Skip to main content
Topic: HO conversion COMPLETE (tons'a pics pg 7,9) (Read 11759 times) previous topic - next topic

HO conversion COMPLETE (tons'a pics pg 7,9)

Reply #75
i don't think hes coming back unless its running!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #76
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;132391
whats up with the stock exhaust manifolds man? gotta let her breathe.

i think he couldnt get a pair of headers yet, but thats coming soon.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #77
So is it running?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #78
Yes everyone, SHE IS RUNNING.  We hit several snags when tryin to get her to run, like a bad O-ring on one of the fuel injectors, and then a tranny fluid line leak, but we fixed them both and got her on the road.  I still havent gotten to drive her yet, but I can tell you that the power is AWESOME.  And even with the stock exhaust system, she sounds pretty  good.

So you're probably wondering why I havent driven it yet.  Well, for the first drive, I figured my dad went through so much shiznit with this project that he deserved to get the first drive.  So we went around the block and came back, and noticed that the temperature guage was hovering just barely below Hot.  There is no pressure in the radiator hose that goes out from the thermostat, so we're pretty sure its a bad thermostat.  But I wont be able to take her out drivin until we get it fixed.  After 3 days of 10-12 hours of work, I'm drained.  Me, my dad, and my uncle are all drained.  Hopefully tomorrow we can snap a new thermostat in there and it'll be good to go.  But nonetheless, she runs beautifully and the power is just awesome.  I cant wait to go cruisin.

PS - I would upload pics, but I'm way too tired.  Sorry, you all will have to wait till tomorrow night :P

Reply #79
You're tired,so no pics?Tired?That's no excuse.LOL.Great job,and good work!!! I'm glad for you.It feels good to be so close doesn't it?Two thumbs up for you.I remember how I felt when we dropped the H.O into the 'Bird.awesome.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #80
NICE. congrats, now get some rest!!!

im almost there with ya. i realized for one thing my timing was retarded about 20 friggin degrees, cuz i did it without pulling the SPOUT connector:toilet: . so i did it right this time, mileage came back up and so did the power. all the way there? gotta do some more testing to find out.

but thats really great to hear that yours just WORKED right of the bat!

have fun, but dont get the cops on your case :evilgrin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #81
Yeah, still sucks that I cant take her to school tomorrow though.  Oh well, hopefully a new thermostat will fix the problem and I'll get to cruise around tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone for all the help, tips, and encouragement.

Reply #82
Cool:D  I'll be there with ya in a few days. I start my GT-40 HO swap on the 12th. I can't wait.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #83
glad to hear you got her going man
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #84
I'm really dying to drive her and get to cruise some.  I cant stop thinkin about backing her outta the garage listenin to the slow rumble of the engine, thinkin to myself "Hell yeah."

Reply #85
now impinge it with headers, a bigger exhaust and flows god
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #86
hahaha dont even get me started...

Reply #87
Quote from: kingcars;132536
Yeah, still sucks that I cant take her to school tomorrow though.  Oh well, hopefully a new thermostat will fix the problem and I'll get to cruise around tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone for all the help, tips, and encouragement.

um I HOPE you were awake enough to check for an air lock and not just assume it was a bad thermostat.  otherwise you will have the same problem with the new one.

Bleed all the air out of the rad, before you try changing the thermostat.

Reply #88
We drove her a couple of times and nothing changed.  Also, dad and I both remember seeing the thermostat sitting in the housing before we installed it, and it was in backwards (although nobody noticed it).  If that doesnt fix it, then we'll probably try that.  But we're both pretty sure its just a backwards thermostat.  He got a fail-safe one so a little bit of water was still moving, which would explain why the car hovered below Hot and never went higher.

Reply #89
Sweet! Congrats on getting it together.