Skip to main content
Topic: mustang computer? (Read 1861 times) previous topic - next topic

mustang computer?

do i have to get all new wires for it or can i use the onse on my 88 5.0 tbird?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

mustang computer?

Reply #1
You can use the old wire harness.  There are a few differences, the firing order is the only one I'm sure of.  Others will chime in with more info.

mustang computer?

Reply #2
the fireing order is a non issue if you are talking engine harness wires. if you are going with a speed density computer it should just plug right in. all this assuming you have done the HO conversion. if you use MAF than its a touch more difficult than that.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

mustang computer?

Reply #3
Are you keeping your car stock or doing a HO swap/conversion?

If you are keeping it stock, you will need a T-Bird or Cougar computer.

If you are doing the HO route, check out all the information here. Go to Advanced Info and the first 5 topics will answer all of your questions.;)

mustang computer?

Reply #4
thank you for all your help!
im doing trying to do a HO conversion, but there are soo many things in the cool cats web site, and i dont know what to go to.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

mustang computer?

Reply #5
You can do any HO parts you want to at any time besides two. The cam & computer must be changed together. Then change the firing order.

mustang computer?

Reply #6
alright, so i could put E7TE heads on, and a HO ported intake manifold, a 65mm tb, and headers on and it will be safe?

mustang computer?

Reply #7
That may be a bit much with the stock ecm and injectors,to much air not enough fuel.
Hell the 19lbers that used to be in my HO showed 80% duty cycle at 5000rpm and that was only with headers,exaust,k&n and pullies,now i see why the cobra stang had 24s.

mustang computer?

Reply #8
well, if i get 19's, dont i have to get a bigger fuel pump?

mustang computer?

Reply #9
well, if i get 19's, dont i have to get a bigger fuel pump?

mustang computer?

Reply #10
No stock will do but just barley.

mustang computer?

Reply #11
Does a Mustang GT fuel pump work in a Tbird/Cougar tank?
If so, I wonder if it would be feasible to use one?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

mustang computer?

Reply #12
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek
Does a Mustang GT fuel pump work in a Tbird/Cougar tank?
If so, I wonder if it would be feasible to use one?

Yup, but you'll need to make some shims(split in half fuel line), as the std Birds generally used the large Bosch pump . The TCs actually use the same Walbro pump as the Stangs, with a thick insulator to mount it in the hanger...

I've have a 190lph Walbro in my Bird for 5+ years now.

mustang computer?

Reply #13
turbocoupe50, did you get your fuel pump out of a mustang?
i didnt find how to excatly install a walbro fuel pump in coolcats. is their any modifications you have to make to put the fuel pump in? and will the stock computer work with the walbro fuel pump?

mustang computer?

Reply #14
I bought the pump new. Walbro made every stock Stang and TC pump I've seen and its hard to beat OEM quality. I had a Carter 110lph die in just over a year, never buy another. A 190lph is over double the stock Stang unit(88lph) and more than triple the 60lph Bird unit. No problem getting it to fit, but as stated you'll need to shim it, as the Bosch pump is actually larger than the Walbro unit.

The computer could care less about what pump is in the tank. All it does is energize the F/P relay.