Skip to main content
Topic: 88 Tbird regular 5.0 questions (Read 2110 times) previous topic - next topic

88 Tbird regular 5.0 questions

Reply #15
Ooooo, yay, plastic!  Chalk up another thing I'm going to be replacing...  :toilet:

Reply #16
Eric, I don't think the plastic gears were for weight savings, I think they were for NVH. At least I hope so, because I would hate to think Ford did something like that for weight savings. Not that nylon gears are inherently bad - many of these timing sets have gone well over 200k miles - but the weight savings might net you what, 1 billionth of a second in the quarter?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
thanks to reading wat you guys just said i'm doing the conversion.

Reply #18
Just my advice but if you’re shopping for heads and an intake. Go with the 96-97 1/4 explorer heads they are the exact same as 93 cobra gt-40.and intakes on 96-up are modified gt-40.but only cause you’re replacing them.

Reply #19
Thanks a lot for that info.  I'm on a low budget and the regular H.O. 5.0 stuff is in my price range right now.  I have already bought the H.O. upper intake, but I'll see if I come across that set of heads you recommended.  Also, what does the 1/4 stand for?

@ XR7 Greg - Cool!  Have fun and good luck with your conversion!  :D

Reply #20
Also, what does the 1/4 stand for?

The first 1/4 of the 97 model year;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
How can I tell the difference between the first 1/4 of the '97 model heads and the other 3/4?  Is it a part number difference?

Reply #22
Yes. The later heads are GT40P, the spark plugs are at a different angle than the regular GT40. Supposedly they require a special header, but people in this forum have used regular 50 headers with them, just with a different spark plug boot
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #23
Oh I see, thanks :) .

Dad and I took a trip to the junkyard (in the Tbird, of course) to see what 5.0 HO parts they have, but the guy my dad normally talks to wasnt there and it started raining.  Oh well, maybe another day.