Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 cougar xr7 4 sale mint condition 56k miles in michigan (Read 2396 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 cougar xr7 4 sale mint condition 56k miles in michigan

i may sell my cougar i bought this car for investment purposes, its the nicest fox body ive ever seen, stored for the last 14 yrs one owner 4900, the serious only need reply, i have as many pictures as you want, white body with red interior floor shift full gauges, 16 spoke wheels, the valuse of this car will only go up, not interested in trades thanks, all replies to pchickenleg@aol.com thanks

Reply #1
Quote from: tbirdkid1987;118050
i may sell my cougar i bought this car for investment purposes, its the nicest fox body ive ever seen, stored for the last 14 yrs one owner 4900, the serious only need reply, i have as many pictures as you want, white body with red interior floor shift full gauges, 16 spoke wheels, the valuse of this car will only go up, not interested in trades thanks, all replies to pchickenleg@aol.com thanks

When I talked to you you said you had no idea what the history was on the car, and you got it off the street. 

A VIN check shows it has been titled 3 times in TX and two in MI

The car's worth about $2200.

Reply #2
Well the truth is i know alot of things and the 2 thounsand and some change you are offering just wouldnt cut it, you didnt even make an offer on ebay if i remember right so how do i know you own any money, you had you chance to bid there and you didnt bid, the car is clean and true miles, id be glad to answer anyones questions who are serious in buying, not the usual tire kickers, we get those everywhere on the internet, i rate this car a 9 on the 10 scale and have the pictures and papers to prove it.

Reply #3
tbirdkid1987, your points would be more clearly and effectively communicated if you did not use a single, run-on sentence.  Proper grammar would be helpful too.

Let us know what you get for it.
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

Reply #4
i aplogize for the bad grammar.  This guy when i had my car listed on ebay asked me every question under the sun, i told him to just call me.  I never heard another word from the guy till i listed it here.  If he was interested he would have made a good effort to get a hold of me if he was interested.  Sounds to me he was just interested in flaming me with a low ball offer.  I could get 20 people with kind of money all day every day, ive turned down more than what he offered locally.  the spring is coming and tax money is out there so im not worried at all.  I let you know what happened. here the bay listing if anyone is interested in checking it out.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260053585398&rd=1,1

Reply #5
Quote from: tbirdkid1987;121238
i aplogize for the bad grammar.  This guy when i had my car listed on ebay asked me every question under the sun, i told him to just call me.  I never heard another word from the guy till i listed it here.  If he was interested he would have made a good effort to get a hold of me if he was interested.  Sounds to me he was just interested in flaming me with a low ball offer.  I could get 20 people with kind of money all day every day, ive turned down more than what he offered locally.  the spring is coming and tax money is out there so im not worried at all.  I let you know what happened. here the bay listing if anyone is interested in checking it out.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260053585398&rd=1,1

1. Why call with questions when your response to the questions I had was, "dont know much about it i bought it off the street, the guy told me it had been in storage for a # of years"

2. I never made an offer because I know we would never get close in price (which you confirmed).  Just helping you what it's probably worth. 

3. Offering you market value (if I did offer you $2200) isn't flaming wih a low ball price.

There was a Red XR-7 in NY with 24K miles listed at $3250 and one in Portland with 70K miles listed at $2000, both within the last month.  And one in Detroit, identical to yours in every way with 70K miles that didn't sell at $2200.

If you get your asking price, I would be happy for you.  Good luck.

Reply #6
Is it 8 out of 10 or 9 out of 10? Becasue your Ebay ad said 8 now you are saying 9 did you fix somethings on the car since then?

yes i did

Reply #7
i fixed a few flaws that would make the car better, that i didnt like on the car, if the other cars are so much better elsewhere and so much cheaper why didnt you buy them since there such a great deal? and so much better than mine? If the deal is so much better then go buy theres, im not hard up and dont need your money.  If someone is serious about not wanting a basket case or wanting to take for ever to restore a car, this car could be for you. The people i deal with deal in cash you didnt even make one bid of any interest, so why would i waste my time telling you any thing anyway you live in texas or something if remember, i guess it must be to expensive for you to make a phone call then, if you were truely interested.  i highly doubt it that ill sell for 2 grand fat chance you can get some of those rusted out projects full of nice bondo, and all the hype.  The car for sale if you got cash we can deal, talk is very cheap, and the internet is full of cheap talk i can get any where.  I look at it this way tax refunds are coming up and so are the cruises and car shows, i have nothing but time to wait, im not worried at all.

Reply #8
I see that the ebay auction ended.  Did the car sell?
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

nope

Reply #9
i had about 25 watchers besides mr xjeffs the expert on theses cars and an offer than was about a low ball offer like the experts offer here, i decided to try elsewhere, like this board and a few others, i'll be pushing its sale in the spring if nothing else.

Reply #10
i had about 25 watchers besides mr xjeffs the expert on theses cars and an offer than was about a low ball offer like the experts offer here

You know, don't take this personally, Skip, but your pricing is highly subjective. When a majority of these cars with similar features and mileage sell within a given price range, but yours is priced more, do you not expect to get questioned about it? There are many people here that constantly watch eBay, check online price guides, and browse car-related sites to keep an eye on pricing (I'd know, I'm one of them). For the most part, pricing is self-regulating...in other words, people tend to sell within a common, accepted range. Too high or low out of that range, and you can expect some questions. That's all I'm saying. If you indeed get that price, more power to you. But don't expect to gain a huge profit here...you will get called to the carpet and the consequences will be something you'll have to deal with.

For the record...a few of us have been dealing with these cars for over 20 years. We'll keep our own counsel on who's the "expert" and who's not.

Reply #11
I dont think anyone will ever find one better than this. Lets be honest.  id consider it for 3500 cash. 

so did anyone notice the Tac?  Whats up with that 300 rpm anyway, i notice the charge guage is mid range so ill assume the car is running,,explain the rpm's , is there a defect since the upgraded whatever to the dizzy?

Reply #12
i wonder what happened to justify an exempt od reading in the [COLOR="red"]red[/COLOR] areas below.  For some odd reason, the od reading is missing from that point forward.  There have been "corrections" or "updates" to the content of the title which connects to the time in which the od reading becomes blank. (what part was corrected or changed is a matter of a simple phone call to the dmv.
it makes me wonder why someone would have a lean on a car like this and not use it back when it was not a collector,, furthermore, why would they only have put on so few of miles from 1992 to 1998? when subsequently there happens to be and odometer exemption note.

This car is on its [COLOR="Red"]6th title [/COLOR]since 1992 alone (not to mention the [COLOR="red"]2 additional [/COLOR]ones prior.  Its odd how a car could have 6 different titles and travel from TX to MI and not get used much during the years 1992 up to 2007 acspoogeulating only 6713 miles in 15years.  The car had three leans on it during these 15 years, its odd someone would [COLOR="Blue"]borrow money on a used [/COLOR]car they just bought (which at the time these were "no big deal" cars) and not have to use the car to get to work to pay off the lean.

its just odd, but the condition of the car supports the od,, i think.

Now let me pick on (arfax for a moment,,,
here is what they claim at the top of the home page
"""GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. """

but then at the bottom of the home page you read
"""CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX® """

NO PROBLEMS FOUND ON (ARFAX

1988 MERCURY COUGAR XR7
1MEBM62F0JH607020
SEDAN 2 DR.
5.0L V8 FI / REAR WHEEL DRIVE

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

09/15/1987      NICB    Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer

12/15/1987    22    Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #17952219    Title or registration issued
First owner reported

12/19/1988    13,205    Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #21532170    Title or registration issued

01/30/[COLOR="red"]1992 [/COLOR]  49,621    Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #33766394    Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported 

08/19/[COLOR="red"]1998 [/COLOR]      Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #09130336015100312    Registration issued or renewed
Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported
[COLOR="Red"]Exempt from odometer reporting[/COLOR]
Passed safety inspection

10/19/2000      Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #09100236821132628    Title issued or updated
Correction to record
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection

03/10/2005      Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Gainesville, TX
Title #04900038409152837    Title issued or updated
New owner reported

04/04/2006      Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Luna Pier, MI
Title #115T0940208    Title or registration issued
New owner reported 

11/13/2006      Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Trenton, MI
Title #110T[COLOR="Red"]xxxxxxx[/COLOR]  Title issued or updated
New owner reported

Reply #13
Quote from: jcassity;122211
i wonder what happened to justify an exempt od reading in the [COLOR="red"]red[/COLOR] areas below.  For some odd reason, the od reading is missing from that point forward.  There have been "corrections" or "updates" to the content of the title which connects to the time in which the od reading becomes blank. (what part was corrected or changed is a matter of a simple phone call to the dmv.
it makes me wonder why someone would have a lean on a car like this and not use it back when it was not a collector,, furthermore, why would they only have put on so few of miles from 1992 to 1998? when subsequently there happens to be and odometer exemption note.

This car is on its [COLOR="Red"]6th title [/COLOR]since 1992 alone (not to mention the [COLOR="red"]2 additional [/COLOR]ones prior.  Its odd how a car could have 6 different titles and travel from TX to MI and not get used much during the years 1992 up to 2007 acspoogeulating only 6713 miles in 15years.  The car had three leans on it during these 15 years, its odd someone would [COLOR="Blue"]borrow money on a used [/COLOR]car they just bought (which at the time these were "no big deal" cars) and not have to use the car to get to work to pay off the lean.

its just odd, but the condition of the car supports the od,, i think.

Now let me pick on (arfax for a moment,,,
here is what they claim at the top of the home page
"""GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. """

but then at the bottom of the home page you read
"""CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX® """

NO PROBLEMS FOUND ON (ARFAX

1988 MERCURY COUGAR XR7
1MEBM62F0JH607020
SEDAN 2 DR.
5.0L V8 FI / REAR WHEEL DRIVE

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

09/15/1987      NICB    Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer

12/15/1987    22    Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #17952219    Title or registration issued
First owner reported

12/19/1988    13,205    Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #21532170    Title or registration issued

01/30/[COLOR="red"]1992 [/COLOR]  49,621    Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #33766394    Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported 

08/19/[COLOR="red"]1998 [/COLOR]      Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #09130336015100312    Registration issued or renewed
Loan or lien reported
[COLOR="Red"]Exempt from odometer reporting[/COLOR]
Passed safety inspection

10/19/2000      Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Collinsville, TX
Title #09100236821132628    Title issued or updated
Correction to record
Loan or lien reported
Passed safety inspection

03/10/2005      Texas
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Gainesville, TX
Title #04900038409152837    Title issued or updated
New owner reported

04/04/2006      Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Luna Pier, MI
Title #115T0940208    Title or registration issued
New owner reported 

11/13/2006      Michigan
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Trenton, MI
Title #110T[COLOR="Red"]xxxxxxx[/COLOR]  Title issued or updated
New owner reported

Odometer exempt means that after ten years, the owner is not required to report the mileage.

The thing that bugs me is that he called it a one owner car in his original post.

i may sell my cougar i bought this car for investment purposes, its the nicest fox body ive ever seen, stored for the last 14 yrs one owner 4900, the serious only need reply,

let me clear the air

Reply #14
its a one family owned car, as far as i know and me and my brother, are the recent owners from michigan, the car has been in storage for many years,at the time of purchase, i didnt make at a point to give the original owner a retal exam while i was there, got the car thinking i was going to keep it for a long time, but there something else i wanted more than this car, and times do change, i went through everything and replaced hoses belts and what nots i felt needed changing, the car drives very nice and everything works, i have no idea what leans your talking about and honestly car fax is mostly useless about finding all the histories of a vehicle is just a guide, i bought it for investment purposes, and probably plan i selling in the spring, make all the negitive comments you wish to make it will sell one way or another, if your interested bring your cash not your negitive comments, if your interested and have money not food stamps, you can contact me direct at pchickenleg@aol.com