Skip to main content
Topic: Mass Air question..... (Read 4412 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass Air question.....

Will a Mass Air sensor from a V-6 work on a V-8 if the injectors between the two engines are the same?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Mass Air question.....

Reply #1
i dont thin injector size matters as thats what the computer controls. if you mean only the sensor i would imagine you'd need to find one that puts out the same output voltage at the same conditions (density of air) as stock. all the computer see's is voltage and it componsates, it doesnt care where it gets its voltage or what the voltage really is, it just adjusts fuel from what its told by maf sensor voltage.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Mass Air question.....

Reply #2
So,a Mass Air sensor that can come from a V-6 car can be used on a V-8 car using the same injectors,just two more of them.Right or wrong?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Mass Air question.....

Reply #3
i would think its doable i mean if its same plug same everything onlything you can do is look at the part #'s between the v6 and the v8 mass airflow meter and see if they match up.....plug same #'s match up probly gonna work....mass airflows just measure incomming air i dont think it matters so much as the #of cyls....because look at gm almost all of the v6 and v8 motors have the same mass air meter....so if its sitting around try it......

Mass Air question.....

Reply #4
Probably different man.
Due to the fact of air flow metered.
v8 is going to suck in more air than a v6.

Mass Air question.....

Reply #5
I tried to put a Mark VIII meter on my cougar with 19# injectors and it didn't work. So I put the 19# sensor back on it.

The casting is what you need to wory about. The sample tube inside is tuned to the size of the injectors is what I found out.

Mass Air question.....

Reply #6
I found a chart a long time ago on the intarweb (that has disappeared) that showed which motors/injector combos used which MAF meters.  It even showed the factory ford part# for the sensors.  Many v6 and v8 motors did in fact use the same sensor. I just wish I could find that chart again.  You'd know exactly which ones you could use.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Mass Air question.....

Reply #7
What’s the part #?
Maybe it’s a universal ford part#

Mass Air question.....

Reply #8
Well,the Mark VIII sensor probably didn't work with the 19# injectors because a Mark VIII uses 24's.I don't have a part number right now.I'll try to grab the sensors this week.I'm grabbing them both because they are free,and,if they DO work,I'll have one to sell with a set of 24# injectors (an extra set).

Mass Air question.....

Reply #9
Quote from: vinnietbird;186424
Well,the Mark VIII sensor probably didn't work with the 19# injectors because a Mark VIII uses 24's.

Thats what I was gettting at. Its the casting thats different for different injectors. Because I can swap the actual sensor from casting to casting and it will work. They had the same part numbers on them but the casting had a bigger opening for the air to flow across the sensor.

Mass Air question.....

Reply #10
I found this:  http://www.micro-tech-auto.com/images/pdf/mafcat.pdf

It has an OEM parts interchange list on it as well.  It's not the chart I was refering to, but it works.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Mass Air question.....

Reply #11
I'll grab those sensors and check the numbers.Thanks a lot.

Mass Air question.....

Reply #12
I used a mass sensor from a v6 car,70 something mm, don't do it...it will run very fat and you will end up replaceing your o2 sensors. Trust me on this, stick with a V8 sensor or swap the sensor portion of it to a 80mm(plastic housing) and you will have no problems.

J
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Mass Air question.....

Reply #13
No biggie,I'll wait until I have everything I need.I'm not going to just start throwin parts at it.I'll talk to Kitz,he may have what I need.

Mass Air question.....

Reply #14
A sensor for a '95 300 I-6 is the same as on the wifes '93 4.6 Grand Marquis...

SOME ARE THE SAME.... Others are not....