Skip to main content
Topic: electric fans??? (Read 2730 times) previous topic - next topic

electric fans???

Reply #16
wats he differemce between one wire capable?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]5.0 Standard
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
Magnaflow mustang exhaust
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #17
Lol.  You could spend the $300 on one of those, they are indeed 3Gs, professionally manufactured ones.  But Ford used the 3G in many different cars, some of them are like 90 and 100 amps but we're all after the 130 Amp version that can easily be found in 90's 3.8 Taurus's along with like F-150s and Mustangs and whatever....if you had access to a Pick'npull you could have one for 15 bucks, you could always look on ebay.  Incidently I'm involved in another thread here: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=9925 That guy wants to swap in a 3G as well.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

electric fans???

Reply #18
I bought those Hayden brand fans they sell at work. They were only like $40 walk the door. then the controller was like another $40. Full adjustable. This is my 84 turbo coupe twin 12" fans. 4banger water cooled turbo runnin 15psi boost. Factory replacment style 3 core rad. I also have the 3g 130 amp alt upgrade. It is the one from a 94 sANG 5.O. This is my everyday car. I work at a parts store chain so you can imagine I'm not to nice to it. 4 grand clutch dump almost every night at the end of the shift. Gotta burn them tires everyone does. Any how I've had this setup with the fans for 3yrs now and never a problem. So do what you want. The 3g alt was like $200 plus like $10 for the factory replacement plug the 4ga wire and the fuse, and the solder in 4ga copper lugs. I got heat shink also.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

electric fans???

Reply #20
LOL, I lucked out when I bought that '94 taurus last year, it had a bad 3.8 in it...but the trans was good, and i've got the the 3G in my storage, ready to go on my next Tbird (or Cougar)
Takin' my time lookin' for the "right one"...but it isnt gonna be something I jump in very soon..
Anyway, I had mine checked out, it is indeed a 130 amp alt, and it is good...and no, I'm no sellin' it! :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

electric fans???

Reply #21
Yes,that's a good alternator.It seems to have everything you need in that kit.I started from scratch with a Taurus alternator and went to Lowe's for the rest.It took about an hour to do the swap.You'll need to notch the alternator bracket a little bit.I used my Dremmel tool with a cutoff disc.I took mine apart after a couple of months running it and polished it.It looks sweet polished.Good luck with the upgrade.You'll be glad you did it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

electric fans???

Reply #22
thank you so much for the help :)
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #23
wat exactly do you have to dremmel out on teh bracket?? have a pic?
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #24
Bear in mind, Vinnie has an 88 Tbird.  What year do you have?  I ask because I'm pretty sure the brackets changed over the years and the procedure may consequently be different.  Maybe you can post a picture of your engine bay.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

electric fans???

Reply #25
well its a 88 t bird. umm i wanna post one but camera was takin by my bro on vacation.
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs

electric fans???

Reply #26
If you do a "dry run" install,just to mock things up,you'll see that the lower inboard edge of the alternator will hit the bracket,if your bracket is like mine (one piece unit for the alternator and smog pump).I took about a 1/2 inch by 2 inch slice out of the little lip and the alternator fit great.I just scored an "as new as a used alternator can be" 3G yesterday for $3.00 at the metal syard.It'll be my back up.It looks like it's fresh out of the box.A new one is nearly $200.00,so,I thought "just in case".
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

electric fans???

Reply #28

Thats the setup im running. Well worth it.
It's Gumby's fault.

electric fans???

Reply #29
thx for the info  and tbird232ciwere did u get that etal shroud with the fan looks very nice n sleek
REBUILT MUSTANG AOD
BBK shorties
mark vii h pipe
BBK intake
KYB shocks , struts
moog springs