Skip to main content
Topic: Kids on Board? (Read 1429 times) previous topic - next topic

Kids on Board?

We took Jezebel out for a drive yesterday and since we're also the proud owners of three little "hot rods", the kids naturally were along for the ride. It was a beautiful sunny day, Mike had been workin' hard to get her runnin' better, and the road was wide open ahead.

I looked over at my sweetie and said, "you know what's gonna be great about the trip to CatJam?" He answered, "we won't have the kids fightin' in back?" I said, "you know it baby!"

Which leads me to wonder, how many of you who have young children share the ride with kids? Or do you keep it sacred, your own grown-up space?

I already told our oldest that he will NEVER drive the cat, except maybe to prom and only if I feel he's responsible enough to do so. [And I know all about being young & irresponsible, so he will have a tough time slidin' anything past me.];)

Kids on Board?

Reply #1
i dont have kids but i do have a little brother that i let use my bird durring the week.

Kids on Board?

Reply #2
Heh, I'm 17 (18 in August) and this is how my parents have set stuff up for my sister and I (she's going to be 21 in November):

As long as we work hard, get good grades, and act responsibly, we get cool privledges.  We mess up, we lose them.  So far, neither of us have lost them, so over the years we've [very] slowly gained more/better priviledges.  My years of mostly straight As (and a few DREADFUL Bs haha) and good behavior pay off.  My dad has allowed me to drive his 85 Trans Am 305 and his 66 Chevelle on a few occasions, for example.  My parents also have enough trust in me to let me soupe up my Tbird's 5.0 to HO status (~225hp).  If I do something really stupid, they'll take it all away in a heartbeat.  They don't really force it upon us, but they make it to where we don't have a reason to act stupid (and don't even want to).  Sure, we've done typical stupid "kid" things, but nothing  really serious.

So I say, if he truly deserves it, give him his chance.  But that's all up to you to decide, of course.

Oh yeah, my parents have always taken my sis and I for car rides (we've always been good in the car).  Although the back seats of the cars they've been buying are getting smaller and smaller each time....  :giggle:

Kids on Board?

Reply #3
well lets put it this way,......

When I was 16, I spun a tire at every light, took out a fire hydrant,(luckly, doors are only a 10 minute job) backed into a subaru, and I did acouple of burnouts. Oh and I would race anyone. Wait till their 18 to take it for any extended time. I wish I would have with mine.

But if you are there, I would let them any day of the week.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Kids on Board?

Reply #4
Lol, when i was 14, i convinced my mom to buy an '00 LS V6/auto (to replace her '90 Accord); stole it and got a ticket for driving under the age, right after i was doing 122 on the back stretch of the lake.  Great car, since replaced with an '04 TL (hott as hell).  But not as fun as dad's '04 Z350.

When I was 16, I was lucky to buy my own car ('86 TC).  Thank god i got a slow car to start off on!

Kids on Board?

Reply #5
some of you people are so lucky ...my parents dont let me do shiznit(pardon my french) they wont even let me go and get my licence. because i dont have drivers ED and suposeivly if i dont have that i fail automaiticly ....so thank your lucky stars ur parents kick ass

Z
hunting for another 87-88 bird
If it's got tits or tires its gunna cost you money !

Kids on Board?

Reply #6
me and my daughter crusie in the cat all the time listening to her mary had a lil lamb cd

Kids on Board?

Reply #7
I started with an 88 GT Stang (my dad's), but my first and only car has been my 88 TC, and it was built up from the day I first took it for a drive, I rebuilt it myself, figured out what I wanted to do and have continued to modify it over the past two years since I got my license, and despite an early speeding ticket (learned the hard way) and recently an exhaust ticket (which I'm still griping about), I'd say I've been pretty responsible despite the speed.

If you're raised on fast cars and you do the work yourself, and you're not rich, you tend to be responsible I guess.  And I may break stuff drag racing at the track, but at least I'm doing it at the track and not breaking the law.  And it's much more satisfying to have time slips than kills for me.
Long time Turboford freak...
84 SVO
88 TC
87 XR4Ti

Kids on Board?

Reply #8
I agree with that compleatly, I got pulled over the day after I got my license do 50 in a 25. Speedo only said 35-40 though, and it wasent in a school zone or anything. Also, that was in a 5000lb crown vic wagon.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Kids on Board?

Reply #9
My kids love the Cats as much as my husband and I do.  They come to CJ with us too..... I wouldn't dream of leaving them out of the love for these cars.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Kids on Board?

Reply #10
only problem we had was the 83 only has 2 rear seatbelts, so i had to install new center seatbelts (from an 86, i think) so we could fit the 3 of them back there..... the full console gets in the way a little, but they don't seem to mind.

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Kids on Board?

Reply #11
I remember riding in the back of my neighbor's all original 67 Chevelle SS 396 when it didn't have any seat belts back there.

Kids on Board?

Reply #12
Quote from: hundred_dollar_5.0_t-bird
some of you people are so lucky ...my parents dont let me do shiznit(pardon my french) they wont even let me go and get my licence. because i dont have drivers ED and suposeivly if i dont have that i fail automaiticly ....so thank your lucky stars ur parents kick ass

Z

Would you want your kid having a drivers license if theyd jump out of moving cars?
It's Gumby's fault.

Kids on Board?

Reply #13
Quote from: Tbird232ci
Would you want your kid having a drivers license if theyd jump out of moving cars?

Oh snap!:rollin:

It's interesting what y'all have said about driving priveledges. My dadn't let me do anything, so I snuck around and did everything. I think "kingcars" parents have the right idea, which is pretty much what my hubby has said all along.

The kids aren't going  to CatJam, we don't get much couple time so this is it, but I definitely would love to take them to more local events. There don't seem to be as many car shows down here in SC, but when we lived up in Detroit they loved the Auto Show & Autorama and the cruisin'.

Kids on Board?

Reply #14
Quote from: hundred_dollar_5.0_t-bird
...they wont even let me go and get my licence. because i dont have drivers ED ...

That's ridiculous!  Driver's ed is OPTIONAL!  Why would they require someone to learn how to drive before they're allowed to?  Stupid Parents!