Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34772 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #90
I've got the front sway bar off an 86tc, think it'll bolt in?? maybe i'll give it a good eyen-up after work tomorrow.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #91
Looking at the sway bar and rechecking end links, I can use the later bracketry and end-links.  The 33mm 5.0 bar won't fit in the existing brackets (at least with the poly bushings I have).  I just need a new set of end-links and it will work.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #92
Nice work Chuck, I used to own a 81 XR7.  I liked the angles, except for the rear view (massive taillights).

Mike
Mike

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #93
Chuck,

That car is hideous.  I love it!  Hope you plan to ditch the red vinyl top, those are what made those cars so darn ugly.  ;)

Of course I love the wheels, I've yet to find anything that I didn't like them on.  Here's my '80 SVO Mustang on a set of them.  So why are you trying to run Corvette rotors?  They have the 5x4.75" bolt pattern of other GM cars.  Why not just run 13" SN95 Cobra brakes?  They're pretty easy to find.

I'm glad to see you're one of those "get it in gear and do something" types.  I can't stand people that let their projects lie dormant.  But my '57 Plymouth has been doing that lately!  And FYI - I think your Cougar was even rustier than my old wagon, lol.  Here's a pic of that heap, it is running a 289 Ford.

Just FYI - my local Pep Boys has a big selection of end links and polyurethane bushings right on the shelves - all in 1/8" increments to make sure you get the right length.  Just measure from your control arm mounting point to a point where your sway bar is mounted level and use that length.  Good luck man!  Keep up the good work.
1984 Thunderbird V8

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #94
I'm not worried about finding endlinks.  I just don't have any left from the days at Kenny Brown...so I just need to buy new. 
I'm just kind of dumping out errata for the couple folks that might be working on one of these.  The vinyl top may just stay in the end...just for that reason...it's ugly.  :hick:
Why the Vette stuff?  Because I can and folks think their Cobra calipers are gold plated.  I used the same calipers on the front of my Scorpio and I happened to get rears as well...so they will be adapted to the rear of that car when I get to it.  Bolt pattern is not an issue either....a die grinder to the holes fixes that.  I paid $90 for 4 calipers and brackets....
As far as the rust goes...you live in TX...I live in IN...do the math ;)

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #95
A couple more quick pics I was able to upload before the hamfist locks the server again...

Quick shot of the cleaned front suspension.

Side shot of the wheels installed.

Tomorrow if weather and time permits I'll start on getting the old dead booster out as well as the pedal assy. (going to go ahead and get the manual one in there at least for now).

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #96
Well I took the time to pull the windshield today, and if the weather holds I'll be blasting tomorrow.  Looks like it is all just surface stuff save for one small area that I'll have to weld a tiny patch into (1" square max). 

I did pull the booster the other day... it leaks and is pretty nasty.  The replacement is ready to install as is the manual pedal assy. 

No pics of the window area as my host is still got the server all screwed up and I can't upload anything.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #97
Well here's a few pics of the windshield area after I got the glass out.
The first pics are right after the glass was pulled and no clean-up had been done, so they look a little more nasty than they really are.

The driver side top.  You can see right at the corner where the couple of small holes are.  An easy fix.

The pass side...groady...but solid

Quick overall shot

And finally after hitting it with the sandblaster..

I'm pretty sure the reason the rust is as bad as it was is that it looks like the windshield has either been replaced or attempted to be resealed in the past....and they did a piss-poor job of it.  There was adhesive ALL the way in the channel around the window and most of it wasn't sticking to the car....so water was collecting underneath it. 

Someone had directed me to this RUST ENCAPSULATOR...and I think I'm going to give the silver stuff a go for this particular area as it is supposedly air tight.  I've used the "others" and have had decent luck, but I'll try this.  One more round with the blaster in a couple spots...a little patch panel and some grinding and cleaning then I'll seal it all up and have the windshield reinstalled.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #98
turbochuck.com be having hosting issues
1984 Thunderbird V8

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #99
Quote from: 46Tbird;110991
turbochuck.com be having hosting issues

Not any more ..at least for the time being....:beatyoass:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #100
I can't see the pics from post #98 either..
Not sure if it's my connection...I'm having problems with it anyway..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #101
i cant see em either.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #102
Bizzare....

I know some folks have problems some times....they are up though as are the rest....

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #103
i see em in 96, but not 98. dern.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #104
I dunno guys...they are in the same location as the others...