Skip to main content
Topic: How did you started working with cars ? (Read 1742 times) previous topic - next topic

How did you started working with cars ?

Tell us how did you started to work in cars...since i dont have much memory , i only remember it was messing with the cougar...like 5 or 6 or more years ago...

Now i´m trying to work with F.I. cars, but these aren´t easy to understand...

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #1
ever sence i was old enough to pick stuff up i would take it apart, try and put it back together, or make something out of it. started with electronic toys, moved on to bikes, then gokarts, and eventualy cars. im not happy unless im working on something.

Reply #2
I don't understand the question?

Reply #3
almost the same as nate other than the fact its in my blood.. my family has been nothing but speed on wheels.. ever since i could walk ive been in the garage helping someone do something to a car
doesnt help that my mom owned a 71 chevelle with a 454 in it... ;-) she used to run the powderpuff circuts

and now im here

Reply #4
Quote from: gunkel04
I don't understand the question?

I think there might be a word missing... "How did you get started working on cars?"  English isn't MexCougar's first language, but he does better than some of us who have spoken it all our lives, heh.

Since I'm posting... I started out being out in the garage with my father.  He was part-owner of  body shop for a while, an insurance adjuster before that, and before he had his stroke, he was installing Spraybake brand paintbooths in bodyshops in the tri-state area. He's done a few hundred anyway, I bet. Anyway, that's how I got started.  And, my very first car was an '84 Ford LTD (Midsize).  The first work I did to it was a heater core ;)  And that's how I got started on foxes, even though I wasn't crazy about the car when I first saw it, it was all I could do to hold back tears when I dropped it off at the junkyard.

Reply #5
i guess i started with  the little thing like remote control cars then bires then any thing that move that had screws i tore apart. but cars were a give away since i can remember my dads friend,my uncle kevin( no relation but is a better uncle than some that are in my family) has had some thing cool and or fast to drive. he has had a 1930 Duece Coupe since i can remember with the 350 Chevy and was turquise with awesome flames. and then it got totaled so now it is black with chrome mags & side pipes and chrome undercarrage. he i would have to say was the start of my interst in cars and then i bought my 400 dollars black 86 ls, which i hated for the first year i owned it because i was a Chevy guy and i thought the car was ugly but it grew on me the longer it sat in the driveway as i wated to turn 16 and now i love it and have big plans for the car and now i get to take a car apart and when i breck something i cant get in trouble because i bought it the only good part of growing up.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #6
I have been into cars since I can remember and have hundreds of diecasts and model kits from when I was younger. I guess I started learning about how cars are put together by building those models.

I didn't start working on any real cars until recently when I got my Cougar as my first car in 2001. I did help out in the garage when my grandfather would work on the cars but at 9 years old I was mainly a tool fetcher. It has been a tremendous experience thus far doing what I have done to the Cougar and I really enjoy learning new things about it. Nothing is more satisfying than finding a problem, fixing it, and it working perfectly.

Reply #7
Quote from: 5.0willgo
Nothing is more satisfying than finding a problem, fixing it, and it working perfectly.

exactly

Reply #8
I started pretty much like Nate: When I was a kid I took all my toys apart. I graduated into my father's CB and ham radio equipment (much to his chagrin), then onto bicyces (every bicycle I've ever owned except the current one was hand built). In the meantime I would always be outside pestering my father when he was working on his '78 Ramcharger, to the point that I ended up supplanting him for family vehicle maintenance/repair. On the day my mother traded her '84 Voyageur in on an '84 Cherokee I had to replace a flat tire on it. My mother went out to take the van in and it had the flat. My father simply said "Get the boy to do it". I was 12.

I seriously got into mechanical work, though, when I got my first car in 1989. It was a '78 Trans Am that I've bored the messageboard members with stories about many times before, so I won't get too much into it, except for the fact that it was a $600 car and I had barely enough money for the gas tank, much less maintenance and repairs. I learned a lot on that car (for instance, did you know that valve covers off a burned 267 will still work on a 350? And, completely related, did you know it's not a good idea to beat your valve covers in with a hammer when you skin your knuckes once too often while working on the car? :hick: Apparently rocker arms and valve covers should not touch...) and it ignited my passion for cars.

Of course, my knack for working on electrical things coupled with my passion for cars steered me into specializing in vehicle electronics. While most of the technicians I'd worked with were content with replacing a part, I was always the type to be more interested in why a part failed, and how I could prevent it from failing again.  Especially if I saw a pattern, where the same part kept failing in several vehicles.  Because of this I was frequently involved with GM techline , providing input for TSB's,  etc. Then, that fateful January 29th, 1998, a cellphone-talking meathead tried to stuff his Mazda up the tailpipe of my Volvo, at 50MPH, and my carreer was thus ended. I can still do automotive work, but not on a 40-hour-per-week basis, nor on a heavy duty basis, so I resorted to installing police equipment into RCMPcars. This provided a paycheque, but it also provided valuable customizing/fabrication experience, and the part time basis provided me with the time to pursue other ventures, such as Thundercat Electronixx.

One thing I had never really had a chance to get into in a big way was vehicle customizing, until the police car thing. ON my own cars I'd install a stereo or remote starter, maybe some wheels, but never anything major. Finally, after a lifetime of wanting to but not having the funds or the place to do it, I am starting the customizations of my Thunderbird.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
I started my work on cars when I purchased my first 1979 Cougar XR7  for $100 not running all the car needed was a timing chain and she purred like a kitten well a big kitten.

Reply #10
I think the reason I first got into cars was because of my best friend- I remember that I began reading Hot Rod and Four Wheeler magazine (that I checked out from the school library) in the fourth grade. Pro Street was all the rage back then and I just thought those cars were so cool, and I wanted to learn more. I started reading car mags all the time, and before long I knew a lot but I had never actually worked on a car. In the 8th grade I was convinced that I wanted to be an auto mechanic, but my parents dissuaded me from that idea (sometimes I wonder if I shoulda stuck with it). Funny thing is, I always bugged my dad to take me to the garage when he worked on the car, but since I liked to sleep in til about 10 on weekends he always took off and went down early and I never got to go. I didn't REALLY work on my car until after my senior year of high school, and even that was some real minor stuff. I've really taught myself everything I know. I tend to just jump into projects with both feet and get them done (like doing the brake swap on my old Mustang and rebuilding the engine for my thunderbird). I think I'm doing pretty well for myself...I've always thought that I had a fairly high mechanical aptitude, I like stuff like fabrication, and I feel like I can do any job on my car as long as I have the right tools & equipment (of course that's probably not always the case :p)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #11
When I was little, I loved cars...used to drive past the junkyards in the Philly area and see huge stacks of crushed cars...I would say, "boo-tiful mommy, boo-tiful!"...My first drawing was a shaky oval with two shaky circles under it and I called it a car when I was 2 yrs old.  I think the real clincher was when my bro let me start up his old '76 T/A...set up for 1/8th mile...that was a milestone in my memory.  It was his first car at 16yrs old...I was 5yrs old.  My sister also got a '72 Mustang "fastback" at the same time.  I grew up taking things apart and putting them back together, very much like Nate said.  I think we all have pretty much the same mechanical sickness...lol.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #12
This is the first question that is asked when you start an auto class and I'm always the one who NEVER worked on a car when they were little, in fact I hated working on cars when I was little. Well I wouldn't call it "working" as much as it was standing around grabbing tools and pumping brakes and more standing around. Actually I didn't even know how to change a tire until my junior year in High School. lol.

After I got out of the military I started wrenching on my 84 Eldorado and I would literally go out at dawn and stop at sunset. Some days I would even forget to eat. I was hooked. And that was the first car I disassembled to non-repair. A habit I still cannot seem to let go of. :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #13
Ever since I was born. My dad bought his Chevelle 2 months after I was born, and wasnt afraid to do burnouts with an infant in the front seat. I got so used to it, there was nothing my mom could do to keep me away from that car. I then worked on a 72 C10, and my jetskis, then disassembled gokarts. Now I mess around with paint, after all of grade school sketching on notebooks, and spray painting lawn mowers and bikes.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #14
well like nate and a few others when i was a kid id tear things apart then try to put them together. sometimes without sucsess. then my uncle took me out to work on is little dodge ram truck thats when i was hooked. then helping dad with his ol crown vic. then when i was 16 i was supose to get a cougar the 83-86 body style but unsure what year the cougar was cuz my grandma had it out in back of her house in the weeds and she told me i could have it as long as i got it out. so when i was gonna head down to get it she told me when i got there she already junked it. and at that time i wasn't too happy but i got over it and look at me now possibly gonna build a race car out of the 84 :evilgrin:  but that bout sums up how i started working on cars. oh and school and tv shows did help me out a bit.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com