Skip to main content
Topic: Diary of a TC... (Read 9660 times) previous topic - next topic

Diary of a TC...

I have gotten to the point where this car is no longer fun. And now I need to make a decision. Keep it, trade it (for a newer car), or sell it... and buy and another used car. Selling it is really not appealing as no one will pay for what I think it is worth. Especially with a decaying strut tower which is understandable. Which I didn't find out about until the engine was pulled. But I may try anyways.

I could use it as a trade-in, but I'll just get screwed by the dealer for some other POS that I probably won't want, not to mention I don't need the car payments right now with a possible mortgage coming right around the corner. Plus I don't want all those unique parts (FMS Specific Springs, Shock Mounts, RLCAs, etc...) to go to waste. I'd rather part it out before letting that happen.

Then there's keeping it... which in all likelihood I will do, as I just need to vent. All it needs to be streetable is exhaust, gas tank and tweaking a couple oil leaks and I'm in business. But that's just the bare minimum. I don't do bare minimum. The front control arms, front brakes, rear control arms and axle bushings all need to be replaced IMO. SFCs need to be installed and a couple other minor things before I can be happy. The strut tower is a concern, but it's a long way away from being a problem.

Maybe I'm coming down with cabin fever... I just need an above freezing weekend to drag this thing to cougarman's place and finish it up.

/rant

EDIT: I'm using this as my progress thread (oh noes, not another right?). It's easier than keeping up with a cardomain page.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Diary of a TC...

Reply #1
Sounds like winter is getting to someone.

Is this thing your daily?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Diary of a TC...

Reply #2
Look at it this way, if you get rid of it, your gonna miss it, and you maybe bored, but stick it out, work it up into something else. If its stock its not good enough.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Diary of a TC...

Reply #3
know who you feel. wanted to sell my car while back when i did exaust/ floor shifter, while i froze my nuts off daily working on it and not making it anywhere if not moving backwards. it all works out for some time but then it will throw you another problem, like brakes/suspenion*cough*Cough*, but you have the love for these cars and when summer gets here the feeling of cruzin in a car that you know you won't see at the next stop light is wonderful.
1986 Cougar LS

Diary of a TC...

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;129389
Sounds like winter is getting to someone.

Is this thing your daily?

Yeah, I'm not used to the winters up here yet. I've been staring at http://www.weather.com everyday pleading for 32*. I've been ignored.

It's "supposed" to be my daily. It's getting there. Slowly.

Diary of a TC...

Reply #5
Quote from: Ether947;129403
Yeah, I'm not used to the winters up here yet. I've been staring at http://www.weather.com everyday pleading for 32*. I've been ignored.

It's "supposed" to be my daily. It's getting there. Slowly.

Trust me I know.  We've only had 2 days over 20* the past couple weeks...and now we've had two good snows in a week's time...getting pounded right now actually....and then it's supposed to deep freeze again. 

What sucks is Jan was mild....

Anyway, it all comes down to how badly you want it.

Diary of a TC...

Reply #6
Quote from: Chuck W;129421

Anyway, it all comes down to how badly you want it.

Just make sure you don't get into this situation.

http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/emergency/frostbite.asp

Check this site too it's constructive..

http://www.nsc.org/library/facts/cold.htm

No garage what about a tent.
http://www.equipped.com/tarp-shelters.htm

A construction scaffold and four tarps some bailing string or rope make a decent tent.

Finally to keep you warm check this out.
http://industrialsavings.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1100-80D&Category_Code=warmingpacks

Diary of a TC...

Reply #7
Start buying what you know you need,and stockpile it until the weather is a little nicer.I'm starting from scratch (literally) with project "Pheonix'.I got the engine in,then the shocks,now the wheels and tires,heater core,one step at a time.When I look at the BIG picture of everything it needs,it's a bit overwhelming,so,I just do one thing at a time,no mateer what is,because every little item bought,or installed,is still one step close to the finished product.hang in there,go check stuff on E-Bay,look for some good deals,and make a plan.It'll happen if you want it to.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Diary of a TC...

Reply #8
Just stick it out. Once the car is together, itll be a very rewarding drive. I hate the 2.3 issues i get, but once its running great, its worth it.
It's Gumby's fault.

Diary of a TC...

Reply #9
Well I just finished ordering most of my suspension parts and next weekend is looking like high 30s. So I may have it completed by that weekend... one can only hope.

Diary of a TC...

Reply #10
Go up to my "I just got my Cobra R's" thread and look at my 'Bird.It looks like A$$.I don't mind,though.I know it's going to come out of it in great shape.I installed the door locks,ignition tumbler and trunk lock yesterday.Not a big job,but,it is one step closer than I was.I think I'm going to go out and pull the interior panels and old seatbelts to make way fopr the replacemnt parts.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Diary of a TC...

Reply #11
New parts always seem to put a smile on my face... :D

Stinger's New Full 3-inch Exhaust Kit (3.5-inch Tip from Summit)

I downgraded my plans to 11-inch PBRs... don't worry, the Cobras are going to a good home.

Not pictured
KB SFCs
HPM MegaBite Jr. RLCAs
Stock Uppers with new bushings
FRPP Cobra Control Arms (Maybe I will install them this time)
Gillis
Some other ...

Diary of a TC...

Reply #12
What tailpipe is that? The one i have fits like ass and is one piece.
It's Gumby's fault.

Diary of a TC...

Reply #13
Quote from: Ether947;129381
I have gotten to the point where this car is no longer fun. And now I need to make a decision. Keep it, trade it (for a newer car), or sell it... and buy and another used car. Selling it is really not appealing as no one will pay for what I think it is worth. Especially with a decaying strut tower which is understandable. Which I didn't find out about until the engine was pulled. But I may try anyways.

I could use it as a trade-in, but I'll just get screwed by the dealer for some other POS that I probably won't want, not to mention I don't need the car payments right now with a possible mortgage coming right around the corner. Plus I don't want all those unique parts (FMS Specific Springs, Shock Mounts, RLCAs, etc...) to go to waste. I'd rather part it out before letting that happen.

Then there's keeping it... which in all likelihood I will do, as I just need to vent. All it needs to be streetable is exhaust, gas tank and tweaking a couple oil leaks and I'm in business. But that's just the bare minimum. I don't do bare minimum. The front control arms, front brakes, rear control arms and axle bushings all need to be replaced IMO. SFCs need to be installed and a couple other minor things before I can be happy. The strut tower is a concern, but it's a long way away from being a problem.

Maybe I'm coming down with cabin fever... I just need an above freezing weekend to drag this thing to cougarman's place and finish it up.

/rant

Dont sell if you do anything put it up like i did. I still catch myself wanting to drive the 87 again and kind of regretting buying the 99.

Diary of a TC...

Reply #14
Quote from: Tbird232ci;130936
What tailpipe is that? The one i have fits like ass and is one piece.

Stinger just got his 3" tail pipes available....