Skip to main content
Topic: Easy Horsepower? (Read 2675 times) previous topic - next topic

Easy Horsepower?

I was wondering how I could get some more horsepower out of my 87 cougar that has a 5.0 engine.  I am putting a k&n filter in there but don't know what else I could go with.  Help me out? Keep in mind I am on a limited budget being in college and all. Thanks

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #1
change to flow masters or dynaflows... i think that will give you something..

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #3
Quote from: rw289
Easy Horsepower?

No such thing... Start Here: http://www.coolcats.net/tech/ , read through all of it, then come back and quiz us. We'll help you out where that info leaves off ;) !!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #4
If you want anything to work for a Cougar/Bird most of all Power you are going to have to dish some cash out, and put in some time. I would suggest a custom exhaust system to start with. Mine only cost $700 for everything. If you can get away with it, find a shop that will get a system on without Cats. That saves a good bit of money.

You could also put a BBK Cold Air Kit on for $150 give or take. My dad did that to his 88 and it kicked up a little bit of power.

Lastly, the best place to check for cheap power would be the boneyards, or the boneyard of the net EBAY. :D

Goodluck! Keep us posted!
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #5
Let's see...
1 pull the air baffle thingy from the inside of the fender
2 bump up the timing a bit
3 HO upper intake manifold, throttle body and spacer plate
4 make sure everything is clean and set properly. If your 5.0 isn't happy, it isn't going to perform well ;)

Budget is the limit and college budgets suck. I'm on one now wohooo!!

Good luck and welcome aboard! If you can't find what you need, post about it and we're here to help :D

Interesting

Reply #6
Ok I updated my profile for whoever cares.  But yeah I was planning on putting a nice exhaust system without the cats since we are country folk in Indiana and we don't believe in quiet cars or trucks.  Also I was wondering what you guys thought about putting a Mustang upper intake manifold on there with the mustang throttle body and everything?  I think i could find that at a salvage yard around here, there is a big place down the road that has everything.  Just throwing that out there?

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #7
Mustang manifold, yep... Posted above you ;)

Look for one too off a Lincoln Mark VII. They were HOs as well and the manifold is the same as Mustangs.

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #8
Quote from: 5.0willgo
Let's see...
1 pull the air baffle thingy from the inside of the fender

I removed the air silencer and i dont hear a difference (does it really silence anything?) and i dont feel a difference, but i have also heard that it takes 20 horsepower increase for a person to feel a difference (i seriously doubt that gave me 20). but anyways i guess if what ive heard is right, remember your gonna have to buy/do $20 worth of stuff to it to make it feel stronger.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #9
Quote from: rw289
since we are country folk in Indiana and we don't believe in quiet cars or trucks. 

Amen brother!

Im from Ft Wayne

i think i felt a difference when i put the stang shorties and h-pipe on my car... not bad.. then i threw some cherry bomb turbo II's on it sounds nice and all under $300

and the ho upper helped me out too :D

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #10
Quote from: grutinator
remember your gonna have to buy/do $20 worth of stuff to it to make it feel stronger.

You're in for a rude surprise. 

At 20 bucks, you're only fixing things that are broken already.
Willpower is no match for Horsepower.

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #11
How effective are underdrive pulleys on the non-HO 5.0's? They sure seem to work good on Mustangs and aren't that expensive :dunno:

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #12
is the baffle thing the thing that bolt son to the other half of the box i cant remember and i dont have my car to refferance from. i miss my car so much
1986 Cougar LS

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #13
Removing the air silencer on my car (3.8 even) did provide a noticable difference.  Not "I think it did" but a seat of the pants, goes up hills easier improvement.
One 88

Easy Horsepower?

Reply #14
Ok fellas. I took out the air silencer thingy out of the fender which was more work than it needed to be.  Now I have the k&n filter ordered and in a couple of weeks I should be in the market for the mustang intake manifold.  Thanks for the help guys, if you think of anything else let me know!!:D