Skip to main content
Topic: How did you started working with cars ? (Read 1741 times) previous topic - next topic

How did you started working with cars ?

Reply #15
i always would mess with my toys. break them, then fix them agian.
I still do it with computers and cars. i was always messing with my stuff. even tore apart my "armatron" from radio shack and got it back working, stereos, bikes, toys, I would mess with everything, and I have always loved cars, prolly had over a 1000 hot wheels at one time, gave them to younger cousins, but still have a few choice ones. so eventually my need to tinker moved to cars.. and eventually computers.

Reply #16
I started working on my cars with my Dad when I was 5 ( I messed around with my bikes all the time when I was a kid too......hell.....anything that was mechanical interested me). He taught me everything I know and most importantly the lesson of "If you're gonna do something, do it right the first time"

Reply #17
Like a lot of the others, I took all my toys apart to see what was inside when I was a kid. Then moved up to bicycles, never owned a new one till the ex-wife bought me one for my birthday. Also messed with old radios and TVs, and built a few electronic kits along the way. Got my first car at 16(with my money from a part time job), mostly had grease under my nails ever since...

Reply #18
Quote from: Nate
ever sence i was old enough to pick stuff up i would take it apart, try and put it back together, or make something out of it. started with electronic toys, moved on to bikes, then gokarts, and eventualy cars. im not happy unless im working on something.

that is just like me. i took my tricycle apart when i was three and it snowballed from there. it's fun to take stuff apart and find out how it works.
86 thunderbird elan

86 mustang coupe

Reply #19
I got into cars because my family owned a car and semi repair shop. From birth till I was around 14 or so, it's all I knew. While most kids were playing around in the backyard I was in the shop wondering/looking/absorbing/learning everything I could. At 14 my father passed away from cancer, and 2 years later the family business shut it's doors. I wish me and my dad could have done a father/son project.  Cars are a part of my life, without them, I don't know what I would do.

Reply #20
I started working on my cars with my Dad when I was 5

From birth till I was around 14 or so, it's all I knew.

---------------------
No wonder everyone knows more than me here..  :bowdown:

I didn't have a car until I was about 20 (lots of bus riding), then didn't work on it until the 3.8L head gasket blew (88 LS) a few years ago, which I would have never attempted without finding this board & coolcats.

Although, about 5 years ago, I did do the bondo job in my sig after meeting up with a deer. :hick:

V6->V8HO 88 LS
5.0L V8 87 XR7

Reply #21
I just got tired of getting ripped off by shady mechanics. I still have alot to learn, but at least now I know some basic terminology and principles, and also have met some very generous people on this board.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #22
I've been into cars since I was a kid, but didn't have a car guy in my family, so I was never exposed to working on them.

I really didn't start doing any work until I was 18 and it was just a case of realizing I could do the work I was paying someone else to do.  So with the help of a buddy and just diving in and doing it, I taught myself how to work on cars.  That's really all it takes is doing it.  I made my share of mistakes and chased around stupid problems, but who hasn't.  I rarely (read: never) have help when I'm working either, so it's kind of my "own" time.

Once I started I couldn't stop, so here I almost 20 years later to still doing it, and enjoying it.  There isn't a project or job that I'm afraid to tackle really.

Having the web now as an info base is immensely helpful.  You can only get so much info out of manuals and questioning "real" mechanics.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #23
when i bought my 1st car for $100. that should tell ya there, it need some work. it ran though!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #24
I never did start.  I was born with a wrench in my hand.
One 88

Reply #25
My family is chock full of car nuts, and I got sucked into it as well.  The first big project was when my dad used to race at a local race track and we built the race car.  Being so young, I never got to do "the fun/cool stuff," but as I get older, my dad lets me do more and more of those fun/cool things.  I'll have a much bigger role in the HO conversion and I'm pretty excited to dig in :) .