in the door jambs and around any joints.
as you can see, there's a little in the hinge area.

Got out my trusty sand blaster, and went to town.

Yes, I did both sides

And by now, you know what I'm going to say next.....
after blasting, I treated the bare metal with pickelx to keep it from rusting.

So another fun day with doors. (more like an hour) but still fun. I'll put another coat on the bottom of the doors, before I put them on.
I'm only putting them on right now, to finish the metal work.
I'll be taking them off again when I strip the paint off the car to epoxy prime it. the doors will also be easier to work on off the car. and the jambs will be stripped the rest of the way.
I didn't have to blast the rust off the jambs right now, but I wanted to see how well they would clean up.

Until next time boys and girls, (you know who you are)
See you next week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook