Skip to main content
Topic: how much does your AOD take? (Read 3530 times) previous topic - next topic

how much does your AOD take?

I had my trans build with 4r70w parts redline cluches ect....it was said to hold up to 13 9 sec passes @ 750 hp without any wear. (built by a well known builder around here) 
my problem comes in this last friday, We were getting ready to go down town for our local cruise night, I FINALLY got my car running good, it was getting enough fuel and running strong, I put new suspention on it KYB adjustables all around, drag springs up front, air bags in the back...finally getting some traction, so we went on the longest test drive yet this year...like 10 miles...put the pedal to the floor 1st..2nd...3rd jumped and hit the rev limiter:mad:  and that was it.  The trans held up last year but we never had any traction, no doubt its got more power this year too.. the car has never seen a track.. its always broken. And the trans probly has maybe 1000 miles of just driveing on it, we only had one serious race last year and we blew the trans pump.(and won by the way)

Well Ive been trying to do some research on the AODs but it just confuseing me more, MU says a stock AODs good to 450 hp...- FB performance says 250 hp..- and lentechs street cruser trans is only good for 300 hp...? I found one trany built like mine at transmissioncenter.org that say its good to 750hp too. Thats quite a range! So anyone know a real number? What do you put your AOD through? How much can the output shaft handle? I havent had time to get the trans out to see what happend yet. The back of the dipstick has black swirls in it...that cant be good. What might have happend? I dont know a whole lot about transmissions, could it be a valve body problem? some people were suggesting the torque convertor..

Right now Im not sure what to do with my trany, I was thinking to get it fixed and put in a Lentech automatics valve body in it for $500, that SHOULD make it good to 800 hp...or just buy a Lentech trany good to 1000hp but Id need a non lockin torque convertor and that gets pricey. but if I keep having to fix mine then it might be worth it..
Not having 3rd gear didnt stop us form taking the car out for a little while... we went out long enough to pick a race with a camaro ss and WON! He was pretty suprised to here the car had no 3rd gear...:giggle: but saturday night it was killing us watching all of the midnight highway racing...

Help me please! Thanx!

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #1
I'd go back to your trany guy he must of messed something up. You’re talking a lot of HP so the trany has to be perfect or it will blow right away. A friend of mines father has a pro-mod and he’s pushing 3000HP hooked up to a super worked PowerGlide trany. Car drove up and around pits no problem, but 1st run he cooked it. He brought it back to the trany guy and he found out he was missing a clutch (I think there’s 9 clutch in there). Point of the story is they probably did something wrong so go back.

Reply #2
You should go with a single input shaft that uses the C6 spline. The 4R70W sprag and Planeterty. It  needs a 1 way dioad that is from the 4R70W and a GOOD valve body.(Lentech,Art Carr).
  My car puts around 500Rear Wheel HP down and my trans has 150 1/4 passes or so on it. Some with N2O and some with a turbo.
  Hope this helps

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #3
Other than a Transgo shift kit my AOD is stock and is behind a 302 with Trick flow heads,cam and intake.  8 years and 55K miles are on it and she still barks the 1-2 shift all the time and on occasion the 2-3 shift when the weather is right for good traction.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
If it has just 1st & 2nd, you may have broken the inner shaft that splines into the front hub of the converter(assuming you don't have one of the hardened variety)... It happened to me the first time I took mine to the track and that was with street tires. Although getting tired mine is still living almost seven years after I bought it used and installed a Trans Go kit.. I have made passes with a 150hp shot of nitrous approx 500hp total and didn't kill it, but I was lucky. 

As far as HP ratings they are just that.. As long as you have the two piece input figure 350-400 as a safe limit with the hardened inner...

Reply #5
Lentech does make a Strip Terminator with lock up now...and just replacing the valvebody won't make your trans capable of holding 800hp...lol.  The strip terminator with lock up is nice(if you have the $3500) because it runs 1-2-3 off the main shaft and only uses the little inner shaft(which is hardened in their application) for OD instead of 3rd and OD...even still they limit their OD capacity to 550hp.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #6
5.8 fast cat: Im tring to keep cost down so I didnt want to swich to a non locking convertor, its already built with the 4r70w stuff but I havent heard of a one way dioad, Ill have to check on that and I pretty sure it just has a shift kit he wrote B&M stage 6 on it I think...cant remember. Is that how your trans is built?

TC50: 1st and 2nd are still hold'n up, but dont shift as hard as they did. I dont have a hardened imput shaft and havent had anybody around to help me get the trans down to see if thats the problem...Im not thinking that it is since the fluid is messed up....Are you saying your trans is STOCK! If you are Im headed to the s yard!:giggle:

Slick88tbird: I dont imagine that just a valve body would, but my trans is or I thought it was "built to handle 750 hp" already. Ive also heard that if you need 4th gear on a drag strip you have a problem.;)  so OD excluded..

since no one around here with a mustang has ruined one of his trannys,  I have no doubt that he put my trans together keeping in mind that it was just going in a cougar.:mad:  I guess Ill have him try again and if it breaks again....its going thru his livingroom window!;)
altho...50 mustang magazine says lentech has a street terminator lockup trans for $2395 but I didnt see that on there site. I might just quit wasting money on mine and go with something I know will be good..

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #7
The internals of your trans may be able to withstand 750hp...for a little while, but 3rd and OD are run off of the little tiny inner shaft, instead of the outter input shaft...that's probably why when you hit 3rd gear it just free-revved...probably snapped that shaft...what I'm saying is that you can still have OD and lock-up BUT only OD will be run off of that little puny inner input shaft with a Lentech...you can shift to 3rd confidently...and no, you shouldn't need OD on the strip unless you're running 4.88's...lol.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Everyone is correct.....

Reply #8
The AOD has the capability of withstanding a brutal ammount of horsepower, if you want to spend a brutal amount of money. A good AOD will need a 1 piece input shaft, with a coropsonding 1 piece input shaft compliant converter, if the input shaft broke your converter is most likely junk as well as most of the parts in your tranny, if you really have 750 hp you just found the weak link in your combination, the AOD only holds 400hp with a 2 piece input shaft period, and that is the small"pencil" shaft that all power from 3rd and 4th go through. After fragging 2 ultra expensive AOD's myself and realizing that I could buy a truckload of c-4's for that price I switched to the C-4. I am definately not saying switch to a C-4 but it is an option. Weigh your options cause A C-4 has no overdrive and those weekend trips net 10-12 MPG at 3300 RPM on the highway. Another cost effective alternative is a Tremec TKO, If you do not bracket race and you want to scare the  outta anyone in the passenger seat switch to a tremec. Hope I provided some food for thought.

Reply #9
i'd say turbocoupe5.0 is right, you probly broke that shaft.  whenever you bring in the transmission, talk to him and see if you can put in 4R75W internals.  i dont know how much different they are, but if the 03 Mach 1s and new F150s got it while the GT still had the 4R70W, then they should be stronger, im guessing.  i know they took out the 1-2 acspoogeulator and replaced it with a rubber ball in the valve body, thats the major difference, but for a 3V motor to be on it, its gotta have some more stregnth.

Reply #10
Lightningbird: I did consider a c-4 but from what I read they get pretty pricey too if you want them to handle any power. I have no idea how much HP the car has cuz its never running long enough to dyno it, what c-4 do you have and how much hp is it holding up too?

Reply #11
Trick Flow 347: I got my C-4 from TCI, it is the full race version w/ manual valve body and pan fill case. I just used a xmember from a T-5 mustang and it bolted right in, even the shifter can be modified to work. I think my total package was 1200 or so, that was with a converter, bellhousing, tranny, aftermarket dipstick and tube. I have no idea how much hp I am making but the car is down into the high 10's now, 10.94 @115, 1.51 60 foot times and the tranny still works has had no problems. It is supposed to handle 700 hp and has aftermarket planetary (which is the weak link in the C-4). I am sure that it will handle 100 more hp no problem. I cannot have more than 500 hp cause the 5.0 block will give up at 600. If I was to do it all over again I would go with the PA Performance C-4 cause it is about the same price and looks beefier. An added bonus is you will loose like 50 lbs off of the car cause the AOD is so much heavier.

Reply #12
Which ever trans you run, just make sure you have a LARGE trans cooler.
  If you decide to go with a Lentech buy it from a dealer in the USA or Customs will get you for even more money. My buddy ordered a shaft from them and the shipping and customs were like an extra $55 and that is on a small box.
  Good luck.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #13
I was looking a the PA Performance c4s...the super comp one!:giggle: overkill maybe... I guess thats why it was getting pricey for me! Can you tell Im getting paranoid or what!  The only reason I want a lentech is to have an automatic Im not afraid to break every time I take the car out. I really want to stay automatic..TCI rates there AOD @ 450hp too, why would the c4 hold up better? I wonder if my trans guy just screwed up...

I cant get my tranny out till sunday to see what happened to it.

Reply #14
lightningbird, did you need a new flywheel?