Skip to main content
Topic: electric fans??? (Read 2732 times) previous topic - next topic

electric fans???

i will be hooking up an engine soon and i was wondering if an electric fan is worth puttin on a 88 t bird.  Do they really help as much??? Are they worth it??? let me know
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #1
That really depends on who you talk to. I have dual electric hyden fans on my 84 T/c. They work pretty good. I also have there fully adjustable controller. But the T/c's came with electric fans.  But recently I was thinking about replacing the engine dirven fans on my 94 jeep. Did some searching and it seems that most of the engine driven fans seem to do better. Because the electric fans are right on the raidator they block some of the rad instead of coolinng it. At high speeds they are more of a drag on the air going thur the rad. Making the amount of air goning thur there less. But at the same time the electric fans seem to be less of a drag on the motor especially if you get a very efficient fans. But like I said depends on who you talk to.  just my .02 cents
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

electric fans???

Reply #2
Once on an episode of Muscle Car when they were setting up they're El Camino they equiped it with an electric fan and explained that it frees between 10-15 horsepower I believe they said.  Was the major motivation for my Taurus fan swap.  Also I think it was Fordmuscle that did that to their Mustang and claimed 1-2 miles per gallon more in fuel economy.  As for the fan intself causing drag....well consider the Taurus fan atleast doesn't cover all the radiator and remember you're removing the factory shroud as well so that's also part of the equation.  It's one of those things that may have advantages and disadvantages.  On the downside, an electric fan will draw way more power but then again it's only on some of the time.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

electric fans???

Reply #3
o0 thanks for the info.. do u think its smart to use an electric fan on a car that will used as a daily driver and a street racer or no? this was the fan i was considering http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRO%2D67015&N=700+115&autoview=sku
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #4
I'd stay away from that fan and get a factory fan with a good fan controller. The reason I say that is the factory fans are better quality, and motor replacements are found easy at any parts store. Have fun waiting for a new fan motor for a aftermarket fan such as a proform
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

electric fans???

Reply #5
On the Ford Muscle forum,they have a tech article using a Taurus fan.They put it on a supercharged 5.0,tested it in over 100 degree heat and under different cirspoogestances and it never let them down.I bought one a while back and decided I'm staying stock for now.my car is staying cool,and it's been over 100 every day for a month,so,I think I'll leave it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

electric fans???

Reply #6
I like how it opens the front up,But you can pull more air with a after market fan+clutch, than stock which I got and no problems.
But I think it's still a matter of choice.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

electric fans???

Reply #7
Personally I'd stay away from the aftermarket fan unless you've looked into its history a bit.  I've heard they can be questionable as far as quality and effectiveness.  On that Mustang I mentioned before they drove the car to the track and made passes for a while and they said the temp gauge never climbed above the halfway mark.  With the controller mine has, it's supposed to come on at 185 deg and go off at 165.  On a hot day stuck in traffic I'd say it comes on for about 1 minute out of every 3 or 4.  Definately safe.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

electric fans???

Reply #8
can u show me were i can purchase one??? any site or anything??
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #9
Hmm.  Guess there aren't many salvage yards in Queens?  Here's one on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.ca/17-3-8L-Taurus-ELECTRIC-FAN-Mustang-4000CFM-Jeep-5-0_W0QQitemZ190023813708QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33600QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem .  Beyond that you could certainly obtain one from your Ford dealership or probably any auto parts store, although they may sell knock-offs.  I wouldn't expect a new one to be cheap but a used one should work just as well.

electric fans???

Reply #10
Hmm..well Rockauto.com has one for $123 but it looks like a 3rd party manufacturer.  I'd still go with the used one but it's up to you.  Keep in mind if you go with the Taurus fan or really any decent aftermarket fan, your stock charging system may not be up to it.  Just so you know.

electric fans???

Reply #11
yea i dunt know of any around here. I live near teh city thats why. So that fan is the exact one u have??  really performs well?
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #12
what do you mean my stock charging system. mind me im only 18 i dont know that much about the fan stuff.
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #13
If you have the 5.0,do the 3G alternator upgrade.It's easy,it's very functional,and once you're done,you'll be able to power anything on your car,electric fan,stereo,lights,fog lights,etc....all at the same time easily.You'll ask yourself why you didn't do it earlier.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..