Skip to main content
Topic: And so it begins... (Read 7540 times) previous topic - next topic

And so it begins...

Here are the latest pictures of the '86.
I've cleaned and assembled the interior, installed the TC hood, and cleaned the engine. I've also removed some of the trim (all of it will come off) and I'm picking up some new tires this Saturday.
Lemmie know whatcha think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #1
Eye h8 ewe.

I'm jealous, but it's an awesome car.

And so it begins...

Reply #2
The side shot. A set of turbines will go on and the 10-holes will undergo restoration.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #3
Lookin' good :D

And so it begins...

Reply #4
Was that molding hard to remove or was it pretty much ready to come off?

Also, did you fix the hood release already?

Are you going to tint this before CJ?
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

And so it begins...

Reply #5
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I appreciate it.

Quote from: Cougars 2 go
Was that molding hard to remove or was it pretty much ready to come off?

It was very hard to remove. The adhesive tape that Ford used back must have been the best possible. I couldn't physically pull the trim off because I was worried about affecting the shape of the metal. No lie. I had to use a long razor blade and "saw" through the adhesive. Even the fishing line trick didn't work.

Also, did you fix the hood release already?

Yes. I also re-attached the fuse box and installed the insulation panel. Almost everything is assembled on the inside. I even replaced the light bulb in the stock radio for the LCD display.
I'm going to focus on the exterior before Cat Jam.

Are you going to tint this before CJ?

Most likely. This weekend will be tires, more body preparation and possibly tint.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #6
Quote from: cougarcragar
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I appreciate it.

It was very hard to remove. The adhesive tape that Ford used back must have been the best possible. I couldn't physically pull the trim off because I was worried about affecting the shape of the metal. No lie. I had to use a long razor blade and "saw" through the adhesive. Even the fishing line trick didn't work.

Yes. I also re-attached the fuse box and installed the insulation panel. Almost everything is assembled on the inside. I even replaced the light bulb in the stock radio for the LCD display.
I'm going to focus on the exterior before Cat Jam.

Most likely. This weekend will be tires, more body preparation and possibly tint.

, this dude aint screwing around.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

And so it begins...

Reply #7
So Zach when we gona fix that heater core of yours?  Also, guess what I dug out of my garage...  ze intercooler
One 88

And so it begins...

Reply #8
Yeah, that molding is a bitch to remove....ugh.

Is the rag on the intake due to leaking injectors?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

And so it begins...

Reply #9
Car looks great so far! Can't wait to see it at Cat Jam.
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

And so it begins...

Reply #10
Glad to see someone like you got such a rare car Zach.  Is that rust I see peeking out at the bottom of the door there?  If so, what are your plans for repairing it?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

And so it begins...

Reply #11
So Zach when we gona fix that heater core of yours?  Also, guess what I dug out of my garage...  ze intercooler

I would like to tackle it before Cat Jam, but I'm in no real hurry. I have to buy one first, and I know only to get Ford. I suppose I have to visit the dealership.
The intercooler swap should happen before Cat Jam. ;)

Is the rag on the intake due to leaking injectors?

Nah. I stuffed 'em down there to soak up the water from cleaning the engine. The injectors have been replaced within the past few years. There was still masking tape on the wires with numbers written on 'em.

Is that rust I see peeking out at the bottom of the door there? If so, what are your plans for repairing it?

Yeah, it is. The "dew wipes" on both doors are totally shot. As a result, water gets into the door. The passenger door is fine, but the driver door needs some work.
I was thinking about cleaning it all out and laying fiberglass in the bottom of the door. Then I could grind out all the bad areas and try to patch it up.
I'm also keeping an eye out for some solid door(s) so I can just do a replacement.

Thanks again for all the comments!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And so it begins...

Reply #12
Nice. I told you you'd be back into a fox eventually :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

And so it begins...

Reply #13
Very cool. I know you liked your old 86 and it's definitely nice to see that you got a rare '86 XR7! So have you done the highly popular 20 lbs of boost mod, yet? :)

To quote nick:

:bowdown:  [SIZE="7"]GOT BOOST??[/SIZE] :bowdown:
"1FSTCAT" - 87 Mercury Cougar XR7, 5 Speed, Powerdyne Supercharger.

"NTRCPTR" - 91 Crown Vic Police Interceptor - 460 POWERED. 14.15 @ 97 MPH, untuned.

And so it begins...

Reply #14
Zach, I'll get you the part numbers for the dew wipes this weekend and post them here. I'll also keep an eye out for the correct door panels. :)