Skip to main content
Topic: Weird T-Bird Part (Read 3680 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #45
The ATC panel came right from the '85 TC at the boneyard. Took that one out myself. The other is an NOS part from an auction. I have good luck at finding parts for these cars. ;)

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #46
What you can do is some EVTM tracing to find out about that ATC panel. See how the pin out is for the ATC with A/C, and compair it to the one you have. The EEC harness has ungodly amount of wiring for the A/C system, so youll be able to tell a difference.
It's Gumby's fault.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #47
It seems like I saw that part (the door panel) somewhere not too long ago, and thought to myself "weird." But I don't remember where...

As for the Ford microfische listing for use up through '89......would they have included those '89 model Fox Cougars/T-Birds for the Mexican market?

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #48
I found two cars with these at the u pull it yard about 1 1/2 years ago when I was going through looking for a new steering colum. I found one in a 83-86 tbird and cougar.  They had about 50+ cats and birds.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #49
Only thing I can think of, is a Ford Employee Special Ordered kinda thing. That is wierd.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #50
Quote from: JeremyB
Did your non A/C '85 MVAC box have a spot for an evaporator?
I know there were dealer options for A/C and I'm curious as to how they went about putting the A/C in.

Dunno if it did or not. I'd never gotten far enough under the dash to find out...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #51
Quote from: EricCoolCats

Discuss. :)

It may seem strange to some of you with the other panels but that is the same panel that is in my car so I am used to it and I don't know any better. ;)

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #52
Quote from: EricCoolCats
Ben, I think what you have is a late 1988 panel. I recall discussing this before...I also have one of those panels laying around. Tom, I believe, mentioned something about his '88's and that panel.

Actially I believe most if not all '88s got that panel, The ones I've seen without the extra labeling were '87s.. Not being a fan of the auto temp, I avoid it like the plague...

In the States A/C was std on the Fox Birds, but it was a option on Canadian units... At least that applies to the '85 up models, never paid much attention to the '83-'84s..

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #53
I though A/C was standard in the USA:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #54
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
In the states AC was std on the Fox Birds, but it was a option on Canadian units... At least that applies to the '85 up models, never paid much attention to the '83-'84s..

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!:bowdown: :america:

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #55
Cool.  I found a stripper T-bird in the junkyard with nothing in front of the windshield.  No cruise, no A/C, no rear defrost.  Must have been canadian...but no defrost must be a royal pain.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #56
If it had no defrost it wasn't Canadian (or didn't have its original rear window). Rear defrost was standard equipment here. So was a block heater, starting in a certain year (of which I forget)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #57
Maybe mexican car, my car doesnt have rear defroster, but the dad´s 84 cougar had, i still have that rear window. And i dont have cruise control. I have the A/C (not working) but i´m sure it was an option...
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #58
There was an '83 Cougar at the park at CJ this year with no rear defrost.  Neither in the window nor in the dash.  It also was without A/C.  That was one bare-ass heater panel.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #59
Does anybody have pics of a rear window w/o the defrost stuff..?
I'd like to see one..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)