Skip to main content
Topic: The last NEW Official Model Car Thread! (Read 16859 times) previous topic - next topic

The last NEW Official Model Car Thread!

Reply #15
It's . If you want a good airbrush, get a Paasche dual-action and a portable tankless air compressor (like for blowing up tires). That's the setup I'm using and it ROCKS. Keeps the pressure nice and even and the airbrush works really well.

Reply #16
I build a lot.I can build 3 a year if I work really hard at it.I like to hinge the doors and trunk,build doorjambs,poseable steering,full wiring and hoses,seat belts and photo-etched parts.I enter a few contests each year,and have had a couple of my cars in the Scale Auto magazine and ModelCar magazine.I love the challenge I guess.If I could post a pic,I would.I can e-mail pics,but for some reason,posting never works for me.Will anyone let me e-mail some pics to post for me???
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #17
Sure thing, hit me with them.

Reply #18
I usually have to drive an hour to Greeley (Don's Hobbies) or Ft. Collins (Hobbytown USA) to get a good selection of models.  If I dont feel like driving or I want to stock up on a few to last me for a while I order them from towerhobbies.com.  They have a really good selection and they occasionally have a few rare ones like that Jäger BMW 320i that I have. :D

Reply #19
I have about 60 or 70 kits in the garage.I sell them on E-bay a lot.It usually takes me about 4 or 5 kits to build one the way I want it.I have a Hobby Lobby near here,and they always have either a 50% off sale,or 40% off coupons to download.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #20
Quote from: vinnietbird;108749
I have about 60 or 70 kits in the garage.I sell them on E-bay a lot.It usually takes me about 4 or 5 kits to build one the way I want it.I have a Hobby Lobby near here,and they always have either a 50% off sale,or 40% off coupons to download.

Must be nice to have a Hobby Lobby that doesnt suck.  The one here in town never seems to have anything except the snap-together cars.  :beatyoass:  I still stop by every now and then thinking I could get lucky, but that is kind of like going to a monastery hoping to get lucky. :dunce:

Reply #21
I've got another one in the making but I want to keep it "top secret"  till its done ;)  all I can say about it is its not a mustang and its faster than a TC!

Reply #22
Are you building a kit of my T-Bird?LOL.

Reply #24
I sent them to Fila,he's going to post them for me.

Reply #25
I'll have them up by 3 today.

Reply #26
A question about models: Are all 1/24 scale models equal? The scale, I mean - how accurate is it? I ask because I'd like to get another of those monogram Turbo Coupes and a first gen Lightning to build a model of my car (the TC for the body, since mine has TC interior and will have the hood, front clip and bumper when I get around to installing it, and the Lightning for the 351W). I know I don't have to worry about such silly things as making it run (as would be the case with the real swap) but I'd like the scale to be accurate. I'd also like to make the lights functional with LED's (including a miniature sequencer :D) I would also like to make mini CHE tubular control arms out of the plastic ss the model pieces are stuck to, but that ain't as important as the engine and lights...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #27
I'm working on one of the T-Bird kits now as a replica of my car.I had to really search for parts.I found an AOD,5.0,heavily modified upper intake to represent my Explorer unit,and I spent HOURS turning the TC nose into a standard nose with the grille.That was no easy c.I found the turbine rims,but have since swapped to TC wheels (polished),so thekit pieces are right on the money (with a little detailing and valve stems).I filled the scoops on the hood since i want the kit to be accurate.It should be finished in about 3 months.

Reply #28
Well, kinda. 1/24 and 1/25 models are about 99% interchangable. Where you start to hit a brick wall is with older and/or lesser quality, (AMT!!!). Anything AMT that says 1/25 on the box, just walk away, hell pretty much ANY AMT since 2000 just walk away. They haven't released a "new" kit in 6 years, just re-hashes of their old (and worst) ones. All Revel-Monograms are REALLY nice. Just in the last year they've released a C6 Corvette, Z06 C6, C6R, 06 Mustang, 06 Viper SRT10, Viper SRT10 Coupe, Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari F430, Ferrari 599 GT, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, 65 Shelby GT350R, Shelby Cobra, ALL NEW, and all very, VERY nice models. Polar Lights are good, Lindberg's and Taimya's are awesome. Pretty much, as long as it's NOT an AMT, you can't go wrong. For your specific case, the Revell TC kit is a very good kit and the Revell-Monogram 99 Lightning kit rocks. The problem being it's a 99, so no 351. Don't worry, the Saleen S351 Speedster as a supercharged (centrifugal) 351, the 93 Cobra has a great 302 Cobra, and they did make a Gen 1 Lightning kit, be prepared to eBay some $$$ for that one though.

And now for a fox lesson, PAY ATTENTION EVERYBODY!!!

There were exactly 6 different fox TBird models and they are:

stock 1987-88 TBird Turbo Coupe
NHRA Pro-Stock 83-86 TBird (base model)
NHRA Pro-Stock 87-88 TBird (Turbo Coupe)
NASCAR 83-86 TBird (base model)
NASCAR 87-88 TBird (base model)
Pro Street 87-88 Turbo Coupe

And finally the other non-Mustang foxes:
84 Carpi RS Turbo
85 Lincoln Mark VII
85 Lincoln Mark VII Pro Street
84 SVO Mustang
86 SVO Mustang

Now that means, there are NO fox Cougar models at all. There are NO stock or TC style 83-86 Birds. There are NO non-TC 87-88's. Now, what can be scratchbuilt? It's "fairly" easy to take a 83-86 Pro Stock body and a 87-88 TC kit and make a 85-86 TC. There's a LOT of scratchbuilding involved and nobody makes aftermarket 10-holes anymore (and NO, no kit came with them). It's "fairly" easy to make a base/LX/Sport Bird out of the TC model using a 87-93 Mustang kit and a lot of patience and putty. Again, NO 10-holes. Yes, I have ALL of these kits and will post pics if requested. The Pro Stock and Pro Street kits fetch BIG $$$ and the NASCARS barely look like TBirds. Hope that answers everybodies questions.

Reply #29