Skip to main content
Topic: The '80 XR-7... (Read 34769 times) previous topic - next topic

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #75
-is that a xr4ti or a scorpio in the pic behind it chuck?
whats up with it?
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #76
It's a Scorpio. 
Nothing fancy yet.  It's my other "daily".  I need to work on the rear suspension when the '80 is down off the blocks.
Small list of mods includes modified 17" tribars, 12" Vette front brakes, coil-over convsersion on the front and a couple other small things.  It suffered some hail damage and has a coupe cosmetic issues, so in the future, all the mods will be transfered to a nicer shell.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #77
-cool, a true "rare" car, more so than the xr4ti.  ive seen one around only recently.  first one ive seen in a couple a years......
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #78
Well I got my Vette calipers last night for the front.  I mocked them up on my SN-95 spindles and checked a few rotor offset measurements.  There is about a 15mm difference between the Cobras and the Vette stuff..with the Vette stuff being taller.  The 12" Vette rotors are thinner than the Cobras, so I can't go that route anyway as the Cobra rotors won't fit into the Vette calipers.

It looks like I'm going to need to use the 12" rear rotors for the fronts on this.  They are about 6mm shorter and coupled with a minor machining of the caliper mounting bracket face I should be able to squeeze these on there.  The front and rear rotors on the early C4 Vettes are the same diameter and thickness, so that's no issue.  I'm going to pick up a rotor soon to mock it up and then if all goes as intended I'll get the other. 

Gotta love it....an 80 Cougar XR-7 with 5-lug 17" wheels and 4 wheel disk brakes..... :hick:

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #79
Well all the 26 year old parts are finally off the front of the car.  The stuck bolt finally yielded to my will.  Now for a little clean-up, blasting and painting and then the "good" parts start going on :D

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #80
You wana do mine next?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #81
Quote from: tbirdscott;107896
You wana do mine next?

You gonna deliver it? ;)

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #82
Quote from: Chuck W;107905
You gonna deliver it? ;)

Whats the weather like in indiana this time of year? I could use a roadtrip :D

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #83
Quote from: tbirdscott;107908
Whats the weather like in indiana this time of year? I could use a roadtrip :D

Fall-like ;)  Ave highs in the 50-60*F range...

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #84
Quote from: Chuck W;107910
Fall-like ;)  Ave highs in the 50-60*F range...

... same chit as here.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #85
Ok, well I got some more work done today.  Yesterday I blasted and cleaned the front end like I did the back and got it all painted so I could get into assembly today.
The list if parts today included front control arms with poly bushings and SN-95 ball joints, C-kit springs, my CC plates (protos for the old KB ones), 00 GT struts, and swapped in a less py steering rack w/ poly bushings installed.
Since my web host doesn't know how to maintain a server (looking for new hosting...) I can't upload the couple pics I took, but here is one with the car on the ground and front wheels installed.
The next major undertaking is the brakes.  I need to get it all plumbed in, get pads, front rotors etc.  I'm debating swapping in a 83+ steering column to be able to use my "good" steering wheel.  I have a nice pre 83 wheel, but it's just not the same as the XR-7 sport wheel I have (like my TC one).  It won't be much to swap the column since I have to replace the pedal assy etc.  I may wait though as when I convert the car to manual, I'll need to get all the linkage off the column, so I may just swap then.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #86
very nice work chuck

so, whos the wolf? :D

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #87
those wheels look better than i had imagined. especially with the polished wheel/chrome trim combo.

lookin good :cool:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #88
This thing is going to have some meat on the ground.  They totally change the way the car looks.  It's going to be ugly for a while...especially once I start rounding up replacement body panels...but it will at least handle and stop good :)
It uses different sway bar chassis mounts than the 83-88 cars.  I need to recheck what's in the 83 and check the endlink length again.    Maybe I can used what I have and just get different endlinks...which I need anyway.

I'll have to pull the Recaros out when I start to drive it as they need refinished, but I have some decent seats to use. 

I also pulled the dipstick tube out to replace the o-ring to stop the leak.  Apparently the fluid fill level is above the o-ring ....oops....made a mess.

Of course the dog wouldn't stay out of the shot (I chased him off 3 times..).  He's my OLD (14+) mutt(shepherd/collie/chow/wolf).  His time is running out sorry to say.

The '80 XR-7...

Reply #89
FYI.. I put the sway bar and chassis mounts from an 88 XR-7 on mine. Fits perfect. I used the original end links for now but will replace them eventually .