Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Tbird regular 5.0 questions (Read 2076 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Tbird regular 5.0 questions

My dad and I are checking out the 5.0 HO conversion site (http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/ho_conversion.html) and it mentioned getting a stock HO camshaft, which is a roller cam.  We were wondering if the camshaft in the regular stock 5.0 is a roller cam too because if it isnt, we may need fingers to hold the lifters on.  Also, does the stock block have the bosses to bolt the fingers to?  Thanks for your time.

Reply #1
I believe all 86 and newer blocks are rollers. 87 and 88 for sure. The Mustang cam will work in your block with your stock lifters, pushrods and rockers
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Ok, thanks for the info!  Will we need fingers for the lifters or are they rollers already?

Reply #3
The lifters are rollers
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #4
Ok, great!  Thanks so much.

Reply #5
see if you can get e7's on there too, they will help the new cam breath alot better.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Yeah, we're going to get all the pieces on that list before we do the conversion.  Might as well do it right the first time :) .

Reply #7
Yep 5.0 SO are all roller. Mine is :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #8
Good, good.  Well, it's time to check the first part off the list of conversion parts cause we just got an HO upper intake on ebay for $5.50 (plus shipping, unfortunately haha).  1 part down...lots to go...

Reply #9
Quote from: thunderjet302
Yep 5.0 SO are all roller. Mine is :D

Mean 5.0 HO right.....

Reply #10
86-88's were all rollers stock. Everything before that was flat tappet.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #11
86-88's were all rollers stock. Everything before that was flat tappet.

Generally...yes. 1985 was the first year for a roller block in a Mustang. All the books list 1986 as the first year for other Fords (Cougar, Thunderbird, Grand Marquis, etc.). But it seems the roller block was a running change for the 1986 model year with the Cougars & T-Birds. I've talked to a couple of people that cracked open their stock early-'86 engines and found they still had solid lifters. I don't think they were all roller until sometime after November 1985. All of my '86 cars have been late builds (March, June) so they definitely had roller blocks.

Reply #12
Yep all late 86-88 Tbird/Cougar 5.0 SO were rollers. There has been fights on panther boards about when Crown Vics/Grand Marquis got roller blocks but the agreement has been late 86 model year and up 5.0 SO were all roller. Now I don't think the 5.0 SO had a double roller timing chain like the HO though but I could be wrong....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
You're right---they were single roller timing chains. Also, the 1986 timing chain sprockets were steel, but the 1987-88's were plastic. Yep...plastic. Thanks for the weight savings, Ford! ;)

Reply #14
I would rather be 1 billionth slower in the 18 second second 1/4 mile.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.