Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160988 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1575
Quote from: massCougarxr7;285087
it dissapoints me to see this thread  at 75% completion.............
But then again,.......next up is the VERT!!!!!!

Don't worry, I could stretch it out for another year if I needed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1576
What do you sand the contours with then? I used a piece of garden hose wrapped in paper.

Reply #1577
I still use the same board. I just follow through from the flat surface into the contoured area with the long edge of the board. It takes a lot of practice, but it wont create low spots coming off the flats.
If you use a straight line sander like I'm doing, it's easy to keep the curves and lines all straight and flat, because it's 17" long and will always stay on top of all the high spots when you sand.
You also need to use a guide coat when sanding a panel, or you'll never know if it's really flat or wavy

It might be time for me to make a video of some of this finishing work as I progress.
The other 1/4 panel, door, and both fenders still need to be done

This was after 5 min of sanding. you can immediately see where all the lows are once you drag the sander across the panel.

same panel after leveling. The dark spots need filling, because I'm down to bare metal on the edges.
You can see dark areas near the mirror area, around the handle area, and in the curve of the door near the fender

The 1/4 obviously needs filling. if I used a shorter sander or something flexible here, you would see a wave in the paint when it was in the sun. If you use a hose with paper on it for some sanding, make sure it's stiff enough to work with. You probably won't need to use it much. Maybe a couple small trouble areas that the board can't get into
You just need to remember that smooth isn't the same thing as flat. If I sanded this out (and the door) without more filling, it would look like a fun house mirror after it was painted. :hick:
Just keep in mind that mine has a little more leveling involved, because of the welding, and the 2 panels that are matched up back here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1578
When ya going to come over and do my T-bird. It doesn't have any rust. It just needs to be striped, smoothed, sanded, and painted ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1579
Thanks for the pointers.  Now just give me your cell phone number so I have someone to call when I start the body work on the Rabbit.

Reply #1580
One caution about the sander pictured. The paper tends to get pulled into the low spots and remove the guide coat leading you to believe that the surface is perfectly level when in fact it is not. The same sanding board, but made to utilize PSA paper, a sticky backed sanding paper (PSA: Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) works much better as the adhesive keeps the paper adhered to the board and thus not down in the low spots.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #1581
Quote from: ProTouring442;285258
One caution about the sander pictured. The paper tends to get pulled into the low spots and remove the guide coat leading you to believe that the surface is perfectly level when in fact it is not. The same sanding board, but made to utilize PSA paper, a sticky backed sanding paper (PSA: Pressure Sensitive Adhesive) works much better as the adhesive keeps the paper adhered to the board and thus not down in the low spots.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

I will agree with that. The press on sander paper is better.
I'm still stuck in the old school way of doing certain things.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1582
Quote from: daminc;285146

those work great with adheasive paper.

that what i used on my mav the first few times i primed and blocked it with 80 grit
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #1583
Quote from: ProTouring442;285258

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

you made a summary of the novel i was about to type,,, x2 on sticky back sand paper.  it will also stretch an sag into the low areas if non sticky back is used.

Reply #1584
how are you taking care of the high spots?

I have always had problems dealing with outward dings and higher surfaces.
Am i correct to flat hammer the areas down, then fill/sand on the larger ones while the lower high spots i would count on the primer and paint to build up around and hide.

Reply #1585
Yes, the high spots will be hit down and filled where needed. unless I can spray another coat over everything and it'll flatten out. Don't forget it still needs to be primed next.
Gonna try to get back to work on it again before the weekend. I'll also try to get a new update and some pics. This side came out a little worse then the drivers side during the panel welding too.

I'll get some sticky paper... Now watch me mess it up. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1586
Your doing fine. I was watching. I have faith in you and the old way's.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1587
hmm
make the last thread stop of page 199 making it the 199speedo mod post. 

looks like a good end to a great story.

Reply #1588
I see it as page 40?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1589
Period of absence catch up complete.

I will miss the progress when it is complete.
1986 Cougar LS