Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 transplant (Read 12176 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 5.0 transplant

Reply #75
looking good. keep the updates coming...

Reply #76
hey jason,give me a call.(270)826-7375.the sooner the better.wish my engine compartment looked that good.you have obviously put a lot of time into your project.its kinda difficult to do those things when its a daily driver like mine.

Reply #77
Thanks guys.  It certainly looks better than it did.  I had trouble deciding where to stop the new paint, so I went as far as any rust went.  I stopped just inside the transmission area and I only painted the motor mount portion of the K-member as it was rusty.  I'm sure it will scratch off my new paint at some point but it makes me feel better.  Im not going to spend a bunch of time on the engine but it will be clean and the overall look should be pretty good.  I want to see how healthy the engine is before I go spending a ton of time painting it.  Im sure I will have it out for a rebuild within a few years anyways. 

30thtbird, I didn't catch your first name.  I would hate to call your house and ask for 30thtbird.  I will try to give you a shout tomorrow as I didn't get home from work tonight until about 8:30pm.

Reply #78
just ask for kenny.

Reply #79
Can someone please tell me which switch is the back-up lights switch?  I think it's the one on the right but I want to be positive. Also, am I supposed to have a cable going to the speed sensor.  I don't seem to have one.  I know mine is an electronic spedometer and odometer but Im not sure how that whole thing works.  Thanks guys, Jason.

Reply #80
here is the pic of the tranny.[/IMG]

Reply #81
yes,its the one on the right.the one in the cover is the nuetral safety switch.

Reply #82
is that a stick? cool beans
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #83
How bad is this??  Drained the oil on the 92 stang engine and there was little metal peelings stuck to the drain plug.  What should I do about it?  Where might it have come from?  Thanks, Jason.[/IMG]

Reply #84
um. yes, metal in the oil pan is BAD. but i would have no clue where that come from.

Reply #85
Quote from: jasontbird
How bad is this??  Drained the oil on the 92 stang engine and there was little metal peelings stuck to the drain plug.  What should I do about it?  Where might it have come from?  Thanks, Jason.

They look a bit large for the distributor gear, but I'd check it out. If it has a cast iron dist gear with the steel roller cam, the dist gear will wear out in a few thousand miles.

At this point definatly pull the oil pan and check the bearings. It ain't no fun trying to get the pan off once the engine is installed....Got first hand experience...  I'm putting bearings in the Blue 5.0 bird, because of the wrong dist being installed in its engine by the rebuilder.... The oil in it looked like metalliac paint :mad:

Reply #86
I had the distribuor out already and it looked fine.  I will try to get the oil pan off tonight and check it out.  I can borrow an engine stand to put the motor on.  This is going to be fun considering I have never took an engine apart before.  All well, first time for everything.  Thanks.

Reply #87
Also on the other side need to be sure it has the roller cam in it. If some one installed a regular cam, the dist gear is eating into it.

If the pan is clean and bearings are ok, guess you'll not know what it is.

Reply #88
If the pan is clean and bearings are ok, guess you'll not know what it is

I'll know if I take the whole engine apart right?  I am guessing if something is bad enough to eat peelings of metal it should be pretty obvious if I look at everything.  I am working on it right now.  Didn't get to it yesterday.  I am trying to mount the engine stand to it but I don't have bolts long enough.  I am afraid to put foreign bolts in the transmission wholes.  I don't want to mess up those threads. I am going to run to home depot and look for some with the same thread.  Thanks.

Reply #89
ooohh!sorry to hear and see.looks to me like a spun bearing. hope its not catastrophic.if you havent already pulled it apart,once you pull the pan,look for darkened rod caps.the discoloration would be noticable.if you need a hand,all you got to do is ask.wouldnt mind at all.got half a mind to drive over there tonight.naw,wouldnt do that unless you asked