Skip to main content
Topic: Weird T-Bird Part (Read 3681 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #30
Sure... Whats in the next box Alex??

(Yea, I know...it's Eric, but for some reason, Alex just sounded like it fit better.) LOL
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #32
Okay, something about that unit looks different than mine.
I don't remember a "mix" button.
Isn't there supposed to be an A/C button on there somewhere?
I haven't looked at mine in so long..

Dangit, I have to wait until I get home to compare...

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #33
Here ya go:

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #34
Quote from: Bird351
Here ya go:

Thank you!! Wohoo, I knew it was different but I was starting to go crazy there for a minute.

So Eric, did that come out of a Cougar or T-Bird?
Or maybe a truck or van unit?

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #35
It's from a 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

So yeah...ATC with no air conditioning. Again, Ford engineers smoking pot. ;)

BTW...nice dash panels, Ben. Like the color.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #36
Heh.. thanks.. it's a product of my painting practice. That's my two-tone dash of pewter and gunmetal.

I was originally going to post this next pic along with the first one to show one other CC unit that the mystery unit wasn't, but I couldn't find it in time. By the time I found it, you had already replied.. but I feel like posting it anyway. :p

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #37
My interpretation of that is not "NO A/C". Why would there be an "economy" button, if there was no A/C??

Besides - it's AUTOMATIC. You shouldn't have to decide if you're getting A/C or not. The A/C should be on all the time, unless you press "OFF" or "Economy".

I think it's different than what we're used to, but not significant.

--Ed
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #38
Quote from: EricCoolCats
You sure it's listed for 1989? Because I don't think that panel was the same on the MN12 cars.

-yeah, i agree on that part of it too eric, but if the microfische says it you know ford cant be wrong...:giggle:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #39
I thought all Fox T-birds had A/C standard?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #40
Mine has AC but not climate control. Though it's currently cut out of the car thanks to the preivious owner. What years had this as on option?

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #41
Ben, I think what you have is a late 1988 panel. I recall discussing this before...I also have one of those panels laying around. Tom, I believe, mentioned something about his '88's and that panel.

Ed, I would tend to agree with you. I should rephrase that: "ATC with no air conditioning markings". However...there is no explicit perception that a/c exists on this panel. One certainly cannot tell by looking at it. It is, plain and simple, one of the strangest and counterintuitive heater panels I've ever seen in any vehicle. If it actually does have a/c built into it...bonus! The later panels were much more intuitive and easier to see at a glance. That's what makes this such an anomaly.

Where the harnesses plug in, in the back, the wafer board on this panel has an extra contact stripe. I noticed on all the other ATC panels in my collection that the stripe is missing on them. It does...something...

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #42
Quote from: thunderjet302
I thought all Fox T-birds had A/C standard?

Nope. My '85 didn't have A/C (or any other options except metallic paint and full size spare)

Eric: I know that memory seat panel wouldn't apply to an MN12 because the MN12 cars had their window switches in that space
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #43
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Nope. My '85 didn't have A/C)

Did your non A/C '85 MVAC box have a spot for an evaporator?
I know there were dealer options for A/C and I'm curious as to how they went about putting the A/C in.

Weird T-Bird Part

Reply #44
Mmm, i have both in my car,they are called "cougar high tech-useless  expensive edition) it includes a non-iluminated entry system and no rear seat........

Now , really, i´m amazed, those parts are odd ! where did you find those ? maybe those where for the south american market. Remember, here we have V6 four speed birds....
1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150