Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160934 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1695
Lookin' good!  You are gettin there!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #1696
It's looking good.

It's going to look kick ass when you get the wire wheel covers on it! ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1697
Everytime I see that 'Vert with the Cobra wheels on it...I have to readjust myself.

Glad to see the '87 coming along so nicely.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #1698
Quote from: Chuck W;302670
Everytime I see that 'Vert with the Cobra wheels on it...I have to readjust myself.

I have to agree!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #1699
There is no better Ford made wheel for these cars.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1700
You painting black over black shiny primer? Never seen primer that shiny.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1701
Quote from: Kitz Kat;302698
You painting black over black shiny primer? Never seen primer that shiny.

It has to be either painted within the 48 hr window for a chemical bond, or it has to be sanded with 180 after the 48 hr window for a mechanical bond.

It was still wet when I took the pic. I't's more of a semi-gloss now. and feels like liquid steel.

The 2k primer that goes on next also has to be blocked flat before the paint. I'll do that after New Years.. Going to get the hood and pass side epoxied this weekend hopefully. I had to do this, because every time I sand the car. I keep going down to the metal in huge areas, and have to keep priming it so it won't flash rust. So I said hell with that, and put the epoxy on it. It's almost perfectly flat now anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1702
Quote from: V8Demon;302684
There is no better Ford made wheel for these cars.

I have to agree. Every time I go in the garage and see them, I actually stop for a minute and stare at them on the car. I hope the turbines I have for the 87 don't look like  next to these. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1703
Quote from: daminc;302707
I have to agree. Every time I go in the garage and see them, I actually stop for a minute and stare at them on the car. I hope the turbines I have for the 87 don't look like  next to these. :hick:

I doubt it...turbines looks good too.  Its just a different kinda good.  Like a "hey I'm from the 80's and proud of it" good. :D
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #1704
one color!  im jelous now.  its going to be a long time before my bird leaves the garage again and now my dad has one too.  its cool to see two birds in the garage.  idk if he likes his truck living outside with the snow and all but i think in the end it will be worth it.  keep it up!
84 TC - under contruction
2018 F150 2.7 4x4 STX
98 F-150 XLT - 4.6, auto, 4x4, extended cab

Reply #1705
Ok, I have to admit that it was weird seeing it one color all of a sudden, and black on top of it all. Took a few days to adjust to the color change since I only saw the car white for the last 20 years. The freaking out about the body work being good enough for black paint is also over too. That has been on my mind since I cut the first quarter panel off and welded a 40" seam across the side of it, in plain sight. :hick:

So now the push is on. I plan on getting the rest of the car primed by Monday. Then I need to work on the fenders, and prime them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1706
Today's progress. Worked on this for a bit today.

I ground the rust off the back side and forgot to get a pic. then I started removing the paint and large patch of filler that didn't seem to be needed at all. figured I had an hour to kill and attacked the fender. Tomorrow, I'll be doing another pass on the passenger side of the car with 180 grit, to get it ready for a coat of primer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1707
Jerry,remove the lower section of that brace on the mid part of the fender(the one that's all rusted) and leave it off.
Did that to my two fenders years ago.
It's where all the dirt collects over the years and then turns to mud which rotts out the fender from the inside.
You won't be able to clean out the rust undernieth it if you don't and i'd hate to see it rot through after the car is painted.
Just a word of thought for ya.

Reply #1708
Thanks, I was actually thinking the same thing. you wouldn't believe the  that came out of there. well, maybe you would.
That's exactly where all the fenders rot out. And also where the mud flaps are screwed on. I was also going to cut the end brace at the bottom too, and get some rust treatment in there. But as with all my cars, past and present, I always keep extra panels around. I got extra fenders, doors, hoods, header panels, and 1 trunk lid for this car. Along with the entire car wiring front to back, and heating and cooling box behind the dash. steering column, and dash parts too. This car will live on forever. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1709
When I installed me replacement front fenders,they were also loaded with years of collected dirt and misc. .No rust though.Finding front fenders with no bends and dents was the hard part.Luckily a guy with a complete parts car told me that I could have anything I wanted off of it if I would swap the heater core in his Stang.Not a problem.I made out like a bandit on that deal.That was over a year ago.I need another deal like that.

Jerry,nice work.Maybe you can have the car painted by the time you go to bed tonight.

By the way,look at us "old guys".Up before the butt crack of dawn,and to me I slept late.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..