Skip to main content
Topic: Wheel Lock Removal (Read 3778 times) previous topic - next topic

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #15
Yeah, Chuck sound right. I'lls till get the pictures to you though. Not like I have anythng better to do at 10:46 at night

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #16
I tell you to goto the parts store and buy the tool to do it. Performance tool makes them. I know they sell them at oreilly. They cost about $20. Thet are kinda like an eazy out buy made to work in wheel locks. If you goto oreilly they are on the tool isle in the middle about waist height , on the side with all the special tools.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #17
are they factory ford locks?  if so go to a ford dealer and barrow one of their keys.  they should have a kit with all of them.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #18
Quote from: Chuck W
The key may "look" like it's going to work, but most likely not....they all look the same at a glance.

Almost embarrassed by this one, I was tring to get some off with a key that was exactly the same... Would not fit... Then I remembered, it cannot be exact, must be a mirror image... DUUUHHHH..  There are at least 8-10 different patterns used on these cars, its pure luck if a "on hand" key fits..

My best home remedy is to use a air grinder and cutoff wheel to cut in a couple of flats, then just use Vice Grips... 

Worked for me...

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #19
Quote from: ipsd
I tell you to goto the parts store and buy the tool to do it. Performance tool makes them. I know they sell them at oreilly. They cost about $20. Thet are kinda like an eazy out buy made to work in wheel locks. If you goto oreilly they are on the tool isle in the middle about waist height , on the side with all the special tools.

i cant agree more its the only way iv done it and its easy.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #20
LOL  I feel your pain trying to get some off a friends car now who lost her key.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #21
What parts store did you get this tool from? I went to Autozone yesterday and I didn't see anything. I suppose I could of asked but I didn't feel like getting the blank stare. =|

I tell yah, next time I buy a car I'm doing a 101 point inspection. I was so concerned about looking for rust that I missed a bunch of little things wrong with this ride.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #22
The name of the store is Oreilly Auto parts. Not shure how close a store is to you. I think up north they still have the Bumper to bumper name. They bought them out last year and I know the warehouse in Minneapolis has the bumper to bumper name on the building.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #24
got mine off too. losta grinding plus socket plus BFH.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #25

Ok, so when I first drove off in this car I immediately realized that the brakes weren't so hot. Ok, non-existent. My fault for not test driving. I was pretty pissed at myself about it seeing as I had several relays at home. But I had mostly highway driving to do so no biggie as long as no one slams on their brakes. But there was this noise that concerned me. The grinding noise that seems to be coming from the driver's side rear wheel. I thought it might be the rear end but since I had another one at home I didn't care.

Fast forward. A few days later I get to work on fixing the brakes. Put a new relay and harness in. Pump still doesn't work. I tested it, works fine. What's the deal? I put some brake fluid in and it seems like it can't get enough. Ended up putting in nearly two bottles before it had it's fill. Turn the key to on, the pump works! w00tage! I win. Step on the brake pedal, no more rock solid pedal. Press it again and it goes to the floor (while simutaneously hearing fluid spill unto the ground). Look under the car and there's a puddle under the rear driver's tire. WTF? I figure a line is loose so I pop the cover off the wheel to have a looksee and there it is... my nemesis... the wheel lock. I look all over the car for that  key to no avail, ask the previous owner and he has no clue. it.

Fast Forward. JB Weld sockets to all four locks and the two front ones come off while the rear ones hold on strong. . I think who ever did the brakes put those beotches on extra snug. Even the regular lug nuts were a pain to get off. So I get the fronts converted to five lug, but all the while I'm really wanting that cursed driver's rear wheel off. And the front driver's brake line will NOT SEAL to the caliper!!!! I must of torqued that  thing down at least a thousand times!!! I tried to find some new crush washers but that's another story.

Fast Forward to today. I go to the store to buy two more 1 inch deep sockets (because 15/16 is the smallest size that wouldn't fit) and some more JB Weld. Get back to the house and ta-dah! They don't F-ING FIT!!! WTH???? How can this be? Now I'm really regretting not buying that chisel after staring at it for 15 mins. So I my little pick/driver thingy. Start hammering away and it snaps in half. Grrrr. So I grab the angle grinder and I start to grind that  smug wheel lock in half when I remembered TC50 saying to grind on the lock so the JB weld can bite and I momentarily start doing just that. I put the socket on and it I can tell that it is gripping the lock. So I grab the BFH and holy  it's on there. Wait? I forgot the JB!!! it all!!! But just for kicks a put a rachet on there and with very little m-f-ing resistance the lock turns. It turned so easy I though the socket was spinning around the lock. Ass. Passenger side was the same way.

So I finally get the wheels off to inspect the brakes and I discover that I can kill two birds with one stone. The caliper was leaking from the piston being overextended because whoever did the rear brakes last forgot to put the rear inner brake pad on. =/

I am Sofa King Pissed and Happy at the same time.

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #26
if only my brakes would work like that.  I know the pump will run if I jump the relay (new relay from ford)  *runs out to check fluid level*

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #27
when I "checked" mine it apppeared to be ok. just a little on the low side.  I accidentally overfilled it and I noticed that it would receed everytime I did so.

is your "brake" light on in the instrument cluster? is your brake pedal hard as a rock?

Quote from: 88turbo
if only my brakes would work like that.  I know the pump will run if I jump the relay (new relay from ford)  *runs out to check fluid level*

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #28

One 88

Wheel Lock Removal

Reply #29
May be a little late, but for future reference.... If I need to get a wheel lock off at a junk yard I tighten the three other lugs as tight as I can and simply loosen the wheel lock by hand, at most with vice grips. It's crazy simple and usually works. At least give it a shot.