Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 transplant (Read 12179 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 5.0 transplant

Reply #30
It would make me very happy if my struggles can help you or anyone else for that matter.  I am trying to have this thing together and running before my baby is born so my wife can have back the garage.  I can see now it will be pretty tight to make that deadline but I will try my best.  I mainly want to do it correctly so it will be fully functional when I am done.  Choosing to do the 5 speed made it even harder but I just can't see having the power with a column shift.  I also want to switch to the handbrake (I love to lock up those rear wheels) but I think I can do that after I am done with everything else, but if it will save me time I may try to do that as well while there is tons of room to work around.

Reply #31
Being that it is very nasty weather here today I am not going to pull the car outside to wash that engine bay.  Instead I am working on getting the interior work done.  I am pulling out the steering column, e-brake pedal, and pedal assembly to make way for the T-5 swap.  Is it possible for someone to tell me the measurements on the hole to cut in the floor for the T-5 shifter?  Or am I going to have to wait until I get the engine and trans.??  Thanks, Jason.

Reply #32
I think that you can just get a center console and just cut it out around that hole. I think that there is a write up on coolcats with pictures
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #33
Yes, the writeup on coolcats uses the properly installed center console as a guide.  If I'm not mistaken, there's a printable stencil to cut with, too.

Reply #35
Thanks.  I thought there was something on it, but when I didn't see it under the
5 speed swap I figured I must have saw it on a previous post, but I couldn't find it on the old site.  I did find suitable seats and console from an XR7.  I don't know how I am going to work in the hand-brake yet though.  I may end up forgetting that for now if it becomes too much of a problem, I have enough to do as it is.

Reply #36
I have located a 4 cylinder mustang in my local salvage yard with a transmission in it.  Is this transmission acceptable for my conversion.  The ones listed on Eric's site don't show the 2.3 mustang older than 87, is that the cut-off year for the t-5 in mustangs? I know it has lower gearing, but for $50 bucks can I live with it?  Or is it just worthless in a 5.0 car.

Reply #37
well, it does have lower gearing, itll almost be like you have 3.55's in the rear with a stock T5 tranny

here's the dilly, you can use the transmission only, and the clutch pedal assembly, youll still need a 5.0 flywheel, bellhousing, clutch fork etc.

as for the 4 banger tranny behind a 5.0, ive seen it done many times, ive seen it last, but everyone doesnt recommend it
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #38
Quote from: jasontbird
I have located a 4 cylinder mustang in my local salvage yard with a transmission in it.  Is this transmission acceptable for my conversion.  The ones listed on Eric's site don't show the 2.3 mustang older than 87, is that the cut-off year for the t-5 in mustangs? I know it has lower gearing, but for $50 bucks can I live with it?  Or is it just worthless in a 5.0 car.

The only 4 cyl Stangs older than '87 to have a 5 speed were the turbocharged SVOs. The torque rating for the 4 cyl trannys is around 240 ft lbs, the early(pre '89) "weak" 5.0 T5 was rated at 265 ft lbs.

They do have a deep first gear, 3.97 vs 3.35(or 2.95 for the strongest T5s). So as Shawn stated, 2.73s would be like about like 3.55s. Stick a late '80s Probe pilot bearing in the back of the crank and yes you could use it... I'd locate a spare or two though...

Reply #39
I am seeing in several places that using the 4banger t-5 is not too ideal.  I think I will skip that idea.  I dont want to be pulling it out or scared to get on it.  You also give up some overdrive as well. 

Does the brake booster and master cylinder from the 4 cyl. work in the t-bird?  If I understood it correctly from Eric's site I need to put a stang unit in to get clearance for the clutch cables.

Reply #40
I didn't get to my engine bay yet due to py weather and I had one of those nasty colds.  I tackeled my driveshaft instead.  I painted it and put in new universal joints.[/IMG]

Reply #41
Can I use up to a 95 stang motor?  For some reason I was under the impression I couldn't use anything past 92.  Eric's write up list up to 95.  I didn't know if it caused extra work or what.  Just wondering as I search out for my engine.  I have bid on a couple of engines on ebay that were listed locally but they went for more than what I wanted to pay.  I am being patient, but another couple weekends and I won't have anything to do without the engine and transmission.

Reply #42
Well you can use up to a 95 engine but the accessory mounts are a little different on the 94-95 also they have that weird intake that curves toward the airbox which won't work for you.
I would stay away from the 86 engine as it has really py flat top pistons and very restrictive e6se heads.
Also stay away from the 93-95 engines as they have hyperutechnic pistons which  are not as strong as the 87-92 stang engines forged ones.
You don't have to limit yourself to 89&up engines you can include the 87-88 as well.
They were sd but that doesn't matter as they are exactly the same as the 89-92 mass air engines,only difference being the maf sensor.
The stock maf sensor actually lowered the hp of the 89-92 engines to 215. because it was a restictive 55mm,the tb is 60mm.

Reply #43
Thanks, I thought I had seen some reason to stick with the older engines.

I was planning on running speed density regardless of which motor I get.  Does that mean I will need to swap out the throttle body as well as the air box and inlet tube?  I was thinking I would only need to swap out the air box to eliminate the MAF sensor.  Didn't know about the throttle body being diff.

I suppose I could just leave it up to fate and say if I get a MAF motor then set it up that way and if I get an SD motor set it up that way.  I know that I won't mod this motor for about two years so I was thinking use the SD since it has a little bit more power then convert to mass air once I am ready to modify the engine.

Reply #44
The tb's are all the same on th the 87-93 engines.
The difference lies in the intake tubes that come from the air box.
Instead of on long tube from the air box to the tb,they use 2 smaller tubes and put the maf between them.
The only reason there is an hp loss is because when you put in a stock maf it is smaller than the tb ,ie:bottleneck.