Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160987 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #1560
Jerry, this slick sand, who makes it?  I've really only dealt with PPG, and K36 primer surfacer.  So is it a temporary coating that you sand off as you smooth? like maybe a 480 grit DA?  I'm curious, as I'm looking to soda blast my car, neutralize it, then want to cover it with something, before doing body work and epoxy.

Can you tell I've been out of the bodywork loop for awhile? lol
1987 TC

Reply #1561
Quote from: 1Bad88tbird;284150
With you getting it in primer we can't tell how many cars went into the build. Lookin good!

Thats a good thing.;)

HAVI   
Jerry, this slick sand, who makes it? I've really only dealt with PPG, and K36 primer surfacer. So is it a temporary coating that you sand off as you smooth? like maybe a 480 grit DA? I'm curious, as I'm looking to soda blast my car, neutralize it, then want to cover it with something, before doing body work and epoxy.

Can you tell I've been out of the bodywork loop for awhile? lol

I was out of the loop too. LOL

Evercoat makes Slick Sand, and Rage filler which is supposed to be the best to work with.
http://www.evercoat.com/productCategory.aspx?cat=2
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28

It's mainly a leveler/primer so to speak. They say it grabs the best on bare metal scratched with 80 grit, and  over epoxy.
If you don't have a lot of welding and are just surfacing the car, I would just epoxy it as soon as your done blasting it. The epoxy will seal the metal better then slick sand if your not going to work on it for a long while. Then if you have to do any body work, you can grind the epoxy off where you need to. I did the SS first because I'm so close to priming it, and the SS will need to be epoxied or sealed before the paint goes on anyway. That's why I cut out the epoxy on bare metal step.

The other way. is to blast it and use picklex on the bare metal, but it needs to stay dry and also needs to be in primer within a few months or it will start rusting again from the humidity in the air. (like mine)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1562
Looks done to me. It's getting there now.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1563
I'm used to applying epoxy primer first, now I see.  Makes sense in your case.
1987 TC

Reply #1564
Got out the long board.

Then sprayed another coat on everything and the hood

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1565
We're getting to the exciting part!!

Reply #1566
And I thought the metal work was the exciting part..........LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1567
Man I wish I could lay down mud like you.  I can't count how many layers I laid down, then sanded off trying to get my panel perfect.  It never did come out perfect by the way.

Reply #1568
sometimes less is more. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1569
Quote from: daminc;284457
sometimes less is more. ;)

:bowdown:
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #1570
started the guide coat, and leveling today.
Now we can see where all the low, and high spots are on the panels. ;)

The dark shadows are the low spots in the panels.
silver spots are the high spots in the panels

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1571
Would you mind showing me what you use for sanding?  I did most of my work with a D/A, and a 8" board.  I needed to buy a flex long-board but never got one.  Its been my experience that there is a "sweet set" of tools that will do 99.9% of the work that needs to be done.  You don't seem to be the type to waste $$.

Your causing me flashbacks.

-DZ

Reply #1572
it dissapoints me to see this thread  at 75% completion.............
But then again,.......next up is the VERT!!!!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #1573
take off all the paint and clear coat it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #1574
Quote from: danzajax;285075
Would you mind showing me what you use for sanding?  I did most of my work with a D/A, and a 8" board.  I needed to buy a flex long-board but never got one.  Its been my experience that there is a "sweet set" of tools that will do 99.9% of the work that needs to be done.  You don't seem to be the type to waste $$.

Your causing me flashbacks.

-DZ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook