Skip to main content
Topic: Wheel Lock Removal (Read 3779 times) previous topic - next topic

Wheel Lock Removal

Ok here's the deal. I need some ideas on how to get these bad boys off. I got two of them off via socket and jb weld. Tried to repeat on the rears and it failed. Now I'm out of useless 3/4 drive sockets and jb weld... and ideas.

Hiizelp!
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #1
Cuttin tourh and Vice grips???
Heat till they expand the torque them off???

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #2
can we have a pic of your setup?  you might be able to use a chisel but you have already told me that you dont have one.  so......  have you tried beating a socket on there with some jb weld??

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #3
Quote from: 88turbo
can we have a pic of your setup? you might be able to use a chisel but you have already told me that you dont have one. so...... have you tried beating a socket on there with some jb weld??

I don't know why but the rear ones wouldn't hold with the jb weld like the front ones did. One socket was pretty big though... I may have to just go buy two more cheap 1" sockets and another pack of jb.

I can get pics.

Quote from: 84 Fila
Cuttin tourh and Vice grips???
 Heat till they expand the torque them off???

Got the Vise-Grips. No torch. :(

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #4
go get a chisel.....    thats about a sure fire way to get them off..  just chisel in the direction that you want the nut to turn.  we did this on my shop teachers 57 bel air

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #5
Any decent tire shop will have a kit to take them off.

I got mine off with an impact socket and a sledge hammer.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #6
Here's the two successful ones.

The failure

And the setup.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #7
I have a key for the ones on the Vic when it had them would it workd on yours?

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #8
It looks like it will work, I'll get pics of it for you if you want

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #9
Quote from: 84 Fila
It looks like it will work, I'll get pics of it for you if you want

Sweet! Please do. :D

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #11
I got to wait till tomorow, My freinds borrrowed my car. Is that cool? Try the chisel in the meantime.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #13
You gota use 12pt sockets to remove wheel locks... the 6pt dont provide enough traction.
One 88

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #14
The key may "look" like it's going to work, but most likely not....they all look the same at a glance.

Looks like your best bet might be to pick up a couple more cheap sockets and try again.  It might also help if you have a cut off wheel to cut a couple slots across the end of the lug to give the JB more to bite into.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon