Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 transplant (Read 12177 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 5.0 transplant

Reply #45
cool.  Thanks.

Reply #46
If I was to pick up a 5.0 HO that originally had an automatic I need to get a flywheel, correct?  Is the $60 dollar flywheel from like advance or autozone OK?  Or do I need to spend more on it?

Reply #47
Transmission Crossmember - If you examine your crossmember, you will see that it is either shaped like [----] or like [____]. You can grind the welds on the ends, off, and then slide the horizontal piece up and down, in relation to the ends, or you can buy the manual transmission piece. Whatever floats your boat.

Got that from Eric's site. 

Does this mean that any crossmember from a mustang will work or does it have to be from a t-5 mustang?

Reply #48
I have painted my engine bay and many parts to help the look of the final product. I have relocated the battery to the trunk.  I am now working on getting my interior put back together and the engine wiring.  I do have a question I would like help with.

On the pedal assembly, there are two sensors/switches.  One working directly off of the clutch pedal and the other works off of the quadrant.  What are these and can I ignore them?  I wasn't planning on hooking up the neutral safety switch, but it looks like a lot for just a neutral safety switch.  Thanks, Jason.

Reply #49
did you reuse the stock quadrant? they suck you know. id get an aluminum one and use an adjustable cable. as specially if you havnt allready installed the assembly. its MUCH easier to dis assemble the factory plastic adjuster and pawl (quadrant) and install an aftermarket one outside of the car than it is inside the car. you ended up using a 4cyl assembly right? the one slider to the driver side most side of the assembly is for the clutch in switch. the only other one i can think of is on the brake pedal for the brake lights. mine came from a 5.0 mustang but im pretty sure the 4cyl is the same other than having a shorter arm.

you shouldnt need another booster for the cable to go through. you will if you decide to use a firewall adjuster though.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #50
Yes I am using the aftermarket aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster.  The pedals came from a 5.0 stang.  That brings me to a new prob., I have no idea how to install the cable or the firewall adjuster or how the adjuster works.  I have never seen one.  Hopefully I will see a complete one in the salvage yard so I can get an idea of how it works.  I spent all day on the engine wiring and what a mess.  I am having trouble identifiying what is what.  I figured out two wires of the 9 that I have to splice.  I think.

Reply #51
well, the cable and adjuster are str8 forward installs. below and toward the center of the car their is a rubber grommet. pop it out and that is where the cable goes through. if the pedals are allready installed you should be able too see the quadrant on the other side of the firewall.

im not sure about your particular firewall adjuster but the one i got cant be installed with the stock tbird brake booster (mine is an 88) yours may be different. its too big and doesnt leave enough room for a firewall adjuster. i need to get a mustang booster in order to use my firewall adjuster. i ended up geting an adjustable cable for now. it does the same thing as the firewall adjuster but the adjustment is on the bellhousing end so i have to get under the car to adjust the cable...no biggie.

the cable should have a bracket on it. if you look below the battery (should be on the drivers side for the 5.0 swap) and towards the direction of the rear of the car about 10 inches their is a hole. the bracket catches that hole and screws in. the cable is routedpast the headers and down and by the filter and back to the bellhousing. you will figure it out when its right there in front of you. id post pics but my camera died by the hands of my 17 month old.

~John~

Reply #52
Thanks for the info.  What do you do about the spacing on the quadrant?  It has room to slide in and out after I place it on the shaft.  Am I supposed to leave the original spring on it to maintain the mounting point?  Am I supposed to use the spring?  The instructions on the kit I bought don't go into any detail at all.

The good news is that I think I got all of the wires figured out and the matching counter parts on the 87 wiring harness.

Reply #53
well, i reused the factory clip. there was some side to side play on the shaft. the tension on the cable should keep it right where it needs to be.

~John~

Reply #54
How long can an engine sit around and still be good?  I can get an HO motor out of an 89 mustang GT with 64,000 miles on it for $650.00, but it's been out of the car for like 4 yrs and sitting in a garage.

Reply #55
Quote from: jasontbird
How long can an engine sit around and still be good?  I can get an HO motor out of an 89 mustang GT with 64,000 miles on it for $650.00, but it's been out of the car for like 4 yrs and sitting in a garage.

Sa long as it isn't stuck and turns over freely it should be fine.. BUT occasionally the valve(s) that are open can rust and not seal completly, causing them to burn once its put into use again.

I'd try to knock him down enough to pay for a valve job, gaskets and front/rear main seals...

Reply #56
What's a "valve job"?  Ive heard that term before but not really sure what all that entails.  Would you replace the front and rear main seals on any engine before you put it in car anyways?  Is it easy to put those on or is it finicky to get them on right? 

This engine does not come with the accessories, or headers.  Does have the intake and throttle body.  What do you think it's worth?  The price on it was actually $550.00 plus $100.00 core.  I am almost to the point where I think I should just buy a rebuilt engine.  I could get one of those for $2000.00.  I am scared of getting a used engine, putting it in, and then it not work well.

Reply #57
id offer 300-350. im a cheep  though.

~John~

Reply #58
Im still thinking about the motor thing.  I figure if it has sat for this long another week won't hurt.  I think $650.00 is too much.  I think $450.00 would have to be max. for it.

What do I have to do to leave off the neutral start switch?  Im not just leaving it out to be lazy, I honestly like it better with out it.  I figure I could just loop the wires together that came from the automatic transmission netral start switch.  Is that true?

Reply #59
I figure I could just loop the wires together that came from the automatic transmission netral start switch. Is that true?

yup
thats what i did...but nobody drives my car either. at least not without me. just dont forget to splice in the reverse light switch at the same time.

~John~