Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1161046 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #2670
Actually, I may have them in mine...Vinnie sent me some springs, and when I put the car back together with the new tubular parts, the rear dropped about 1 1/2" from the original springs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2671
perfect example...
stock rear, and springs

and immediately after the entire rear end swap...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2672
Yeah, I want to get some CHE adjustable lowers eventually for mine.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2673
I now see that I should have got the adjustable lowers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2674
my 87 is identical to yours (or was i should say), and it also sits and always has sat higher than my 20th. 
i think having quad shocks in the rear will make it more tricky for me to adapt the profile so the installed new shocks are placed at a higher point.
I dont think i need to adapt the horizontal shocks, just the ones that pass through the trunk.

Reply #2675
I thought about an adapter plate for mine... Not sure how I would bolt it on so there's no movement between the rear and the shock without welding..
Air shocks seem to be an easier solution right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2676
I had the Ford Motorsports handling kit for the T-Bird and the rear on mine sagged for quite some time. This summer I decided to try to level it so I got the SN95 Mustang rear coils for it and it went even lower. Then I got a set of Fox body Mustang rear coils for it, they brought it up but not quit to the hight of the Motorsport coils. I was thinking of going with air shocks but decided to try a set of factory rears from an 87-88 cougar at the jy. To my suprise they leveled it. So now I'm thinking the front Motorsports coils weren't lowering coils at all. It sits level now and I'm happy with it even though it does sit higher than I'd prefer. I like my wheels I have now but they're 14s and I'd like to go with 17s someday. But they're not on my must have list at the moment.

Reply #2677
I have air shocks on the Sport. Reason.....When I'd carry a heavier load,like groceries,I'll air up the rear so it'll sit level with a months worth of stuff,then when I unload,I just let a little air from the shocks. The doa great job. I have the schrader valve on the tail light panel....When I open the trunk,it's right on the back driver side area outside the trunk seal so it's hidden from view ,yet super easy to access.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2678
got my headers... now I can start putting everything back on the motor.
No problem getting to these plugs now..

My favorite part is the tag on them...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2679
Those are pretty , do they need a special h-pipe
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2680
Why did you give up on your header project?, The new ones are nice though. Oh yeh I wish I could of used those vc covers,you got them looking nice.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2681
they wouldn't clear the frame on either side... Going to try and use them on the vert
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2682
I wouldn't think that they would need a special h pipe...
And these things weigh a freakin ton..... bet the front of the car went down some....lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2683
Hey Jerry I thinking, I know it's scary, but once your front end goes down with more weight your ass end is going to raise a little. It may just work out right.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2684
I'm hoping the same. I didn't realize stainless headers would weigh so much..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook